Scaffold for Hardtop storage and removal works great

shaneR

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL & an Audi TT
I like this approach but is there anyway to take the top off with just one person? I’ve been looking at the racor lift but I have 16 foot high ceilings. I might hand to buy scaffolding just to get the lift installed.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
I like this approach but is there anyway to take the top off with just one person? I’ve been looking at the racor lift but I have 16 foot high ceilings. I might hand to buy scaffolding just to get the lift installed.
I have lifted the top by myself, if you open the tailgate and lift window, you could power lift it right onto the scaffolding.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
ICYMI - https://www.topliftpros.com/

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to purchase this amazing idea as well. Then I realized the Gobi rack I had on order will not work with the scaffolding. Unless someone has feedback on it working.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I’m getting the scaffolding once I offload my Quadratec cart.

Sponsored

its_hoodie

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2019 JLU Sahara
20190514_135332.jpg
20190514_160719.jpg

Rolls right over the foosball table and to the driveway / other garage to take the top off. Easy to set up though not the BEST quality (as expected). Got it off amazon from links above.

Next steps..
1. Spray paint it yellow > black
2. Add some waterproofing coat to the board
3. Add black pool noodles to sides for cushion when top is on
4. Change to better wheels (if I find a cheap alternative)
5. Take the top off my jeep for the first time.....

Will share once I get it done!

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Great idea!

Married2MyJeep

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Outstanding, That looks like a great solution, I was just about to purchase one of those dedicated wooden carts when I saw this. My garage "floods" in the spring do to being low and ground saturation, only an inch or so but thats enought to make those wooden carts a problem. I've been thinking of ways to be able to elevate it without a ceiling winch as thats not an option for me either. This may just be the ticket. When you figure out the door hanger situation please post more pics, I'd love to be able to use this a my total sorage platform for the doors as well.
Not sure if any others have revisited the door thing, but I ended up purchasing the Franklin 6ft adjustable option from Harbor Freight WITH more than $50 off thanks to the Mother's Day Sale (and whoever it was that suggested that).

Anyway, I already had the Arc Off Road door hangers (which are intended to mount to wall studs and include a lip to hang the door by the window track), so I decided to go to work on incorporating them into the scaffold and it was rather easy to do. The adjustable side rails have a single hole that is there for added strength/rigidity (?) and I was able to mount the Arc brackets there, one on each corner. Bonus: I even recycled hardware removed from my JL when swapping bumpers and such!

Before doing that, I set the scaffold at close to the exact height needed to slide the hard top right off and marked the level on the scaffold rails with a sharpie for quick reference/reset should I need to use it for something else. Then I measured the doors and found they worked hanging at that height with about an inch to spare underneath. Granted, this may make some nervous, but I was able to freely move it around without the doors shifting, dragging etc. I was stoked to be able to set it and forget it, knowing it's always ready to go to take everything on/off.

See posted pics and note that the hard top itself isn't on the scaffold yet as its currently straddling my canoe (it's former home before the genius OP came on the scene) and I haven't yet gotten help from someone to put it on the Scaffold due to work.

One more thing: this was just a quick solution for the doors, but later I may drill new holes underneath the platform so I can tuck the doors in the inner space vice the outside area. Feel they'll be safer that way and further away from the wheels. Also you'll note that the top of the Arc mounts are sticking up past the platform, however this was necessary to get them high enough without having to adjust the scaffold. I measured left to right and even with the loss in space on along the edges due to this, I've still got at least an extra 6 inches of clearance/buffer for sliding the hard top on and off the platform. Definitely going to invest in some foam noodles as well! Cheers.

IMG_20190513_1844188.jpg

IMG_20190513_1840147.jpg

IMG_20190513_1841323.jpg

IMG_20190513_1841093.jpg

IMG_20190513_1840523.jpg

IMG_20190513_1840147.jpg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
That's an amazing purpose built idea. It looked cheap too but that was just a deposit. At 1k too much for me especially since the scaffolding idea works well enough and you can use it for other stuff too.
Sponsored