Sponsored

Bought JLUS 2 months ago, now want a Rubicon instead....

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So the wife and I bought a Sport 2 months ago, and now we definitely want a Rubicon instead. I know we’re screwed trading in our recent purchase, but would it be best to do it now or wait a year? I say a year because that’s the longest we’re willing to wait. Who’s done this and how did it go?
I can empathize with you and @Arterius2 as I was in the same spot 6 months ago. I went offroad a few times in my sport and was hooked. I have some mechanical friends and enjoy learning using YouTube, so I opted to hunt takeoff parts and build the sport. Here's some info that could help:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/billet-stallion-sport-s-full-d44-swap.19973/
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So the wife and I bought a Sport 2 months ago, and now we definitely want a Rubicon instead. I know we’re screwed trading in our recent purchase, but would it be best to do it now or wait a year? I say a year because that’s the longest we’re willing to wait. Who’s done this and how did it go?
Same boat on a Sahara. Took us a few months after wheeling it hard to realize the Rubi would be the better choice. I refuse to go upside down on it so we said it is what it is and when we have the $ we will throw chromemoly shafts in the rear and graduate from 33s up to 35s. One day a locker as well but for now it is great off road and does very well with open diffs. Hitting Sedona, Moab and Telluride in July.

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There’s only two trim levels: Rubicon and Regret.

There’s only two packages: Fully-Loaded and Regret

I opted for Regret and can confirm, I Regret it everyday.

Can’t trade it in. Already did it once going from a 2D for a 4D. Took a $2000 bath on the trade if it helps.

The amount of money I spent on the sport easily exceeds a Rubicon fully-loaded.

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
I agree with some of the other folks on this thread. I have a Rubicon but removed bumpers, fenders, tires/wheels, gears, etc as soon I purchased it. You could pick up the Dana 44 axles and a number of other items dirt cheap from the people who swapped Dana 60s for the 44s. Standby, because I will be doing that by the end of the year.... :)

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
There’s only two trim levels: Rubicon and Regret.

There’s only two packages: Fully-Loaded and Regret

I opted for Regret and can confirm, I Regret it everyday.

Can’t trade it in. Already did it once going from a 2D for a 4D. Took a $2000 bath on the trade if it helps.

The amount of money I spent on the sport easily exceeds a Rubicon fully-loaded.

Face it man.....You got a bad case of Keeping Up With The Jones. You want a Rubicon because you feel left out on this forum because 90% of the people on here that you'll never meet, have Rubicons. You'd still want to buy all those same parts even if you bought the Rubicon. You'd want Poison Spyder bumpers (Because if I see a 50k Rubicon with cheap off brand amazon bumpers with chipping and fading powder coat. I'm going to laugh, i'm sorry). You'd still want high dollar offset wheels and 37" tires. You'd still want a winch....You'd still want a metal cloak lift kit. You'd still want rock rails and prolly some LED lighting to light up those mall parking lots when you stayed out too late in the urban version of black bear pass. Getting some diapers for the ankle biters.... Dodging and navigating around the fentanyl nodding junkies and switch backing red light district toothless hookers. Be satisfied you have the means to have what you have.........If you could afford the Rubicon you'd have put pen to paper when you bought the Sport. Don't posture now to sound cool. You probably have a VERY nice rig if you've spent "enough to have bought a Rubicon".

Sponsored

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Last year I traded up from my JLU Sahara to Rubicon. All I did was let a couple dealers know and in two weeks one called and I made out OK. They had a customer looking for a Sahara and were eager to make a deal. Good luck and it cost nothing to explore.

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
I mean look at Unix Gawd in above post..........Beautiful and very capable rig............He bought the Rubicon and is taking EVERYTHING he paid Rubicon money for off the Jeep. I would just take a wild guess and say that he's approaching the amount of money that one could have a Defender D90 imported here from the UK for lol. I'd say by the time he spends what he says he's going to in that above post. He'll be approaching 90k easily including labor. Cut through the bullshit and he basically has retained the flashy interior, and the Rubicon sticker.............give or take a few other features that are very nice as well. But you get the drift.

butcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Face it man.....You got a bad case of Keeping Up With The Jones. You want a Rubicon because you feel left out on this forum because 90% of the people on here that you'll never meet, have Rubicons. You'd still want to buy all those same parts even if you bought the Rubicon. You'd want Poison Spyder bumpers (Because if I see a 50k Rubicon with cheap off brand amazon bumpers with chipping and fading powder coat. I'm going to laugh, i'm sorry). You'd still want high dollar offset wheels and 37" tires. You'd still want a winch....You'd still want a metal cloak lift kit. You'd still want rock rails and prolly some LED lighting to light up those mall parking lots when you stayed out too late in the urban version of black bear pass. Getting some diapers for the ankle biters.... Dodging and navigating around the fentanyl nodding junkies and switch backing red light district toothless hookers. Be satisfied you have the means to have what you have.........If you could afford the Rubicon you'd have put pen to paper when you bought the Sport. Don't posture now to sound cool. You probably have a VERY nice rig if you've spent "enough to have bought a Rubicon".
You get me bro. :)

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL (Firecracker Red); 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew 4x4; 1951 Ford F4 Deluxe Extra Cab;
I mean look at Unix Gawd in above post..........Beautiful and very capable rig............He bought the Rubicon and is taking EVERYTHING he paid Rubicon money for off the Jeep. I would just take a wild guess and say that he's approaching the amount of money that one could have a Defender D90 imported here from the UK for lol. I'd say by the time he spends what he says he's going to in that above post. He'll be approaching 90k easily including labor. Cut through the bullshit and he basically has retained the flashy interior, and the Rubicon sticker.............give or take a few other features that are very nice as well. But you get the drift.
LOL....its not that bad since I got a pretty good deal and have done most the work myself. However, it is still pricey. I'm a little older & single so no one other than me to spend money on. Plus I can invest the kid's leftover college fund on a great project, me!!!

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I think i would be on this same boat down the road if i had ordered a Sport vs. a Rubicon. For what i really "need" out of a Wrangler, a Sport S would have probably done the job and then some, but as i started to build it with the things i "want" and ordered in the Rubicon, i got within a $5K difference between the two (MSRP) but still wouldn't have the 8.4' screen and proximity key, so the decision was made to just go with the Rubicon even if changes are i will never use it to its full capabilities. I am also picky when it comes to aesthetics, and i just liked the brawnier look of the Rubicon.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I agree with some of the other folks on this thread. I have a Rubicon but removed bumpers, fenders, tires/wheels, gears, etc as soon I purchased it. You could pick up the Dana 44 axles and a number of other items dirt cheap from the people who swapped Dana 60s for the 44s. Standby, because I will be doing that by the end of the year.... :)
Who are you going thru for all your work? Going with built 44s or 60s?

Brett

Unix_Gawd

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who are you going thru for all your work? Going with built 44s or 60s?

Brett
The Jeep came with 44s. I had maxxed performance in Baytown, TX change the gears to Spicer 5.13.

If I get 60s there are a few companies that make the complete axles with gears. I have seen them priced 13-20k.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The Jeep came with 44s. I had maxxed performance in Baytown, TX change the gears to Spicer 5.13.

If I get 60s there are a few companies that make the complete axles with gears. I have seen them priced 13-20k.
You can get some beefed up 44s from Dynatrac or 60s. Just depends on what your goals are. Tons are always a safe bet just a substantial investment. Do you wheel much? If you haven’t been, you need to hit Moab. We went this year and it’s now an annual trip

Brett