Trackbar installed incorrectly [Steering Issues]

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Just a note to other JL owners experiencing steering issues.
  • I took it to a local dealer who apparently did a full steering inspection. After the inspection the service manager told me, it drives like a Jeep and that standard transmission Wranglers have looser steering than their automatic counterparts and it has always been that way... cough.. Two different dealerships blew it off.
  • The first thing I did was try and stall an aftermarket steering stabilizer. I decided to go with a Falcon stabilizer, and while it did add sense of tightness to steering and give it a more tactile heavy feel it didn't resolve the steering play.
  • When doing some of my own inspection on steering components I noticed some excessive play in where the draglink connects to the pitman arm... I knew that I would be upgrading steering components later in the life of the Jeep anyway so I took the plunge and bought a Steersmarts draglink. After installing the steering was a bit better, but still not great.
To check the alignment, re-center the steering wheel, and make sure my modifications were good I wanted to take the Jeep into a shop to have my work verified. I'm still super new to Jeeps and steering components in general, so I wanted the things I touched checked. I mentioned to the owner of the shop I've been super frustrated with the potato steering so he took a minute with me and we just started poking around.... then we found this...

IMG_1008 copy.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Trackbar installed incorrectly [Steering Issues] {filename}

It came this way from the factory even though there appears to be a blue line that this was inspected (if that is what it means). After bolting the trackbar correctly to the bracket located behind it and putting the screw all the way through, the way she drives is night and day. After several dealership visits and some out of pocket expense trying to figure out what I could do to fix it - I can close the book on this jeep's steering issues. It's been really frustrating and leaves me disappointed with Jeep but it's fixed. Maybe this can help someone else maybe it won't, but either way this is something to check for.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JESM

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver Moab
Sorry, I dont know much about the steering mechanics, but interested in making the steering better. Can you explain whats wrong with the picture?
Thanks, JESM.

TMac99

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Sorry, I dont know much about the steering mechanics, but interested in making the steering better. Can you explain whats wrong with the picture?
Thanks, JESM.
I just took a look at mine. The trackball should be bolted BETWEEN the bracket and the frame as in this photo from my Sahara.

OP
OP
TeeravX

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
So you see the bracket behind the circled component? The trackbar (circled) is meant to rest in there and the bolt should go all the way through into that hole you see open hole you see.

Instead of being attached to 2 contact points with the bolt centered through both it was installed outside of the bracket.

Last edited:

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
HOLY SMOKES!! I have never seen anything like that before!! I can't believe that made it through the factory inspection and than multiple dealers.. Glad you finally had a competent person see that and get it fixed...

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
So you see the bracket behind the circled component? The trackbar (circled) is meant to rest in there and the bolt should go all the way through into that hole you see open hole you see.

Instead being attached to 2 contact points with the bolt centered through both it was installed outside of the bracket.

That's just so wrong!!! How could Jeep let this type of shitty work out the door?

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait do you have a lift? Those components seam far apart? If you have a lift you need to talk to the installer

AMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG, BMW G650GS
Looks to me like someone installed a lift and wasn't paying attention putting things back together. OR someone worked on the stock suspension and wasn't paying attention putting things back together.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks to me like someone installed a lift and wasn't paying attention putting things back together. OR someone worked on the stock suspension and wasn't paying attention putting things back together.
Thats what I was thinking

OP
OP
TeeravX

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
There is no lift installed, completely stock. (other than the steering stabilizer and draglink). To be clear I would not be messing with steering components willy nilly without following explicit directions and having an understanding of what they do. This has not been tampered with by me, nor any other shop.

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There is no lift installed, completely stock. (other than the steering stabilizer and draglink)
Yikes - i would (at least) have the dealer document that, in case there is any potential fallout from driving on that. That's poor quality (and like someone said) cant believe it passed inspection.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no lift installed, completely stock. (other than the steering stabilizer and draglink). To be clear I would not be messing with steering components willy nilly without following explicit directions and having an understanding of what they do. This has not been tampered with by me, nor any other shop.
That is absolutely amazing...!! I was hoping it was some intern at a "lift" shop screwing up not a major manufacturer.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
That is absolutely amazing...!! I was hoping it was some intern at a "lift" shop screwing up not a major manufacturer.
Really? Kinda normal for a Chrysler, unfortunately. And a Fiat.
Sponsored