Safe way to remove media cover?

uRJeremyK

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm sure most are like me that shows has a USB cable connected for Android auto or car play. The open door sticking up over it bothers me but I can't seem to gracefully take it off.

Has anyone done so without breaking thinks?
Sponsored

10mmauto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2008 Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. I worked on this just this morning. I was able to get the cover of the USB socket/cigarette lighter off by knocking out the roll pin that holds it on - I used a very small punch and a small hammer. It pushed right out. I tried the same thing on the larger cover, but the pin wouldn't budge. I'm not sure how to proceed...

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Use the usb in the center console storage area. There is a little space for a cord to allow it to be closed... then just rest your phone wirh cord in the cup holder...or leave it in he center console storage area.
This is what I did also because I was afraid of the media door breaking off with it always being open.

Twmcneilly

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 CTD, 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour
Occupation
Retired
I'm sure most are like me that shows has a USB cable connected for Android auto or car play. The open door sticking up over it bothers me but I can't seem to gracefully take it off.

Has anyone done so without breaking thinks?
I too didn’t like the media door opened all the time, and was afraid I’d break it attempting to remove it.
So, I use the USB (USB 2) inside the center console for my semi-permanent installation of a lightning cord routed to my iPhone ProClip mounted on the grab bar.
And, I use the USB (USB 3) on the aft end of the console in the rear passengers area for a super mini thumb drive for my MP3 music files.. yes, that door is partially open all the time, but I don’t have to fixate on it like it the one in front of me.
That leaves USB 1 inside the media door on the instrument panel as a “guest” outlet for the occasional phone charger. Oh and I keep a spare lightning cord and a microUSB cord in the console for folks who might need a bit of phone juice when riding shotgun with me.

C7161731-319A-4C51-91BF-27859045D305.jpeg

75640C06-E956-45BF-8EC1-80B998038BEF.jpeg

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar setup.

Cable from inside the console which lays between the seat and the console, I plug in and lay my phone next to the E-Brake handle.
Then I have a compact-USB, with a ton of music, like you have in the back, in my front USB and the door shuts down over it, just short of being closed, but you can't tell.

I use a magnetic data/charge cable so I don't fumble with it, I can lay the phone down, grab the cable with one hand, get it close to the end and it pops right on itself.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Wow. I worked on this just this morning. I was able to get the cover of the USB socket/cigarette lighter off by knocking out the roll pin that holds it on - I used a very small punch and a small hammer. It pushed right out. I tried the same thing on the larger cover, but the pin wouldn't budge. I'm not sure how to proceed...
Hey guys, thanks for resurrecting this project. I posted about this and I mostly just got flack for trying to do it. Anyway, here's what I learned:
- 12v comes out with a punch to the pin just as y'all described
- The Media cover and front plate will come out of the dash. Pull straight on the cover and it'll pop off. That will let you work on it.
- A small PVC saw will cut enough of the cover off the plate that you can disengage the pins and remove it. There's a pin on each side which is why removal in place with a punch doesn't work.
- The PVC saw will also cut your fingers.

It's all plastic, and it does scratch easy, it can be done, and it does make it much more functional. I figured if I ever mung anything up too badly that whole dash piece can be replaced pretty easy.

Cheers guys,
Nick

Last edited:

10mmauto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly where did you cut on the plate and which way do the pins come off? If you could upload a picture of the part, that would be great.

Thanks.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Exactly where did you cut on the plate and which way do the pins come off? If you could upload a picture of the part, that would be great.

Thanks.
I only cut the cover. Basically along where there's already the space in the middle. Once you cut through to that space the pins pretty much fell out.

10mmauto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, thanks.

Sponsored

10mmauto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Noted.

(I might try a dremel...)

10mmauto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
NickTinVA - thanks.

Worked like a charm!
IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_2022.JPG
IMG_2023.JPG

Alvahall

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon Recon
Thanks, that was what I needed to know. After putting it back in the dash, I decided I didn't like the hinge half showing at the top. So, I ground it off and sanded it to match. There was a vent slot behind the hinge that I didn't know about, but it looks like it is supposed to be there.

301_2553.JPG
Sponsored