From Volkswagens to a Wrangler?

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I have the 2.0 Rubi 2 door. Mine is a daily driver. It goes off pavement every day. I am a schmuck I have the hard top that probably won't ever come off. I also live in a place where mother nature tries to kill us every spring and our hail can get bigger than baseballs. Get the cold weather package!! Heated seats and steering wheel are worth there weight in gold when it's minus degrees out. Welcome to the family.
I agree about the cold weather package. After having it on my last 3 vehicles in the past 7-8 years, it is NOT an option for me, but a necessity! LOL!!!
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So, here's the update:

Lastly, any last advice when going into the dealership? Things to keep my eye out on in/around wranglers? things to ask like frame welding? recalls? I'll be diving into the dealership pricing thread to see what a good deal is considered and what i feel the good deal is to me!
The Wranglers often have over-inflated tires that can greatly impact the driving feel. If you drive one that feels flighty, check the tire pressure. Mine was delivered with 41 PSI, which is too high (have it at 35 and might drop it more).

Good luck with the test drives!

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I also was told by Begnal Motors than Sahara's do not lease as good as Sport S & Rubi's. I was also informed that the LED Package CAN be added to a Sport S model. my question (to any one who wants to hijack this as well) what can we think the opportunity cost is to have a loaded sport s to my tasting vs rubicon may be?

For instance if the Sport S with all packages I like come to say (imaginary number) $40k..
Then, The rubicon as it sits is $44k (imaginary number) has anyone been in a situation where you said, "ahh whats another 4k" vs "im saving 4k for the same added features"
MSRP on the Sahara would have been $50,500 the way I would have ordered it. MSRP on the Rubicon was $53,100 the way I ordered it. The difference was $2,600 (actually $2,340 after applying the same 10.5% discount to each), which was a no-brainer for me. The only thing I lost was Selec-Trac, which would have been cool, but I gained a lot more with the Rubicon. I think a lot of people ended up with a Rubicon using the same logic.

Sherifftruman

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUS
I'll completely disagree with Sorbs' #2 point as he's 100% wrong on the hardtop. Get the soft top if you want to really unleash the Jeep's potential and drive it like a boss. It's a known fact that 99.9% of Wrangler owners with a hardtop just leave it on forever like a bunch of lame schmucks. You're essentially just driving a rough-around-the-edges Grand Cherokee at that point.
But yeah, the versatility of the Jeep makes it awesome. It feels like a different vehicle from season to season as you configure your top, doors, and window combos to suit your fancy. Every other vehicle feels like it did they day you bought it, but just gets older. The Jeep always feels like something completely different depending on your mood.
We have had 4 wranglers, all my wife’s daily driver. The first two, a 2002 and a 2005 LJ we had dual tops and we changed the tops every spring and late fall. She would even wear a coat to drive to work to get a few more weeks out of the top being down and always begged me to switch them for her the first warm day we had in late February. Then we got a 2012 JKU. Also got dual tops, but she never ended up wanting anything other than the panels being out. We took the hard top off a few times when the weather would be nice for a few days, but that was it and we never installed the soft top. So, when we just bought a JLU, we got the Sky One Touch roof.

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
88360CF3-6F57-4A49-8456-76FFD0CA4862.png
D65BE8DD-E5A7-4B0F-ABF7-E3B8A1B3164A.png
1F39E82F-CB2C-4FD9-841D-1D5D5E5DA5B9.png
6E4D3794-EA30-42D6-9120-FBCBB5579351.png
D6E06CD7-7C98-49A6-B085-05F2D96C9FA8.png
Hey everyone, so here’s the update,

I went to another dealer today to get a price.

I need some thoughts and opinions, mostly because I’m not sure if it’s a good deal. The only thing this wrangler doesn’t have is a bigger radio and hard top, that’s really all.

I feel like it’s a good deal.

Anyway!

Here’s my my current offer received:
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU (LEASE)
Price: $36,487 (was $39,825)
Automatic 6 cylinder
Sting grey
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Group
Keyless Entry
Soft top
39 months, 12k miles a year $2,500 down.
Quote: $364.00 to $394.00 depending on my trade and before taxes and registration NYS which maybe I’ll include in my DP....
Either way that’s what this Saturday is for to get the raw numbers, this is an over the phone quote.

My take, I like it. I think it’s good, but is it great? Comfortable to pay it, but I would like to hear if your opinions.

I’ll end this as
1. Sorry I don’t know the money factor and residuals as of today. I’m rated 700+ credit.

Thoughts?

Also, sorry for posting this not in the financial forums. I wasn’t getting any traction and you’ve all been very vocal for me thankfully. Please weigh your opinions!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Sponsored

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Sorry, meant to say this WASNT an over the phone quote, meaning I sat down and talked to the salesman

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Doesn’t seem horrible to me. I have leased a lot of vehicles and would not walk away from the #s you posted. Love the color (matches mine), that trim and options compared to the lease i am in does not seem like a bad payment to MSRP ratio. The soft top part - easy one, if you plan on rolling the WHOLE thing back OFTEN then the soft top is the way, if you do not plan on having the whole thing rolled back/open that often I would suggest getting the hard top. Being able to take off the front two panels in < 5 minutes is awesome and > any sunroof. But taking the back off on a hardtop requires some logistics and > 5 minutes. My 2.5 go back to the same dealer test a hard top model take the two front pieces out drive it around and see if that is enough for you - that is easy and quick is a little less noisy, cold, hot, etc vs. the soft top. If the two front panels off is not enough go with the soft top. What else... the 8” screen is nice, but i would not HATE the vehicle if it was 1” smaller. I have the 8” but I would not consider 1” being a deal breaker. Overall minus the do i want a soft or hard top for real based on a few more test drives i do not think you are in a bad spot.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
88360CF3-6F57-4A49-8456-76FFD0CA4862.png
D65BE8DD-E5A7-4B0F-ABF7-E3B8A1B3164A.png
1F39E82F-CB2C-4FD9-841D-1D5D5E5DA5B9.png
6E4D3794-EA30-42D6-9120-FBCBB5579351.png
D6E06CD7-7C98-49A6-B085-05F2D96C9FA8.png
Hey everyone, so here’s the update,

I went to another dealer today to get a price.

I need some thoughts and opinions, mostly because I’m not sure if it’s a good deal. The only thing this wrangler doesn’t have is a bigger radio and hard top, that’s really all.

I feel like it’s a good deal.

Anyway!

Here’s my my current offer received:
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU (LEASE)
Price: $36,487 (was $39,825)
Automatic 6 cylinder
Sting grey
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Group
Keyless Entry
Soft top
39 months, 12k miles a year $2,500 down.
Quote: $364.00 to $394.00 depending on my trade and before taxes and registration NYS which maybe I’ll include in my DP....
Either way that’s what this Saturday is for to get the raw numbers, this is an over the phone quote.

My take, I like it. I think it’s good, but is it great? Comfortable to pay it, but I would like to hear if your opinions.

I’ll end this as
1. Sorry I don’t know the money factor and residuals as of today. I’m rated 700+ credit.

Thoughts?

Also, sorry for posting this not in the financial forums. I wasn’t getting any traction and you’ve all been very vocal for me thankfully. Please weigh your opinions!

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
The HT tires indicate the lack of a limited slip differential and thus a Dana 30 rear axle. If you're going to drive it as is and not do any heavy off roading it will do fine for ya.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I signed up for a 2019 Sahara automatic with selec trac recently for a 39 month lease for $500/m with 0 down up front. But this is Canada so prices may be different. I know up here leasing works out better with 2019s due to big incentives and low rates. Have you tried working 2019 numbers? Maybe the same case in the States?

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The HT tires indicate the lack of a limited slip differential and thus a Dana 30 rear axle. If you're going to drive it as is and not do any heavy off roading it will do fine for ya.
Agreed. The limited slip rear axle is a $600 that is well worth it in my opinion. And you get tires that at least don't look like they'd come on a Rav4.
I'm not sure about the leasing numbers, since it's out of my wheelhouse. But if you're considering leasing for lower monthly payments, you might consider a Pen Fed loan. I’d never heard of it until stumbling across this thread. Seems like a pretty cool option vs leasing, especially if you could potentially modify it (as I said before, I’m still guaranteeing you’ll do).
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ood-for-jl-for-those-who-usually-lease.21414/
I considered and re-considered configurations for months prior to purchasing. I think a lot of people do the same before coming to a decision they don’t regret. I’d definitely encourage you to invest more time into making an informed decision. Understand every trim and every option and make an evaluation.
I wouldn’t assume because it’s a leftover it’s the best deal you can get. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but the potential lower sale price should be offset by the lower residual price (being a model year older). You’d be surprised how good of a deal you can get on a custom order vs. buying off the rack. And you get a window sticker with your name on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Thank you!

No, no "heavy" off-roading. I will be taking it in the woods, but nothing I don't think a stock jeep couldn't handle.

This is good information though, I think the next in line is the Dana M200?

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
I signed up for a 2019 Sahara automatic with selec trac recently for a 39 month lease for $500/m with 0 down up front. But this is Canada so prices may be different. I know up here leasing works out better with 2019s due to big incentives and low rates. Have you tried working 2019 numbers? Maybe the same case in the States?
That does sound good. I did "try" the numbers on a 2019, but not aggressively to get an accurate number. What I like in the 2018 for leasing is that the dealers need them gone to make room for the 2020's & with memorial day weekend coming up there is usually sales for that too.

Some dealers say 2019's lease better and others have said they'll chip at the numbers to get it gone

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Agreed. The limited slip rear axle is a $600 that is well worth it in my opinion. And you get tires that at least don't look like they'd come on a Rav4.
I'm not sure about the leasing numbers, since it's out of my wheelhouse. But if you're considering leasing for lower monthly payments, you might consider a Pen Fed loan. I’d never heard of it until stumbling across this thread. Seems like a pretty cool option vs leasing, especially if you could potentially modify it (as I said before, I’m still guaranteeing you’ll do).
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ood-for-jl-for-those-who-usually-lease.21414/
I considered and re-considered configurations for months prior to purchasing. I think a lot of people do the same before coming to a decision they don’t regret. I’d definitely encourage you to invest more time into making an informed decision. Understand every trim and every option and make an evaluation.
I wouldn’t assume because it’s a leftover it’s the best deal you can get. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but the potential lower sale price should be offset by the lower residual price (being a model year older). You’d be surprised how good of a deal you can get on a custom order vs. buying off the rack. And you get a window sticker with your name on it.
Thank you for this information! Yeah that does make a lot of sense and that was a good forum to read. I'm someone who takes a long time to make a final decision and not someone who swipes the card if they like it, so these forums really do help. I'm beginning to think that a custom order is what I'm going to do, as it is very time consuming finding a wrangler that has everything I want in it. I had to make a 24 hour decision to find a new car with the issues that happened unexpectedly with my last one and I wouldn't say i regret my current car, but feeling rushed led me a bit of buyers remorse.

With that being said, I'm in no rush to get a wrangler nor do I need to get one this second, so I have time on my side to decide. & yeah I agree those tires look cheap lol.

Is ordering something that you did?

OP
OP

Leitwolf25

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLI
Doesn’t seem horrible to me. I have leased a lot of vehicles and would not walk away from the #s you posted. Love the color (matches mine), that trim and options compared to the lease i am in does not seem like a bad payment to MSRP ratio. The soft top part - easy one, if you plan on rolling the WHOLE thing back OFTEN then the soft top is the way, if you do not plan on having the whole thing rolled back/open that often I would suggest getting the hard top. Being able to take off the front two panels in < 5 minutes is awesome and > any sunroof. But taking the back off on a hardtop requires some logistics and > 5 minutes. My 2.5 go back to the same dealer test a hard top model take the two front pieces out drive it around and see if that is enough for you - that is easy and quick is a little less noisy, cold, hot, etc vs. the soft top. If the two front panels off is not enough go with the soft top. What else... the 8” screen is nice, but i would not HATE the vehicle if it was 1” smaller. I have the 8” but I would not consider 1” being a deal breaker. Overall minus the do i want a soft or hard top for real based on a few more test drives i do not think you are in a bad spot.
Thanks!

I have a few other ones to look at and then get some pricing numbers on before making the decision of ordering one or at the dealer.
The 8inch radio isnt a deal breaker, but that 5inch radio is the one this wrangler has and that's something I think would stop me since my Jetta radio is much bigger. I test drove a soft and hardtop and I think the hard top if the one ill go with, mainly because where I park at work isn't the nicest of areas. But I think i'm pulled into the Sahara, LED Package and the 4x4 set and forget option is really appealing.

Maybe my stance is if I can get those numbers with a little more features, It would be even harder to walk away. To lease a car and not be 100% happy is the scary part haha.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!

No, no "heavy" off-roading. I will be taking it in the woods, but nothing I don't think a stock jeep couldn't handle.

This is good information though, I think the next in line is the Dana M200?
Oh yeah the Jeep should be more than able to do that.
Sponsored