Sponsored

So what's it like living with the JL? (Especially folks who switched from a full sized truck)

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Went from a 04 Silverado 2500 Duramax regular cab long bed to a jlur. But it was a house project hauler and but a work truck so the bed was rarely used.

First you lose the cargo carrying capacity and the ability to just throw things in the black hole that is the bed as expected but for me but a big loss. I did pick up a 4x8 trailer to use as a hauler never going to push it's limits in weight but at $20/yr in registration fees worth when I need to carry plywood sheets around.

For the transfer case questions 99% of the the you will be in 2 hi and the design is based on decades old design with this use case in mind it will be fine.
This.

I think its perspective.

My first vehicle was a 2 door tacoma. Loved it. I could throw whatever I wanted in the back. Literally just toss in.

Then it was smashed and totaled and I went for a smaller Lexus IS300. Fun car!

BUT...for house projects, it SUCKED. I had to wait for my buddy who has a truck to visit me so I could make runs and get plywood, 2x4, drywall, etc etc.

I hated doing that. Because when I had my truck, EVERYONE wanted free help moving stuff or carrying stuff.

So I decided I needed something in between. Family + Utility. The JLUR doesnt have a lot of cargo space and Im fine with that. Enough for groceries and to take my pups around. But its a LOT more than my Lexus. I can safely put my pups in the back rather than the leather seats. I can "throw stuff" in the cargo and easily retrieve without having to open up the back really. I can fold the seats down and carry longer items.

I will be getting a trailer for those times I need to bring wood and such to the house. Connect, pick up/deliver, disconnect.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a 2014 GMC 1500, Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 4x4, loaded. 6 months ago, I bought the JLUR. I can tell you hands down, the truck is more comfortable, quieter, drives more stable and has more internal cab width. I believe the GMC is also likely to be more reliable. But it won't go places the Jeep will go. The truck is a land yacht. But it is a highway trip king. I'm keeping the truck to tow the Jeep.

And for my perspective, I'd recommend you go with a 4WD truck with a topper, put it in "Auto" in the rain and snow on the road. Much more confidence inspiring in Auto when driving in those conditions.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In reading all the posts, the most important, hardest to "quantify " is the often mentioned
"FUN" factor. That is Priceless, and ranks first on my "Why Buy " rationale.

miklm

First Name
Miklm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I have a 2007.5 Silverado 2500 Z71 crew cab Duramax which I’ve had since 2010. I no longer need the full capabilities of that truck as I did when I bought it. I have decided to keep it for now, to see how the first 6 months or so of Jeep ownership go, but if I don’t use the truck much I will sell it. We also have a Tahoe which is my wife's daily family vehicle.

For me, the pro/con are:
- Fuel econ close to same (Jeep JLUR), but Jeep uses regular gas which is cheaper than diesel
- Truck has more room + bed // Jeep has "enough" room for what I do 95% of the time.
- Jeep is way smaller/easier to park & maneuver in parking garages etc.
- Truck is arguably better at Interstate speed (80+)
- Towing, there's no comparison. Jeep maxes out with a large utility trailer. But does this matter to you?

The Duramax is tuned & has an exhaust, plus its a 3/4 ton so its always been loud & rough riding. So the Jeep is a step up in most of those regards. The Jeep suspension is much softer, so it rides better over rough roads. The truck steering/handling is arguably better.

I have a good utility trailer which I can use when I need to haul things. I may get a hitch cargo carrier for gas cans, etc. on the Jeep.

Since every vehicle owner has their own requirements, you'll just have to decide what works for you. But I understand your concerns moving from a truck to a Jeep. Good luck!

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I went from that...to a JLUR. The Jeep is a lot smaller, which for works well for me since i work in the woods. I also have an 8 foot trailer for hauling my 4-wheeler and assorted crap my wife buys at Lowes. I can't tow much with the JL, but if i needed to tow i would have gotten another truck. I don't see the comparison being much help though. The vehicles are so different, I'm not sure how you could be indecisive. If you need to do truck stuff, get a truck. If you want to rock, get a jeep. If you want to do truck stuff AND rock, get a gladiator.

IMG_1230.JPG

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
You have to do what you think is best for you.

I cant be without a truck. Have way to much stuff to haul. 18 F150

We needed a SUV in 14 when we bought a new Durango. Didnt have or even consider a Jeep then. Had young kids, a dog, and wife's parents live 12 hrs away. So wanted comfortable and needed room.

JLUR is only a want. We really do NEED anything about it. And for our lifestyle, its really only a toy. For fun. And its ALOT more fun then my truck or the Durango. We also have a place up north where there are lots of forest roads and stuff to break parts on the Jeep.

Im not saying a Jeep is a toy for all people, just for us. It really makes little practical sense for us, though it gets close to the mpg as our Durango.

But my wife really wanted it. Good enough for me.

Cody6597

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Of course you lose a great deal from a full size truck to a jeep when it comes to day to day. I had a Ram Laramie Crew Cab that was everything I needed...all the comfort, room, power, pay load, drive-ability and great travel. What is was missing is FUN and you don't get smiles like this in a truck. Well worth the trade.

58629866_666068250515066_7148715125636071424_n(5).jpg

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I had a 2016 Silverado, that I bought new for my birthday, that I traded in for the JLUR (Crew cab, short bed, 4x4, 5.3, loaded interior) I thought I was going to keep it forever. When I started to look at how much I actually used the truck for truck stuff, I realized I always borrowed a trailer for most of it. With a hard folding bed cover I barely used the bed to haul anything large. Sure I would haul lumber or plywood occasionally for projects but that was only a few times a year. The heaviest thing I pulled was 3 tons of crushed concrete from a store in town to build my shed. Or maybe it was a towable 50ft man lift from a rental company. Either of which, I'm sure the JL could tow over a short distance around town, carefully. I do miss the truck no doubt, but I have no regrets getting a JLUR in its place.

But of course as I'm writing this, I'm considering a beater farm truck to do my dirty work around the house...

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
93C0206C-11D9-4B72-B9A5-C877564C6423.jpeg
I come to my new JLU from a 20 year string of 1-ton Duallies.
I flat love it. Been a long time since driving was something I did just for fun.
I did 2 things:
1. I bought a 4x7 utility trailer from Tractor Supply. $600. It’s welded together, not assembled at home, like Harbor Freight. It’s stout, but light. I recently helped a friend move, and we used my trailer to carry all the big and heavy stuff, because it was so much easier to load/unload than his truck.
2. I removed the rear seat. Tons of room back there now. I made a plywood platform in a half-hour which gives me a ~6’ covered bed. I need to paint it.
It’s a miniature Suburban that can go anywhere.

03AA88D9-DF77-4215-A333-76C4BE5047C3.jpeg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Then honestly, for a small board or two I will probably still take the Jeep over my RAM. Driving that big thing seems like a chore now.
That's exactly it. I loved my Ram but it did seem like a chore to drive because it was so dang big.
To be clear, it wasn't difficult to drive. It rode nice, steered easy, etc. The chore was just maneuvering something so big any time you got to a tight area. IDK maybe people who live in the city and are used to congestion may not be bothered by it. To me the Jeep is just easier to drive by comparison to a full size truck.

....l. What is was missing is FUN and you don't get smiles like this in a truck. Well worth the trade.
This. This right here, is why I don't regret selling my truck. It's FUN to drive my Jeep. Even if I'm not leaving the pavement, it's more fun than driving my truck was. The truck was super comfortable and convenient, but the Jeep is just plain fun.

Some people have already mentioned it. The idea situation is to keep the truck and buy a Jeep too. For some people that's not an option though. So for those who have to pick one. Both are great choices, but to answer the OP's question, no I don't regret selling my truck and buying a JL.

Sponsored

Newfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jl, 07 Ram 3500, 13 CRV
My work vehicle is a ram 3500, rides pretty good IMO, but I've been buying pickup trucks forever; to me a Jeep Rubicon rides like a Cadillac, everybody complaining about the ride you might be better off buying a car based SUV then a Jeep. There is room in the unlimited to carry some stuff and you can put a roof rack on it, but for the heavy-duty stuff you need to truck so you got to have both Jeep and Ram.

20171216_093835.jpg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Mustang, so my Jeep has TONS of cargo space. :)

But I was able to get an 8 pc double bass drum set in that Mustang.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I kept my Ram so I can still haul big things, pull a big trailer, etc.

Jeeps are much more fun. But I miss having torque, the V6 has very little of it. I need a supercharger...haha

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I daily drove Cummins powered pickups from 1991 until 2018.

This thing is awesome to dd.

Quick, 20 mpg on cheap gas, easy to park in compact car spots and lots of thumbs ups.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing will put a smile on your face like a Jeep.
Actually now that you mention it there are a few things...

Oh wait that’s the O face, yeah, never-mind good point good point.

768C9351-1CB1-4E9F-81C0-F05F6A97E825.gif
Sponsored