Sponsored

Advantage to buying at local dealership?

adamk8180

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a jeep... yet!
I'm in the process of purchasing my first Jeep, and it's actually my first new car. I guess my question is straight forward: is there any advantage to buying at my local dealership (where I'll likely have it serviced)? About an hour away, I can get a significantly better deal. But there's no way I'll be making that drive for all the regular service.
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I'm in the process of purchasing my first Jeep, and it's actually my first new car. I guess my question is straight forward: is there any advantage to buying at my local dealership (where I'll likely have it serviced)? About an hour away, I can get a significantly better deal. But there's no way I'll be making that drive for all the regular service.
Go for the better deal. Plenty of us here didn't buy from a "local" dealer. There's a dealer 5 minutes from my house, but I bought from a dealer 45 minutes away.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Last year in feb, my local dealer lake elsinore jeep wanted to charge me a $3000 mark up fee to order a JL, the other neighboring jeep dealers riverside wouldnt budge going under MSRP, temecula and Huntington beach wouldnt go below %1 under invoice.

I ended up buying out of state at Jim marsh in Las vegas and couldnt be happier with my deal, no BS, good communication and saved thousands.

I'd say go were you can get the best deal

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
All they care about is making a sale, beyond that don't expect anything. Go for the better deal.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
My last new Jeep, a 2012 model, I bought it in Kansas even though I live in Texas 500+ miles away. I bought a one way flight, the dealership picked me up, I signed my paperwork and drove it home. I still saved $$$. Like others stated, go for the best deal if you can.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Check out the local place’s service department and their policies. My local place does lifetime maintenance and state inspections for free on vehicles purchased there, which is a big savings over the life of the Jeep. However, their staff suuuuuucks and it really isn’t worth it in hindsight. I recommend reading their websites and reviews on them from multiple sources.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you buy local a good dealer *could maybe* be more willing to push warranty stuff through for you if it's an arguable gray area.

I actually wanted to buy from my local dealer for this reason (and I actually liked the salesman) but they just didn't have what I needed. Also by purchasing out of my county I actually saved almost a grand in sales tax -- but that's VERY state-specific and those loopholes are being closed up everywhere.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
One advantage of buying local....it's local

Go for the better deal. The service department will not care where you purchased it from...they'll still charge to service it. :)

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Viper, 15' Hellcat Challenger, 18' SRT Durango, 13' SRT Charger
One advantage of buying local....it's local

Go for the better deal. The service department will not care where you purchased it from...they'll still charge to service it. :)
This isn't true 100% and sometimes needs to be stressed. Service Departments and Sales do work together and if they see you didn't buy it from them they MAY

- Bump your service appointment further away
- Not go as far warranty work approvals
- No Loaners

In no way am I justifying NOT buying local, but there are things to keep in mind. My two local dealers for example will backlog all cars not purchased from them, and if you have a body warranty claim or anything warranty related that the pay out isn't worth it for the stress they will tell you to bring it back where you got it from. My dealer an hour from me doesn't care, but I purchase from them since they give me 3-4% below invoice on all FCA product to compete with me going elsewhere to buy.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
This isn't true 100% and sometimes needs to be stressed. Service Departments and Sales do work together and if they see you didn't buy it from them they MAY
Complete bulls@&%. Feel free to share how the sales and service departments take long walks on the beach together.

Sponsored

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
My opinion, local if possible. The techs at my local shop all drive what they sell and walk me through everything. One of them is now fishing with me, not kidding. The manager joined me to the local jeep club, showed me the local trails (I actually didn't know one of the best trails was here, were I live). I spent about 10 hours discussing my lift and tires, they did for free.

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I could be wrong, but I was told lemon law doesn't apply for out of state purchase.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I service my Jeep at a different dealership I bought it from because it was closer, and never had any issues, I actually have much better relations with the service rep because of this, he knows me by my voice and I buy him a beer after a day’s work. Where I purchased my Jeep was never brought up in the equation.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP,

Think about it this way......

Let’s say that you buy a vehicle from any place you are living.... then you transfer 1500 miles with your company. The new dealership doesn’t care and will provide your vehicle with the same service it provides all other Jeeps that folks bring to it.

Buy the best deal. Service where you wish. Two different business transactions

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
OP,

Think about it this way......

Let’s say that you buy a vehicle from any place you are living.... then you transfer 1500 miles with your company. The new dealership doesn’t care and will provide your vehicle with the same service it provides all other Jeeps that folks bring to it.

Buy the best deal. Service where you wish. Two different business transactions
Dealerships actually make more money on parts and services than vehicle sale over the years that it makes no sense they would refuse a potential money tree.
Sponsored