Looking For Overland Rig Inspirations

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Hello. First of all this is my favorite place on the web! So much resource and thanks to everyone. I'm currently trying to make my new setup more of an overland rig vs. 48" tires/lifts and conquering rocks...don't get me wrong I could be there soon but for now I'm trying to find inspiration of members rigs that have more of an adventure/camping theme. I love the ability to go anywhere on the weekend and set up at a moments notice and return to work the next day More of a Swiss army knife thing if that makes sense. I enjoy ingenuity and that's why I chose Jeep, its an SUV at its core...really. If you can post some inspiration pics...that would be great.
Sponsored

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hello. First of all this is my favorite place on the web! So much resource and thanks to everyone. I'm currently trying to make my new setup more of an overland rig vs. 48" tires/lifts and conquering rocks...don't get me wrong I could be there soon but for now I'm trying to find inspiration of members rigs that have more of an adventure/camping theme. I love the ability to go anywhere on the weekend and set up at a moments notice and return to work the next day More of a Swiss army knife thing if that makes sense. I enjoy ingenuity and that's why I chose Jeep, its an SUV at its core...really. If you can post some inspiration pics...that would be great.
Totally agree with you and can't offer any help from an experience standpoint. I really hope to use mine for camping, exploring and photography. I've been able to do some already, then been on a hiatus as we have a newborn at home. The thought of spending a day in a line of jeeps sounds awful to me.

I'd like to get new bumpers with a light bar and a winch in case I get stuck somewhere and to have extra light. You already have sway bar disconnects on your Rubi so that's a plus. I know rooftop tents are popular and setting up a mini fridge.

There are some good overlanding websites that are easy to find. As with this site, it tends toward the extreme at times, like planning to live out of your rig. I know this isn't much help, but nice to see someone else who is somewhat like minded.

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Totally agree with you and can't offer any help from an experience standpoint. I really hope to use mine for camping, exploring and photography. I've been able to do some already, then been on a hiatus as we have a newborn at home. The thought of spending a day in a line of jeeps sounds awful to me.

I'd like to get new bumpers with a light bar and a winch in case I get stuck somewhere and to have extra light. You already have sway bar disconnects on your Rubi so that's a plus. I know rooftop tents are popular and setting up a mini fridge.

There are some good overlanding websites that are easy to find. As with this site, it tends toward the extreme at times, like planning to live out of your rig. I know this isn't much help, but nice to see someone else who is somewhat like minded.
Thanks! It's nice to know there are fellow adventurers out there. For me its more about just getting somewhere and having a vehicle to do it...plus I love the look of the jeeps, sure there are tons of them but they don't really change every year. I also really like the looks of overland/safari vehicles. I've already gone on a 3 night camping trip and slept inside...its awesome and quiet. A hardshell rooftop tent someday is on my list.

I've already started from the inside out and got some storage bags for the the roll cage and keep my camping gear in there so all I have to do is pack clothes, cooler and sleeping bag and I'm on my way. These are kind of pricey but they are awesome and very well built!...https://xgcargo.com/products/jl-gama-rear-storage-bags you literally don't know they are there since the rear seat headrests already block the window at that angle. I also found AEV...they make some nice looking stuff...the front bumper is awesome ($$$ though). It looks like its supposed to be on the front and has curves that match the design of the jeep.

OkieMizzou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal JLUR, 2001 Jeep TJ, 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L, 1991 Harley FXLR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Check my build page the latter part of June. I started the build in January but got busy and didn't get around to posting up pics as it progressed. I pick up my new overland trailer the first week of June and so I've decided to wait until then and I'll do a walk-around of my complete overland setup. Here's a teaser - this trailer was a loaner while mine is being built but I'll have the same model. Turtleback Getaway Trail.

IMG_3928.jpg

Sponsored

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Me too. I’m starting with a winch and roof rack. Retired and will be camping 4-5 weeks in CO and CA this summer. Don’t want a roof top tent and prefer not to pull a trailer. I think the JLU is already 90% ready out of the box. Creative packing will be key.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
After sleeping on the ground in the Marines more than I cared to this is my idea of camping lol

71A673CF-E2F9-47BD-B23B-E611DDB4599F.gif

On a serious note, I purposely didn’t get a hardtop because I knew it would open a different part of the check book.. No telling how much I would have spent on top of everything else LOL

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
After sleeping on the ground in the Marines more than I cared to this is my idea of camping lol

On a serious note, I purposely didn’t get a hardtop because I knew it would open a different part of the check book.. No telling how much I would have spent on top of everything else LOL
This also my ideal setup for camping........ LOL

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Me too. I’m starting with a winch and roof rack. Retired and will be camping 4-5 weeks in CO and CA this summer. Don’t want a roof top tent and prefer not to pull a trailer. I think the JLU is already 90% ready out of the box. Creative packing will be key.
The jeep is such a versatile vehicle. I bought it because it can go anywhere...sure others can but it remains relatively unchanged design wise. I like this.
I totally agree and I'm doing the "creative packing" now and its working. I'm a backpacker so I try to incorporate the concept...the logic I am currently thinking...why not make it a tad more comfortable since you have the ability to haul stuff. Why not make the jeep a rugged RV? A little more than what you need but not the marble tile and the mini pull behind?

Sponsored

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I'm going out three weeks at a time and loving it. I enjoy sleeping either on ground or ocassional tent so I keep everything in Jeep. So far all has worked perfect. Rock crawling, hill climbing, snow, sand, water, medium to rough 4x4 roads. This beast hasn't been stopped.

20180612_134642.jpg

20190428_073132.jpg

20181024_075008.jpg

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
I'm going out three weeks at a time and loving it. I enjoy sleeping either on ground or ocassional tent so I keep everything in Jeep. So far all has worked perfect. Rock crawling, hill climbing, snow, sand, water, medium to rough 4x4 roads. This beast hasn't been stopped.

20180612_134642.jpg

20190428_073132.jpg

20181024_075008.jpg
That's so cool! I like the rear seat delete. How much have you modified the exterior/suspension to get you there? I agree totally with the occasional tent...its just part of camping, you got to have it.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4

Thank you for your service!!!!!

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL