Tops off... Dogs in

lorlik

First Name
Leonid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (Sold), 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR White
I have two shepherds and both of them ride in the trunk. I use a tether similar to the one in the link below and i attach it to the child car seat mounting location on the back of back seats and to their collars. One dog to the left seat and one to the right. With one dog you can use the center location to give him room to go to either side of the trunk.
upload_2019-4-15_14-39-5.png

Not this exact one, but similar:
https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Paw...sprefix=dog+car+te,aps,139&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I have two shepherds and both of them ride in the trunk. I use a tether similar to the one in the link below and i attach it to the child car seat mounting location on the back of back seats and to their collars. One dog to the left seat and one to the right. With one dog you can use the center location to give him room to go to either side of the trunk.
upload_2019-4-15_14-39-5.png

Not this exact one, but similar:
https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Paw-Attachment-Tangle-Free-Adjustable/dp/B019KHFESQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=UCVSV479XOU0&keywords=dog+car+tether&qid=1555353095&s=gateway&sprefix=dog+car+te,aps,139&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Just stumbled upon your post and this is exactly what I was thinking of doing. So I clicked your link and I've got two arriving on Wednesday. My pups will be thanking you! I tried without a harness, but our St. Bernard puppy decided it was a game to go from the trunk to the rear seat, again and again. And since I'll be taking the top off when this Wisconsin weather cooperates, this was the perfect solution.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
My dogs like to roam so I don't restrain them. They have been riding in Jeeps their whole lives and will only jump out if I'm going under 15 or so and never unless I tell them it's ok to go.

MinorInsanity

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Mojito Rubicon
This is the main reason we actually bought the JLU, despite my wife blaming my mid-life crisis. :) They are unrestrained, which I know makes me a "bad" pet owner, but if I survived the 70s travelling in the back of a pick up, I'm sure they'll be fine. Anytime we leave the house, there is always risk, I know.

Last Sunday, 45 degrees, clear blue sky...perfect day to do to the dog park topless.

20190414_135750.jpg

20190414_135758.jpg

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
A bunch of JL and JLU versions. Barrier dividers behind front seats, rear seats even add a dog door you can open or close up. We also make MIL-SPEC leashes that hook into the seat belts and the cargo area holds (use with a body harness)
Jeep Stuff
Dog Stuff
I'm thinking of getting the Raingler nets with the dog door so I can put my skis through the dog door. But I'm wondering about the webbing and rear view mirror visibility? I'm a chronic over-checker of mirrors since I ride a street bike. It's a habit I cannot break when driving a car.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
This is the main reason we actually bought the JLU, despite my wife blaming my mid-life crisis. :) They are unrestrained, which I know makes me a "bad" pet owner, but if I survived the 70s travelling in the back of a pick up, I'm sure they'll be fine. Anytime we leave the house, there is always risk, I know.

Last Sunday, 45 degrees, clear blue sky...perfect day to do to the dog park topless.

20190414_135750.jpg
I have to laugh at your plate . Thatā€™s one of the nicknames for our doodle, Little Miss Wiggle Butt.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not my current jeep but I do the same with the JL. I have a short chain that anchors to the floor of the cargo area halfway between the jeep sides. This allows her to move side to side but not jump out. The chain is attached to a proper harness not a collar.

emilyInJeep.JPG

Raingler Nets

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
raingler.com
Vehicle(s)
RAM2500Cummins
Occupation
Custom Cargo Net Builders
I'm thinking of getting the Raingler nets with the dog door so I can put my skis through the dog door. But I'm wondering about the webbing and rear view mirror visibility? I'm a chronic over-checker of mirrors since I ride a street bike. It's a habit I cannot break when driving a car.
The spacing for the cargo net style Standard webbing, MIL-SPEC or HYBRID material is at a 4" square between openings. We found this to be a great balance between containment to visibility over the years.
We also have a military grade mesh screening that performs excellent for dog hair retention and for the best visibility. It's ratedto 215 PSI and has been in use and long-term testing in a pit-bull rescue Sprinter van.

All materials
Example of the mesh material.

20170913_145416.jpg

20170913_145621.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Boxers are amazing wigglers. Best I've seen. So fun to watch them.

I'm on my second Great Dane and they aren't so much wigglers but their tails are lethal. First one busted hers open and we eventually had to get it amputated because we couldn't get it healed properly because she wouldn't stop shaking and hitting it. Sigh. The current one has no care in the world. Tail bangs hard against anything and everything.

I guess germane to thread I'll say, the cheap Harbor Freight blankets are working for me right now. I would get decent seat covers like Canvasback (probably the best IMO), but the JL rear seat is too small for my girl, so I have to run rear seats folded down. The blankets on top of MOPAR cargo mats give good coverage and support. I do need something for the sides, though, to keep the hair under control.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I took my dog to the vet in my Jeep today. Poor girl had her first JL ride to get a shot in the bum. I used two tethers to secure her in the back. She seemed OK (sheā€™s not the bravest girl). Iā€™ll put the windows in for the beach trip this weekend (itā€™s a couple hours to get there).

This look on her face is her realizing where we are.
IMG_6048-X2.jpg

Happy to be on the way home :)
IMG_6049-X2.jpg

98intrigue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Moab, '14 Viper
Occupation
Project Manager
I donā€™t have any feedback to add, but I also took one of my Boxers to the vet today.

34D340EA-81DF-4CB9-BCEB-BFF6B802EB77.jpeg
Sponsored