From Volkswagens to a Wrangler?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Thank you for this information! Yeah that does make a lot of sense and that was a good forum to read. I'm someone who takes a long time to make a final decision and not someone who swipes the card if they like it, so these forums really do help. I'm beginning to think that a custom order is what I'm going to do, as it is very time consuming finding a wrangler that has everything I want in it. I had to make a 24 hour decision to find a new car with the issues that happened unexpectedly with my last one and I wouldn't say i regret my current car, but feeling rushed led me a bit of buyers remorse.

With that being said, I'm in no rush to get a wrangler nor do I need to get one this second, so I have time on my side to decide. & yeah I agree those tires look cheap lol.

Is ordering something that you did?
Custom order and purchase is the way to go. I hate the idea of leasing a vehicle. Also, 8.4” infotainment package is a must have, as are the LED lights, in my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Custom order and purchase is the way to go. I hate the idea of leasing a vehicle. Also, 8.4” infotainment package is a must have, as are the LED lights, in my opinion.
I'm thinking about it :like:

This weekend I have a few more appointments at other dealerships.

There's a Black Sahara that's equipped with everything I want for "dealer price $43,995" Original MSRP is $46998.

I'm hovering over forums that involve what expectations should be for deals regarding 2018 models.

I'd love to walk out the door at $39k. Seems insane, but it seems possible!

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever you do, don’t get the base model 5” radio.

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
Hey all,

This is my first post into the wranglers forums, so be easy on the new guy.

I tripped over from vwvortex forums and landed here, after a few years of wanting a Wrangler, I'm curious to seek some opinions from people who are hardcore wrangler enthusiasts, new Jeep comers, and people like me who are considering leaving the VW/Audi 'the dark side' realm and get myself into a wrangler.

If you're asking why I want to leave VW, well:
1. After they've all I have been driving, I feel a product maturity in them & they now all feel the same.
2. I want to jump into something new, different from all I've been driving.

I'll start off by why I have considered a wrangler: and let me first say this, I have test driven a 2018 JLU Sport S. It had a soft top, 4cyl turbo, auto, and I didn't mind the transmission, the cabin noise wasn't as bad as i feel a lot of people were warning me about & I didn't think as a stock jeep the ride was rough, again, coming from lowered VW's, it rode much nicer, but I didn't want the test drive to end. it felt just right.
so....

1. No, im not going to be doing anything too crazy with mods or off-roading. I will be taking the jeep into the woods; hunting, fishing, road trips, camping, up to the mountains to snowboard, etc, places where my Jetta currenty limits me from going now.
2. I want something new feeling, very american, macho, tough, and can get me anywhere I need it to. (that sounds cliche, but lets be honest, we all can agree on this...right?
3. I want to be able to take the roof and doors off and enjoy a different feel of "fun" from a vehicle, other than turbo's and tunes.
4. Financially, they hold value, great value.
5. I don't mind the MPG & after reading some forums, averaging 18-22mpg isn't too far off from what I get now.
6. NY Winters are brutal, i'd take advantage of the amenities the JL has (cold weather package).
7. I don't want any other jeep product other than a wrangler, no GC, no Compass, nada..
8. I dont want FWD.

Those are just some simplified reasons why I think the vehicle is a good fir for me. For the opinions and advice from the experts, what are other things I need to consider? Just because the car "feels right" doesn't mean it is right. What are your questions for yourself before investing in a new car? I'm not talking about "can I afford this" this isn't meant to be a financial form, just opinions.

My ideal is JLU Sport S auto with some packages OR Sahara.

What should I know that a test drive can't really teach me?

Are they "that good" in the snow, tires/4x4? Is an older JK better for me? I know these are questions that branch off to more questions, but any and all advice helps.

Let me know! & I'll be sure to clarify if I wasn't too clear on anything
Hi - I received the buyback on a Golf Sportwagen TDI and got my JLU Sahara. Have also owned MANY VW's over the years.
Almost 40,000kms on it and loving it every single day, even more so now with the soft top on. I was very apprehensive at first, especially due to the fact that I drive quite a bit as I mentioned it has been great!! I have the auto w/ V6. Don't know if the fuel savings justify getting any other engine.
We have crazy winters up north and I was very happy with how the Jeep handled it.

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I've driven small cars for many years. I had a couple of WRX hatchbacks, a Mini convertible, a Jetta and most recently a 2007 A4 convertible that I've driven for years. i bought my 2019 JLU S in November and have to say I've enjoyed driving it. Now, I went with the manual trans and the 6-cyl and I don't really have any complaints. The A4 had the S-line package, so not the S4, but it had the 18" wheels and sportier suspension which got pretty rough on the crappy NJ roads. I enjoy it and would do it again. I just kind of wish I bought the soft top rather than the hard top.

Sponsored

Pandy316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F250, 2016 Mustang GT
Get a soft top, you will never take the hard top off and you need a place to store it, manual transmission, because you don’t want a girls Jeep, 8.4” infotainment center, and LED lights are the bomb. Order it and get what you want, don’t settle for something on a lot. Mine cane in 17 days after ordering it. I traded in a 2017 BMW X5 on it and couldn’t be happier. Good luck!

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I’ve been replying to your threads on Vortex before I even saw this one. Buy the Jeep, don’t look back. So glad I took the chance on one in 2013 and dumped my Audi.

notallan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 VW Rabbit; 2019 Moab
Went from a 2009 VW Rabbit, manual, that I bought new back then and bought a 2019 Moab. Wanted the Sahara in the manual, but couldn’t get it with Selec-Trac (despite Jeep. Com configurator letting you “build” one). If I couldn’t get a manual selec-Trac, The Moab had the hood and the selec-trac. I live in Northern Illinois, so I wanted something that looked awesome and performed well in the snow.

In any case, I kept the Rabbit and drive it as my beater. The Jeep is way fun.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Our new Sahara is a replacement for my 2017 GTI Sport. The GTI is so perfect, its boring.
It's funny how objectively good cars are so subjectively bad, and vice-versa. When I think back on my best car memories, all involved hugely flawed vehicles.

Luckily, my GTI is a rattle trap, so that helps. But I still want a Wrangler.

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
It's funny how objectively good cars are so subjectively bad, and vice-versa. When I think back on my best car memories, all involved hugely flawed vehicles.

Luckily, my GTI is a rattle trap, so that helps. But I still want a Wrangler.
Oh yeah, the many many rattles. I think VW pumps those in through the soundkerator to give you an authentic VW experience.

Sandow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red 2 DR Rubicon
With products like the TopLift Pro you can take the hard top off in the same, or less amount of time than you can the soft top. Not sure why people say if you get a hard top you’ll never take it off.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Yep with the ceiling lift in my garage it's a 10 minute process start to finish and take it off any chance I can.

With products like the TopLift Pro you can take the hard top off in the same, or less amount of time than you can the soft top. Not sure why people say if you get a hard top you’ll never take it off.
Sponsored