Knock in rear with Dana 44

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara turbo firecracker red
It’s a bearing failure issue. Do you know if your diff fluid was burnt black?
Yes it was black but was told that during first few thousand mile that’s not unusual. Dealer found some filings but that much. Just wonder how you know what the problem is since no one seems to be sure. Bearings is what the dealer said after they said it was the lsd. Just seems like loads of theories but nothing definite. Why not the lsd and Dana? Seemed to work for sharkbite22.
Sponsored

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
Yes it was black but was told that during first few thousand mile that’s not unusual. Dealer found some filings but that much. Just wonder how you know what the problem is since no one seems to be sure. Bearings is what the dealer said after they said it was the lsd. Just seems like loads of theories but nothing definite. Why not the lsd and Dana? Seemed to work for sharkbite22.

The bearings and the LSD play a huge role together. No gear oil should be burnt black in the first few thousand miles..I’m in the aftermarket automotive industry and have a guy who developed this D44 that works with me...he called bearings from day 1 of my issue. They just don’t want to admit the issue because it’s going to be a larger issue as more people come forward. A simple wheel modification or a small lift doesn’t case this issue. It’s the fact that they are using low quality bearings to build a cheaper axle to support this platform.

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I think it’s time to goto the dealer.. are you guys getting loaners?

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bearings and the LSD play a huge role together. No gear oil should be burnt black in the first few thousand miles..I’m in the aftermarket automotive industry and have a guy who developed this D44 that works with me...he called bearings from day 1 of my issue. They just don’t want to admit the issue because it’s going to be a larger issue as more people come forward. A simple wheel modification or a small lift doesn’t case this issue. It’s the fact that they are using low quality bearings to build a cheaper axle to support this platform.
Again thanks for your insight. I know someone with jl Sahara but no selectrac or lsd and therefore not the same axle. She has 38 x 13 and a -44 wheel and I drive it for a while. NO knocking at all. Had my installer with me. He still thinks it’s connected to the lsd but with you and dealer saying bearings (dealer said bearings closest to pumpkin) I think you may all be right. Crappy bearings and lsd. It’s way past me but thanks for the input from both you and @Sharkbite22. Without you guys the rest of us are shooting in the dark. Btw my installer said one day down the line fca May just fess up considering the many complaints.

Sponsored

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious as to the recommendations for a fix. I’m sure my installer will know but since you seem well informed I’d appreciate any input on the fix . And can’t thank folks like you enough.

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More folk need to know this and spread the info. Fca is bsing us all and everyone will soon have the problem we are facing. When I spoke to Steve Stander from Fca
This needs to get out to more folks who own Wrangler jl as soon they will all have the same problem we have. Fca denies it’s the cheap parts and blames it on aftermarket mods. Of course that’s ridiculous. When I spoke to Fca (Steve Stander) executive referrals manager, and told him my issue he said the minute you modify you loose warranty as to the mod. Since I said 90-95% of wranglers are modified how can they do this. He said only 50% are modified (ridiculous) and that it was the mod that was the problem. So we all need to get it out there that it is the cheap bearings that Fca is putting in the jl Dana axle. I have spoke to several folks who do mods and all came to same conclusion after hearing the thumping. It IS the bearings. Even my dealer said it was but blamed it on my mod not the cheap parts. So get it out there and maybe Fca will fess up or eventually loose lots of Wrangler business. Just read @cambellchris4 as the man has it right. Fca be honest and admit your problem is not us.

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
As always ... the brand new 2020s are going to have the same issues. They may fix some for some people but not for the masses screwing more people for more money.
A change/fix is needed!!! Just watch there won’t be.
A used JK is the way to go if you are reading this considering a new one..
Not our responsibility to fix with our hard earned dollars here the already WAY OVER PRICED hoopty.

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
CD453464-D0B0-4F6A-ABA6-A0DFDF0CB1DD.jpeg
I was wondering when you were coming back. Did you finally give up on a fix and go get a Gladiator?
Thought I’d check on you guys hoping to see some relief for you all in a proper fix..
Absolutely NO WAY on the Wanna be Gladdy!!! I did however spend my hard earned on this and I am now seeking a nice used JK...
2019 Chevrolet Silverado 6.2 4x4 with the cream and I love it.
I was heart broken after the hell FCA put me through on my Rubicons (2 ordered vehicles..one they damaged badly shipping from factory the 2nd bad rear end they didn’t want to fess up to..goes on and on 6 months down the drain) went to look at others on lots and they had the rear problems so I moved on from all of this.

No vehicles are perfect but come on anymore with the huge issues here...I will revisit another new Rubicon in the near future hoping to see a proper vehicle again because over the years I have enjoyed all of them.

Hopefully you will all have a fix to your total satisfaction...

4AA32B71-4EFF-4A38-B64D-B1D423A1EB7C.jpeg

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm not jumping on the bandwagon but if FCA really is claiming some sort of "mod" suddenly and magically causes a rear axle to make noises it shouldn't....I'd sure like to see their technical analysis of this, and more so why their axle is the only one afflicted with said "unique" characteristics.

There's gotta be a million previous-gen Jeep products running around with similar or identical "mods" that have never experienced magical clunking....not to mention 10bolts, 12bolts, 14bolts, 7.5s, 8.8s, 9", 10.25, 10.5, 9.75, D44s, D60s, D70s, D80s and on and on and on...

IOW the mechanics and the physics just don't add up....

That said, OEM quality being what it typically is I find it hard to believe they managed to use (or actually, FIND) carrier bearings that would be this shitty. Taper roller bearings are not exactly new technology

campbellchris4

First Name
Chris Campbell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL unlimited sport
I'm not jumping on the bandwagon but if FCA really is claiming some sort of "mod" suddenly and magically causes a rear axle to make noises it shouldn't....I'd sure like to see their technical analysis of this, and more so why their axle is the only one afflicted with said "unique" characteristics.

There's gotta be a million previous-gen Jeep products running around with similar or identical "mods" that have never experienced magical clunking....not to mention 10bolts, 12bolts, 14bolts, 7.5s, 8.8s, 9", 10.25, 10.5, 9.75, D44s, D60s, D70s, D80s and on and on and on...

IOW the mechanics and the physics just don't add up....

That said, OEM quality being what it typically is I find it hard to believe they managed to use (or actually, FIND) carrier bearings that would be this shitty. Taper roller bearings are not exactly new technology

I agree. I will say that most OEM product isn't superior to most aftermarket product being made today. I see it everyday. In this case I believe the carrier bearings are playing a huge role. I also believe there was a group of these axles that left the factory out of spec as we aren't seeing these in every Jeep that's been pushed out thus far.

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Update from the dealer just now. They determined it's the rear left axle shaft. It's on order and should arrive by tomorrow. They are hopeful they will complete the repair by tomorrow if not by Monday. They confirmed the warranty is covering.
Update from the dealer this morning. Still making noise after axle shaft was replaced. Carrier bearings on order. I informed them (again) about the findings on this thread. I let them know folks having the entire axle replaced after a lot of trial and error replacing individual components.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Technically with new carrier bearings they should run the pattern again, I wonder if they will?

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Update from the dealer this morning. Still making noise after axle shaft was replaced. Carrier bearings on order. I informed them (again) about the findings on this thread. I let them know folks having the entire axle replaced after a lot of trial and error replacing individual components.
Carrier bearings not arriving till NEXT FRIDAY!
Sponsored