Sponsored

Selec-Trac full time 4x4 4WD system discussions

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Thank you.

I have now found a dealership with several selec-trac units in inventory. So, they are “out there if you look”.

Much more research needed on my part before deciding. I am unlikely to ever be a dedicated off-road enthusiast. Mostly a city boy who likes to get away every now and then.

Thanks for the input!

Here is another thread on the topic. It might help you with the pros and cons of cv vs u joints.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sahara-selec-trac-has-cv-boots.2541/
Sponsored

NFaridi

First Name
Naj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
So i'm not as technical as most of you guys here, but here are what I want to know about the new Selec-Trac full-time 4WD system..

- is it basically AWD in how it behaves?

- Can i still "offroad" without the worry of anything in the driveline being over-stressed or failing (my off-roading consists of driving in deep sand at the beach and light trails on 35" tires - hoping to expand that by going to more off-road parks in the future.)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So i'm not as technical as most of you guys here, but here are what I want to know about the new Selec-Trac full-time 4WD system..

- is it basically AWD in how it behaves?

- Can i still "offroad" without the worry of anything in the driveline being over-stressed or failing (my off-roading consists of driving in deep sand at the beach and light trails on 35" tires - hoping to expand that by going to more off-road parks in the future.)
It isn't an All Wheel drive system like you would find on a Subaru. It is 2wd until it detects rear wheel slip, and will then send power to the front wheels automatically if you are in 4HI Auto. If you take it off road you should move it from 4HI Auto to 4HI to avoid the constant switching from 2 to 4 wheel drive all the time.

NFaridi

First Name
Naj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
It isn't an All Wheel drive system like you would find on a Subaru. It is 2wd until it detects rear wheel slip, and will then send power to the front wheels automatically if you are in 4HI Auto. If you take it off road you should move it from 4HI Auto to 4HI to avoid the constant switching from 2 to 4 wheel drive all the time.

So for off-roading, i would just move it to 4HI-Part Time so it behaves like 4HI on any other trim.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So for off-roading, i would just move it to 4HI-Part Time so it behaves like 4HI on any other trim.
Exactly, this way it won't wear out the transfer case with the constant switching.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think the Selec-Trac transfer case has a differential inside of it, and that's what allows slippage between the front and rear axles. At least, that's how it used to work. There is no PTO in the front axle like in some AWD vehicles whereby sensors detect slippage and transfer torque.

rhodeking

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab JL
Nah, the reason the Rubi gets the RockTrac is because it's still a 4:1 ratio, Command Trac and Select-Trac are both 2.7:1 ratio with no other option currently. So it does make sense to Have full blown RT on Rubicon

Hopefully Select-Trac is offered on other 'special editions', because I want a more stout 'Sahara' if that's all it's limited to, something like the BackCountry or Chief, where you get nearer a Rubi without the 4:1 and without the Swaybar disco, though I'd love both too, but will sacrifice for Select-Trac for better manners in Winter.
*cough* MOAB *cough*

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think the Selec-Trac transfer case has a differential inside of it, and that's what allows slippage between the front and rear axles. At least, that's how it used to work. There is no PTO in the front axle like in some AWD vehicles whereby sensors detect slippage and transfer torque.
The current Selec-Trac transfer case (MP3022) has no center differential, instead it uses clutch packs.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mattebury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I know that the regular part-time 4WD drive can be flat-towed behind an RV, does anybody know if the 4:1 Rock-Trac full-time 4WD can be flat-towed?

We are getting ready to order a Rubicon and if it can be flat towed, we will add that option.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know that the regular part-time 4WD drive can be flat-towed behind an RV, does anybody know if the 4:1 Rock-Trac full-time 4WD can be flat-towed?

We are getting ready to order a Rubicon and if it can be flat towed, we will add that option.
Yes the "full time" transfer cases still have Neutral.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is a wonderful series of posts.
I'm interested in learning more.

I believe Select Trac is essential in our next Jeep.

Unless it's a Rubicon, and then it will be Rock-Trac.

Are there reliability issues with either transfer case?

DaveL
Sponsored