This is what a 60 MPH crash into a parked car looks like in a Jeep JL

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
The bumpers hold up well. This was 60 mph into a parked Chevy Equinox on the highway . $ 26,720 in damage before tearing it down ...

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6687.jpg

IMG_6704.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
jamielong

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
@jamielong Wait! How was that possible? You going 60mph and the Equinox was parked?

My wife was on her way to school last week , Merging from one major highway to the next via exit ramp . There were 2 cars ahead of her , The one directly in front of her started swerving all over the place and went off the roadway and bumped the guardrail , She looked over her shoulder to see what he was doing when the first car stopped completely . The first car was the wife of the guy who went off the road .....

In the blink of an eye my wife looked forward and it was too late ...

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I don't get why everyone is celebrating this as a win. Sure, the Jeep received relatively minor damage based on the severity of the crash. But clearly his wife had some fairly significant injuries. This is not ideal. Vehicles are designed with crumple zones purely for the opposite reason - the vehicle should absorb as much of the impact as possible to protect the people.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep. But I look at these pictures and see validation that the poor crash test ratings are accurate.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yikes. It's a little concerning to me that the Jeep didn't crumple more and absorb more of the energy of the crash to protect the occupant. I mean, it's totaled so "holding up well" doesn't seem accurate or relevant. If I crash at 60 mph I will be glad if I can walk away and won't think twice about what happens to the vehicle. I'm glad she only has a cracked sternum!

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't get why everyone is celebrating this as a win. Sure, the Jeep received relatively minor damage based on the severity of the crash. But clearly his wife had some fairly significant injuries. This is not idea. Vehicles are designed with crumple zones purely for the opposite reason - the vehicle should absorb as much of the impact as possible to protect the people.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep. But I look at these pictures and see validation that the poor crash test ratings are accurate.
Haha, we were typing the same idea at the same time! I agree totally.

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
I don't get why everyone is celebrating this as a win. Sure, the Jeep received relatively minor damage based on the severity of the crash. But clearly his wife had some fairly significant injuries. This is not ideal. Vehicles are designed with crumple zones purely for the opposite reason - the vehicle should absorb as much of the impact as possible to protect the people.

I agree with you.

However, realistically, two things probably are different than we are assuming.

The Jeep slowed down, even if every so slightly, and more importantly, the car which was hit was thrown forward by a decent amount.

So the totally energy transferred in the crash is distributed among all of those things, and thus whatever portion was left for the Jeep is what we’re seeing.

Hopefully the occupants of the car which got hit are ok as well as the driver in the Jeep.

If this was a 60mph into a stationary wall type of accident, I’d hate to say it, but it would be much much worse for the driver, let alone for the Jeep. I say this because people sometimes assume hitting a stationary object implies (incorrectly) it doesn’t move.

Also the Equinox is a lighter vehicle than the JL by about 1,000 lbs.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it is a Sahara, had it been a Rubicon everyone will walk.

Disclaimer: totally sarcastic, prayer goes to your wife and whoever involved.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer

I will respectfully disagree. If an accident like this happened 20-40 years ago, my guess (just a quess) is it could very well be fatal. The driver was hurt, but managed to walk away and sounds like will make a full recovery. I'm not sure how this is a failure on Jeep? The driver lived without very serious complications. This is a win as far as I'm concerned.

Holy Crap!@ That picture isnt me!! This is ANOTHER Co-Worker playing a joke on me... if any of you remember the "I want to lower my Jeep" thread that I created (not me).
Sponsored