Diabolical Slipstream Install and review

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
it only takes 10 minutes to cut them with a hacksaw and a dab of paint you are good to go. I heard they were not shipping voluntarily however I am sure you can buy the shorter ones. If you put the trim strip on them it is also a not issue and you want to keep them long

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Updated Review n ow that we've lived with it for a few months:

Everyone is different, uses their jeep differently, and has different tolerances for different details in life. We run doors and windows at home. Needed a lockable space; After a few months, here is how we feel:

Love the Slipstream. Noticed top of the Slipstream getting scratched from sliding coolers. Added Hydroturf. Stopped the sliding, like the look. We ride in Sunrider position, Safari mode to have open air, yet maintain rear visibility. We never open the slipstream to access items underneath. Solid, no rattles. Have a rear deck tonneau ordered (6 months ago, not released yet) to make trunk more water proof. Our tailgate closes perfectly with the rear window installed. It's tight, but works perfect. All in all it's perfect for our needs.

Drive more, worry less.

Cheers,
James

Diab.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Updated Review n ow that we've lived with it for a few months:

Everyone is different, uses their jeep differently, and has different tolerances for different details in life. We run doors and windows at home. Needed a lockable space; After a few months, here is how we feel:

Love the Slipstream. Noticed top of the Slipstream getting scratched from sliding coolers. Added Hydroturf. Stopped the sliding, like the look. We ride in Sunrider position, Safari mode to have open air, yet maintain rear visibility. We never open the slipstream to access items underneath. Solid, no rattles. Have a rear deck tonneau ordered (6 months ago, not released yet) to make trunk more water proof. Our tailgate closes perfectly with the rear window installed. It's tight, but works perfect. All in all it's perfect for our needs.

Drive more, worry less.

Cheers,
James

Diab.jpg

Love the rubber diamond plate covering, what is it and where did you buy it

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love the rubber diamond plate covering, what is it and where did you buy it
Hydroturf. Available in different cut patterns, and different colors. I almost went bi color Black/Red (Black Surface and Red where they cut the pattern), but decided to stay a little more subtle. You can buy it from any number of sources, But I usually buy it from Ebay with 3M adhesive tape pre-attached as it's easier to work with. About $80 for a sheet. Make pattern with cardboard, then cut out hydroturf. Took 1 1/2 hours to install.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hydroturf. Available in different cut patterns, and different colors. I almost went bi color Black/Red (Black Surface and Red where they cut the pattern), but decided to stay a little more subtle. You can buy it from any number of sources, But I usually buy it from Ebay with 3M adhesive tape pre-attached as it's easier to work with. About $80 for a sheet. Make pattern with cardboard, then cut out hydroturf. Took 1 1/2 hours to install.

The only down side I can see though is cleaning as it is a very aggressive pattern like a lot of floormats

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only down side I can see though is cleaning as it is a very aggressive pattern like a lot of floormats
Cleaning it?

It's not for everyone, and good to have options. As I said earlier, we're all different.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't specifically ask that, so I can't say.
All existing customers that have received a Slipstream for their JLU will be able to order the new Tie Down Rails Free of charge.

Use the Code FreeTDR. You must be logged in to your existing online account.

https://shop.diabolicalinc.com/collections/all/products/tie-down-brackets

For anyone that wishes to use them on their JK/JKU, they are available for order.

All new Slipstreams will be shipped with the shorter Tie Down Rails.

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
All existing customers that have received a Slipstream for their JLU will be able to order the new Tie Down Rails Free of charge.

For anyone that wishes to use them on their JK/JKU, they are available for order.

Guys, don't forget to use ' Forums50 ' for $50 off at checkout. I just ordered mine.

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Adding the video below to this thread in case Slipstream owners are wondering how to unlock the soft top prior to installing on the Jeep but after the Slipstream has been installed.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Adding the video below to this thread in case Slipstream owners are wondering how to unlock the soft top prior to installing on the Jeep but after the Slipstream has been installed.

Mine unlocked without twisting however it also snapped back aggressively, your way is better. I found that with two people the alignment was easy with one person lifting the top in the folded position. The Top rollers also took some manipulation and force to get in. I will likely not remove the softop to run naked this summer and will only remove the soft top to install the hard top.

I bought 1/4 neoprene padding for the cushioning however that was not enough so I doubled up to 1/2 inch which works However I will likely go to a 3/4" or 1" thick

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Mine unlocked without twisting however it also snapped back aggressively, your way is better. I found that with two people the alignment was easy with one person lifting the top in the folded position. The Top rollers also took some manipulation and force to get in. I will likely not remove the softop to run naked this summer and will only remove the soft top to install the hard top.

I bought 1/4 neoprene padding for the cushioning however that was not enough so I doubled up to 1/2 inch which works However I will likely go to a 3/4" or 1" thick
Correct. The top rollers are a little tough to install and remove as the top does not sit low enough but I'd rather have the security of the Slipstream.

Alan at Diabolical is working on a padding solution for where the top rests on the Slipstream as well as for the area where the top rollers sit if disconnected.

Tannerdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 upgraded (?) to a 2020 JLUR
I'm loving the Slipstream on my JLUR. One problem I'm having is that I can't get the soft top "unhooked" from the roller tracks. I'm probably not using the correct terms, but I like to get the top as low as possible by taking the top out of the guide/roller tracks and laying it down very flat. Has anyone with the Slipstream installed been able to lay their soft top all the way down?

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Tannerdc - I don't take the top rollers off but it is more difficult as the soft top does not sit low enough for the top track to come out easily. For my top, I have to pull back and down fairly hard on the soft top to get the track to release. It takes some effort but can be done.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue

I didn't create an account when I ordered. How do I get the free shorter tie down rails?
Sponsored