Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Hello all, in terms of Rubicon, what are your thoughts about Diesel vs Petrol versions. Cost of running, maintenance, ride comfort etc.
Petrol will normally have a smoother ride, maintenance costs should be pretty similar, I've had a diesel JK for 6 years and it hasn't cost me much in terms of diesel specific parts or maintenance. Opting for a petrol JL as I personally prefer the feel of petrol engines.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep@Aus

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Thanks Mate,With the Rubicon diesel, is that a new engine for GM or it has been acquired from a different vehicle where it has proven its reliability.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
Thanks Mate,With the Rubicon diesel, is that a new engine for GM or it has been acquired from a different vehicle where it has proven its reliability.
I have no idea on that one sorry, I was set on the petrol from the get go so never looked into the diesel.. what are your reasons for wanting each of them? Do you normally just prefer diesel or are you trying to work out the best engine for you?

OP
OP
Jeep@Aus

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just looking at the options and finding whats best ,I don't mind which one -Will be used for daily commute in stop start traffic and occasional long drives and of course off track but not extreme.

JJMatar

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Bright White 2020 JLUR
Just looking at the options and finding whats best ,I don't mind which one -Will be used for daily commute in stop start traffic and occasional long drives and of course off track but not extreme.
Evening!

I was in the same boat as you, tossing up between the diesel and petrol except I was looking at diesel because we are planning on towing a horse float occasionally and all that extra torque much lower on the powerband makes a huge difference when lugging a couple of tons behind you.

To answer your question, the 3.0L ecodiesel is also featured in the Grand Cherokee but ultimately it hasn’t really been done successfully on the Wrangler. At the end of the day, as much as I wanted the extra torque for towing I decided that the risk was’t worth it (plus the $5k price tag!). Not only have I heard pretty sketchy things about the Diesel engines (there are a few forums on here about them and the consensus isn’t great), I don’t want to be a guinea pig buying not only one of the first JL’s in the country but also one of the first diesels. While the diesel will help with power, range and uphil climbs on the trails it won’t be as peppy as the petrol for everyday driving.

I ultimately decided on petrol. I won’t have to tow often, for everyday driving I didn’t want the sluggishness that you get in a diesel and the 3.6L is tried and true.

Whichever you decide, I’m sure you’ll love it!
I hope I helped in some way.

Sponsored

JJMatar

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Bright White 2020 JLUR
OP
OP
Jeep@Aus

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Evening!

I was in the same boat as you, tossing up between the diesel and petrol except I was looking at diesel because we are planning on towing a horse float occasionally and all that extra torque much lower on the powerband makes a huge difference when lugging a couple of tons behind you.

To answer your question, the 3.0L ecodiesel is also featured in the Grand Cherokee but ultimately it hasn’t really been done successfully on the Wrangler. At the end of the day, as much as I wanted the extra torque for towing I decided that the risk was’t worth it (plus the $5k price tag!). Not only have I heard pretty sketchy things about the Diesel engines (there are a few forums on here about them and the consensus isn’t great), I don’t want to be a guinea pig buying not only one of the first JL’s in the country but also one of the first diesels. While the diesel will help with power, range and uphil climbs on the trails it won’t be as peppy as the petrol for everyday driving.

I ultimately decided on petrol. I won’t have to tow often, for everyday driving I didn’t want the sluggishness that you get in a diesel and the 3.6L is tried and true.

Whichever you decide, I’m sure you’ll love it!
I hope I helped in some way.
Good evening JJMatar, i have seen the US forums and was thinking the same to stick with Petrol and you are right,we would definitely love the Jeep,regardless of the engine. Note -I thought we were getting the 2.0 turbo and not the 3.0 eco. Correct me if am wrong.

JJMatar

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Bright White 2020 JLUR
Good evening JJMatar, i have seen the US forums and was thinking the same to stick with Petrol and you are right,we would definitely love the Jeep,regardless of the engine. Note -I thought we were getting the 2.0 turbo and not the 3.0 eco. Correct me if am wrong.
Haha I don’t think there is a “right or wrong” when we’re being fed so little information. I apologize and stand corrected, it’s been a while since I looked into it and I’ve read so much about the different engines around that I got my wires crossed. According to my sheet sent by Jeep Australia, (we’re actually both incorrect LOL) it’s the 2.2L Multijet II Turbo and it’s been used in Fiats and the Cherokee. At the end of the day though, what a Wrangler gets put through vs other cars everyday driving is a chalk and cheese comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeep@Aus

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Had a call from Essendon (VIC) that they have few Rubicons from Head Office there just for the day and would be available for viewing but not driving . Went there and had Five Rubicons (Black ,White , Red, Green ,Orange), Jeep nerds - Firecracker ,Mojito, Pumpkina along with few guys from US Jeep as well. Some interesting finds -

1 ) These Rubi's comes with the same Overland Bumper and not the metal one. They think the next production lot would have Metal bumpers but not this one. So for people who ordered one ,May be better to confirm with your dealer what you are getting .
2) Black Rubi had the optional beige seats which in turn made the dash-colour change from red to a dark grey. However the armrest stayed black which is an eyesore imo. The Mojito and Pumpkin came with Black seats and Dark Grey Dash.
3)Black Rubi also had the optional black alloys which looked nicer that the Rubi standard ones.
4 ) This one probably you all are aware that the side steps are much thinner than the Overland .
5) Rear view mirrors have indicators .
6) Spare wheel cover is not the hard plastic as we see in overland, its the normal black with the writing Jeep on it.

Dealer reckon that all the Rubicons they will be getting are Customer orders and won't have one for driving at least until Nov-Dec .

JJMatar

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Bright White 2020 JLUR
Had a call from Essendon (VIC) that they have few Rubicons from Head Office there just for the day and would be available for viewing but not driving . Went there and had Five Rubicons (Black ,White , Red, Green ,Orange), Jeep nerds - Firecracker ,Mojito, Pumpkina along with few guys from US Jeep as well. Some interesting finds -

1 ) These Rubi's comes with the same Overland Bumper and not the metal one. They think the next production lot would have Metal bumpers but not this one. So for people who ordered one ,May be better to confirm with your dealer what you are getting .
2) Black Rubi had the optional beige seats which in turn made the dash-colour change from red to a dark grey. However the armrest stayed black which is an eyesore imo. The Mojito and Pumpkin came with Black seats and Dark Grey Dash.
3)Black Rubi also had the optional black alloys which looked nicer that the Rubi standard ones.
4 ) This one probably you all are aware that the side steps are much thinner than the Overland .
6) Spare wheel cover is not the hard plastic as we see in overland, its the normal black with the writing Jeep on it.

Dealer reckon that all the Rubicons they will be getting are Customer orders and won't have one for driving at least until Nov-Dec .
Thank you for the update! It would have been very exciting to see them for the first time and I appreciate the post.

You didn’t happen to take any photos that you would like to share? [crosses fingers and toes]

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep@Aus

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Thank you for the update! It would have been very exciting to see them for the first time and I appreciate the post.

You didn’t happen to take any photos that you would like to share? [crosses fingers and toes]
Of course I did ,exterior ones though..There was this humble request from the dealer as well as the homeland guys not to share it any Social Platforms ,hence refrained. Happy to send the pics to an email address if you want .Not sure whether you can pm in this forum.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon

This is very interesting.. These Rubicons coming with the standard front bar considering the spec guide states they should be steel front bar =/
Did they say anything about why that first shipment came with that standard bar? Im assuming because of the shortage in steel bars, they sent with standard and will replace with steel when they come in stock?

OP
OP
Jeep@Aus

Jeep@Aus

First Name
JJJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Nope , They didn't know it either. The US guy said it might be available as a Mopar accessory but wasn't sure.

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
So I dropped by Essendon Jeep to get update on the delivery date.

My JLUR was made on 20th of March and now "In Shipping" and will most probably arrive in Australia end of May for June delivery.

Also saw 4 JLUR as mentioned earlier. They are owned by Jeep Australia and are here for compliance testing. They don't have the steel bumper but got the front parking sensor like Overland/UK Rubicon.

More interestingly all of them got the UK spec transfercase with 4High Auto.

Not sure if it's a good thing or we are getting shortchanged once Australian spec Rubicon gets delivered.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
So I dropped by Essendon Jeep to get update on the delivery date.

My JLUR was made on 20th of March and now "In Shipping" and will most probably arrive in Australia end of May for June delivery.

Also saw 4 JLUR as mentioned earlier. They are owned by Jeep Australia and are here for compliance testing. They don't have the steel bumper but got the front parking sensor like Overland/UK Rubicon.

More interestingly all of them got the UK spec transfercase with 4High Auto.

Not sure if it's a good thing or we are getting shortchanged once Australian spec Rubicon gets delivered.
Yes we basically get the UK spec ones with a bit of Aussie flavour i suspect.. But A Rubicon without the Steel Front Bumper.. really.. Transfer case is interesting, ..

per spec sheet - the tan seats is an option. spare cover is soft the dash colours all in there..
yes the 'side steps' should actually be the step slider (per spec sheet).
Rear View has indicators?? what do you mean ???
What wheels did they have..
Were fender and bonnet same as Overland and we all hope they have the lockers and swag disconnect :)
also keen to see pics...
Sponsored