Adding a light bar to turn on with led fogs

stimleck

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara
Hello, is it possible to connect my small light bar to turn on with the factory led fogs? I would prefer to not add a seperate nswitch. Than k you in advance
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, of course.
I had my wide beam driving lights on my truck wired to come on with the fogs.

You can do it a few ways.
1) if the fog light circuit has the capacity, you can hook them directly into that wiring.
2) a safer way may be to run a relay off of the fog light circuit, so it energizes the relay when the fog lights are turned on, then the relay provides the bridge between a 12v power source (an unused factory fuse panel circuit is common) and the light bar.
3) (My favorite method) run a wire off of the high beam circuit to a relay which powers the light bar, but put another relay in the same power wire between the light bar and power source, where this relay is switched by an aux switch. What this does is allows you to use your high beams with or without the light bar, but when the high beams are switched to low beams, the light bar also shuts off. Very useful to shut off high beams and any high powered lights with one motion of switching to low beams.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Keep in mind when using the factory fog light circuit as a relay trigger or power source, that fog light circuit is disabled when your high beams are switched on. So, when you go to high beams your light bar would shut off.

I believe the Tazer has a selection to fix the fog lights shutting off when high beams come on.

The better solution is to wire per 3) above. Alternatively, if you really don't want to add a switch, you can simply use one relay tripped by the high beams to turn the light bar off and on.

OP
OP
stimleck

stimleck

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara
thanks for the guidance but to confirm the stock fogs and head lights are the oem led lights, will the methods described above work with led's?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
thanks for the guidance but to confirm the stock fogs and head lights are the oem led lights, will the methods described above work with led's?
Yes. You'll probably want your light bar to work when your high beams are on. Using the fog light circuit won't allow your light bar to be on with high beams, unless you have a Tazer and select that change.

Cptbigdog

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Rubicon
I'm
Yes. You'll probably want your light bar to work when your high beams are on. Using the fog light circuit won't allow your light bar to be on with high beams, unless you have a Tazer and select that change.
Can you draw a diagram. I'm a new keeper and haven't done much electrical work. Thank you.
Sponsored