This is what a 60 MPH crash into a parked car looks like in a Jeep JL

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I will respectfully disagree. If an accident like this happened 20-40 years ago, my guess (just a quess) is it could very well be fatal. The driver was hurt, but managed to walk away and sounds like will make a full recovery. I'm not sure how this is a failure on Jeep? The driver lived without very serious complications. This is a win as far as I'm concerned.

Holy Crap!@ That picture isnt me!! This is ANOTHER Co-Worker playing a joke on me... if any of you remember the "I want to lower my Jeep" thread that I created (not me).
I think what doesn't look right is the relatively low amount of damage to the Jeep outside for hitting something at 60 mph. Like mentioned the theory is that had the front of the Jeep crumpled completely it would have absorbed more energy and thus less energy would have been transferred inside to OP's wife.

OP it's been close to a month. Hope your wife is recovering well!
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I think what doesn't look right is the relatively low amount of damage to the Jeep outside for hitting something at 60 mph. Like mentioned the theory is that had the front of the Jeep crumpled completely it would have absorbed more energy and thus less energy would have been transferred inside to OP's wife.

OP it's been close to a month. Hope your wife is recovering well!
I think this is a spot-on. The standard we should hold Jeep to is not what vehicles would've done 20-40 years ago, but what other vehicles do today. We have far greater technology and engineering abilities than we did even 10 years ago, and automotive manufacturers should be using this to prevent injuries. Of course we are all so thankful that OP's wife wasn't hurt more severely. But in a vehicle that has better crumple zones, she might not have suffered the injuries she did.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I understand crumble zones and all, but where is that 3.6L engine supposed to go during the crumple besides right into the passenger compartment?

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Wow, must have been a traumatic for her, the fear will probably last longer than the other injuries.
Cracked sternum from the seat belt/airbag and bruising is actually very common with ANY front impact airbag deployment, even with the "smart" airbags. Glad is wasn't worse, hope all involved heal up quickly.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
With all fairness, it did hit a Chevy Equinox.

Glad to hear that there was no serious injuries. This is a testament of the safety of the vehicles now a day. I don't think my Geo Metro or I would have survived that back in the day.

RubiconSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hardrock 2016 Sport 2018 JLU Rubicon
Not sure what some of you guys are looking at.... the Jeep did very well. 60mph crash with what appears to be very little braking from how the story was told.
Anyway.... Very glad your Wife was ok. Fractured sternum nothing to sneeze at.... I'm in the Poconos as well. I didn't hear about the accident.

Again, glad she is ok. Jeeps can be easily replaced.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@jamielong

First let me say that I'm so sorry to hear of this. The injuries to your wife, physical and mental, the loss of the JL, the damage to the Equinox, its passengers and whatever insurance and legal claims await you--are all things I have sympathy for and wish you the best on.

Second, let me say how impressed I am on how well I think the compartment space of the JL held up, especially for a vehicle that doesn't get the best writeups on collision safety. Human life is precious; vehicles can be replaced.

Third, let me guess that there's somewhat more to this story--not that anyone has suggested otherwise or that anyone is blind to this--than what a JL might look like hitting a concrete wall (a.k.a. a non moveable object) at this speed: which I course it didn't. I'm going to assume the Equinox's rear shared the dissipation of the energy of that impact, and maybe travelled forward somewhat further offloading some of that impact's energy, etc.

I pray for a speedy recovery for your wife and anyone else injured. Please tell your wife that this is just one of those crazy accidents where she was sandwiched between an out of control motorist, whose status it was only natural she be concerned with, and that driver's spouse in front. She shouldn't blame herself.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
OP hasn't been on since Apr 13. I hope all is well but the absence doesn't bode well.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I understand crumble zones and all, but where is that 3.6L engine supposed to go during the crumple besides right into the passenger compartment?
Down. The engine is supposed to be designed to fall.

I agree with others. This is not good for Jeep. It didn’t crumple sending the force into the drivers sternum. She survived thankfully and I’m sure she wasn’t going 60 at the time of impact but this seems to be in line with the European crash tests that the car isn’t crumpling to mitigate force being transferred into the occupants.

Bad.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Crumple zones are for body shops!

Kinda joking??? Hope actually all is well with your wife!

Oh ya forgot the JL's crumple zone was the Equinox!!! Not sorta joking!

Go Jeep!!!

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
What’s really interesting here is the trauma was in her chest. Exactly where the European crash tests showed the most force and is consistent with not crumpling to absorb impact.

Was hoping the european results were a fluke. Doesn’t appear so.

OP
OP
jamielong

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
I haven't been on in a bit as I've Been working my tail off . First let me thank everyone for the kind words , and yes she is recovering well . As far as the Jeep its been totaled and went to copart for auction . Good luck to whomever wins this auction .
I has decided to replace it with a white overland Gladiator and should have it in 4-6 weeks .

OP
OP
jamielong

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
What’s really interesting here is the trauma was in her chest. Exactly where the European crash tests showed the most force and is consistent with not crumpling to absorb impact.

Was hoping the european results were a fluke. Doesn’t appear so.

She was sitting to close and th tilt was up on the steering column , The airbag hit her in the face and she hit the wheel .
Sponsored