flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I and our dog Bosco about to start our journey to Costa Rica in our 2018 Wrangler JL. This is it. We have sold our house and just about all of our possessions to drive through Mexico and Central America and spend time in Costa Rica. We are so excited to be driving our JL on this trip. What could be better than a Jeep in Costa Rica? We have a blog if any of you are interested in following our Journey from Denver to Costa Rica. It is www.flipboltz.wordpress.com We will be posting daily with pics of beaches and food and of course Chivo, our JL. Thanks for letting me share!

4E070CE8-BF30-4B05-80D2-CA7710CC92E5.jpeg

DAY 1

Denver, CO to Nogales, AZ

Nothing too exciting here. 14.5 hours of driving a fully loaded up Jeep with Shannon & Bosco. Chivo is is weighted down pretty heavy but the shocks are holding just fine. I am in shock of how much stuff we fit into the back of the Jeep with the seat folded forward. This is my 3rd Jeep and this one holds so much more than my previous TJ & CJ combined!

We left Denver at 5am and it was snowing. No better way to start a 2 week road trip to Costa Rica than Denver giving us snow on the way out. It snowed and rained all the way to just North of Albuquerque.

We have made long drives many times before but something about this one was different. 14.5 hours flew by and we rolled into Nogales around 6:30pm. The scenery was new to us and it was exciting to see the landscape changing around us. There was a lot of wind so the MPG wasn't the best either. We drove 921 miles and got around 19.3mpg.

13D859F8-3A0C-4E20-9694-29ACE60D10C3.jpeg

0D4E9FC2-9D51-4E14-9FB6-F9188B8D4981.jpeg

F21E82F3-01D3-446D-A3A9-502FBF0B22DA.jpeg

DAY 2

Nogales to Navajoa, MX

Border crossing day! We woke up early got in Chivo and took off across the border. Super easy crossing into Mexico. At KM21 on the right is the immigration and customs. This took about 45 minutes, got our T.I.P. And we were on our way nice and legal to be driving in Mexico. We made our way to to the toll road and we off. Super uneventful drive for the day except for the topes. If you don’t know what topes are, they are bone rattling monster size speed bumps that come out of nowhere. You literally have to almost come to a stop and ease over them. The Jeep has great ground clearance, especially with the Rubi wheels, but with the weight we are carrying we have to take it easy. I can see how these can wreck a car easily especially at night because there are no street lights in the tiny towns and half of the topes are unmarked.

We drove for around 7 hours and 370 miles. I love seeing all of the palm trees and Chivo sure looks great by them as well.

894cb482-870f-4a55-b930-6743220a61ad-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on your epic journey! Excited to follow along. Do you guys have an instagram too?

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on your epic journey! Excited to follow along. Do you guys have an instagram too?
Yes we do! It is eat_beach_repeat Only 1 post right now but will be updating that daily as well. Thanks for asking!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You can not imagine how jealous I am. I love Costa Rica. Every time I’ve been there wasn’t a Wrangler to be had to rent. But I’m not brave enough to make the drive. Be safe, have fun, and keep us informed.

Pura Vida!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You can not imagine how jealous I am. I love Costa Rica. Every time I’ve been there wasn’t a Wrangler to be had to rent. But I’m not brave enough to make the drive. Be safe, have fun, and keep us informed.

Pura Vida!
Exactly! I'm not brave enough either. But totally jealous. Enjoy:like:

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Congratulations and best of luck! I'll be following your travels in hope of following you down there in the not too distant future!

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations and best of luck! I'll be following your travels in hope of following you down there in the not too distant future!
Thanks! Our hope is that chronicling our journey will show others that it can be done. I have been dreaming and researching this for a long time and it was the blogs of others that have helped us in our preparation for our trip. I don’t know anyone that has made this trip in a 2 door Jeep before so we hope to give insight on that, even though the 2 door is now the “rare” Wrangler.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! Our hope is that chronicling our journey will show others that it can be done. I have been dreaming and researching this for a long time and it was the blogs of others that have helped us in our preparation for our trip. I don’t know anyone that has made this trip in a 2 door Jeep before so we hope to give insight on that, even though the 2 door is now the “rare” Wrangler.
I could NEVER persuade my wife to move down there (I tried on my first trip years ago), but it’s possible that if things go well enough for you guys on the trip she’d be OK with me making the trek in the Jeep. Are you heading straight there by the most direct/quickest route or taking tine to make stopovers along the way to experience things along the way?

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My wife's brother is a doctor and was in Costa Rica for a year, beautiful country. Head on a swivel and be safe down there, It ain't like it used to was...

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My wife and I and our dog Bosco about to start our journey to Costa Rica in our 2018 Wrangler JL. This is it. We have sold our house and just about all of our possessions to drive through Mexico and Central America and spend time in Costa Rica. We are so excited to be driving our JL on this trip. What could be better than a Jeep in Costa Rica? We have a blog if any of you are interested in following our Journey from Denver to Costa Rica. It is www.flipboltz.wordpress.com We will be posting daily with pics of beaches and food and of course Chivo, our JL. Thanks for letting me share!

4E070CE8-BF30-4B05-80D2-CA7710CC92E5.jpeg
Very envious and have fun! Be careful in Mexico; I’ve spent time driving around and camping around Mexico and it can get pretty dicey.

Always ensure you have a loaded firearm and a couple extra magazines/clips close by as I guarantee you the locals will.....

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Very envious and have fun! Be careful in Mexico; I’ve spent time driving around and camping around Mexico and it can get pretty dicey.

Always ensure you have a loaded firearm and a couple extra magazines/clips close by as I guarantee you the locals will.....
No. Being found with a firearm or even ammunition in Mexico is NOT something you want to have happen. You will go to prison. Do NOT take a firearm into Mexico. That’s no bueno.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
What an awesome, epic Journey. I'll definitely be following this. Be safe, and enjoy!

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
No. Being found with a firearm or even ammunition in Mexico is NOT something you want to have happen. You will go to prison. Do NOT take a firearm into Mexico. That’s no bueno.
Exactly, no guns (ever), when traveling within Mexico. Even one round of ammo can get you in serious trouble.

@OP - enjoy your trip!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That’s correct, but not having one you will end up being robed, raped, and likely dead. Mexico is not a safe place for foreigners especially off the beaten path.

When in Rome applies to his situation....
Sponsored