Second Windshield Cracked

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
2K miles ago my previous JLUR had a rock hit the windshield, crack formed and safelite replaced - all while damaging my window frame in the process. New 2019 JLUR picked up after FCA bought back my 2018 - 900 miles on the odometer and a rock as big as my fist hits the windshield with enough force to leave pieces of glass on the inside.

At a loss for these windshield replacements...

475021C5-F1AA-466B-9DB7-E8292EAE3908.jpeg

DC85E384-85D0-424C-9327-60B9C87945F5.jpeg
Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I’ve aftermarket glass and after 5k miles it’s holding up well. I’ve been tagged a couple times and, if it were factory glass, it would be cracked.

This is the company that makes it - https://coachglass.com/

No listing on their website for Jeep but my installer found it there.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I’ve aftermarket glass and after 5k miles it’s holding up well. I’ve been tagged a couple times and, if it were factory glass, it would be cracked.

This is the company that makes it - https://coachglass.com/

No listing on their website for Jeep but my installer found it there.
Unfortunately the rock that hit was so big, unless I had bulletproof glass it was going to crack one way or another. The damn dump truck kept changing lanes and did my best not to stay behind him

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Unfortunately the rock that hit was so big, unless I had bulletproof glass it was going to crack one way or another. The damn dump truck kept changing lanes and did my best not to stay behind him
Yeah, that one looks more like a rifle shot!

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I white knuckle grip the wheel every time I am behind a dump truck for exactly that reason. Windshield killers.

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
A rock that big!? I imagine it must've fallen out of the need of a truck. I can't figure how a rock that big would have been kicked up from the road surface...?

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
Won't matter with a rock the size of your fist, it would demolish any windshield like that.

This is our burden for owning a vehicle with a more upright windshield. It is bound to happen at any time. It is only a matter of time before I get one. Luckily less and less of my travel has been interstate where all of my cracks, chips, and knocks have come from.

I wonder if motorcycle forums are full of posts about getting hit by bugs and other road debris as much as I see on here.

My xB is on it's 7th windshield in 13 years of ownership. All of which were replaced under insurance/state laws. Now she is a garage queen that gets out when I want to kayak.

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I read this thread this morning before driving to work. Heard a "click" sound on the interstate and glanced up to see a 6" crack. This thread could be like "The Ring."

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
No worries on the jeep so far, may just be a matter of time. A few years ago I bought a new Mercedes, and in the first 500 miles a rock jumped up and broke the windshield. Dang. not again for the next 100,000 miles. Rocks seem to know a new / nice vehicle..

Sponsored

Sandow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red 2 DR Rubicon
The problem is this is happening without getting hit by anything. Mine cracked without being touched by anything. Just driving down the road with nobody near me. 2 hours after picking it up brand new from the dealership.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
3k miles on mine, holding up great. Wife's BMW has gone through another windshield in the same amount of time. So I am not convinced this is a Jeep issue, but just bad luck with rocks in general. Also, buddy's brand new $150k Mercedes windshield cracked when the defroster went on the first time, so maybe the issue is just during vehicle assembly rather than the glass itself. It would explain how some folks are having no issues yet others seem to have theirs crack without much effort or anything noticeable hitting it.