First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what oil does Chrysler fill the JL with at the dealerships when they do oil changes? Pennzoil? And does anyone know if the MO-349 filter at Walmart is the same as the dealership? Or is it a cheap knock off ? I know the old style screw on mopar filters sold at Walmart were different quality then the mopar ones sold in parts dept of dealer
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what oil does Chrysler fill the JL with at the dealerships when they do oil changes? Pennzoil? And does anyone know if the MO-349 filter at Walmart is the same as the dealership? Or is it a cheap knock off ? I know the old style screw on mopar filters sold at Walmart were different quality then the mopar ones sold in parts dept of dealer
@Respo

The Mopar MO-349 is the same as you get at the dealership and is the one you use on the 3.6L, JL.

Also, DO read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bil-1-extended-performance-oil-filters.25943/

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Most I've seen use Pennzoil. I've seen a few use Valvoline. I've seen a couple that use Mobil 1 for "premium synthetic" oil changes even though FCA won't allow Mobil 1 to have MS6395 certification. I don't know if they have access to FCA discounts on bulk SOPUS oil (Shell, Pennzoil's parent company). FCA is in bed with Shell big time, so I'd imagine they encourage the use of Pennzoil. For Pennzoil 0w20, it has to be either Pennzoil Gold or Platinum. Plain Pennzoil yellow bottle doesn't come in that weight. It has to at least be a synthetic blend.

Last edited:

Respo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is the platinum full synthetic?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Wow - what an entertaining thread! I change my own oil and I'll tell you why. Once upon a time I had a little Nissan Frontier 4x4. The little truck had like a 3 quart oil pan. I took it to one of those quickie oil places. Oil change in 30 minutes - riiiiiiight, I was the second vehicle in line. It took 2 and a half hours! And get this: I had to go out twice and tell my oil change expert what oil I wanted since I saw he had the wrong bottles beside my truck. Then, they charged for "4x4" extra 10 bucks to remove 5 screws over the plastic skid plate, 5 dollars used oil fee (remember I have 3 quart pan) and for grease on fittings - that one I called BS since the fittings were sealed and they argued but agreed to remove it. Altogether it was about $50 and 2.5 hours of my time - and remember this was 2001!
I relented once when I had a VW GTI and it looked like a soup sandwich under the car, so I went and had the oil change - friggin close to 85 dollars. Then I watched a youtube video, bought a couple funky sockets and did my own oil change on that. GTI's are nice but damn that overly complicated-engineered german car crap!
Guys/Gals - the Jeep has to be one of the easier vehicles to do your own oil/filter changes on. The WORST I had was a 83 Chevy S-10 with the 2.8, anybody remember those? You had to lift the front end and wiggle through the fender around the tire to get to the oil filter and heaven help you if it crushed and you had to chisel it off....been there, done that.

acacia052

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited jl
Honestly it doesn’t matter. As long as it’s stamped with the correct API certificate on the bottle for mopar. You can run Mobil, Castrol, valvoline, or even wal mart brand if you want. It’s all the same, the only difference will be the detergents added. I run seafoam through before ea oil change regardless and change at 3k mi

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
For those of you that replaced filter how tight did you tighten it? I got to point where it makes clicking sound.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RubenZ

2018 Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar:

24 mm socket for oil filter housing cap (18 ft/lb torque)

13 mm socket for oil drain plug (20 ft/lb torque)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Wow - what an entertaining thread! I change my own oil and I'll tell you why. Once upon a time I had a little Nissan Frontier 4x4. The little truck had like a 3 quart oil pan. I took it to one of those quickie oil places. Oil change in 30 minutes - riiiiiiight, I was the second vehicle in line. It took 2 and a half hours! And get this: I had to go out twice and tell my oil change expert what oil I wanted since I saw he had the wrong bottles beside my truck. Then, they charged for "4x4" extra 10 bucks to remove 5 screws over the plastic skid plate, 5 dollars used oil fee (remember I have 3 quart pan) and for grease on fittings - that one I called BS since the fittings were sealed and they argued but agreed to remove it. Altogether it was about $50 and 2.5 hours of my time - and remember this was 2001!
I relented once when I had a VW GTI and it looked like a soup sandwich under the car, so I went and had the oil change - friggin close to 85 dollars. Then I watched a youtube video, bought a couple funky sockets and did my own oil change on that. GTI's are nice but damn that overly complicated-engineered german car crap!
Guys/Gals - the Jeep has to be one of the easier vehicles to do your own oil/filter changes on. The WORST I had was a 83 Chevy S-10 with the 2.8, anybody remember those? You had to lift the front end and wiggle through the fender around the tire to get to the oil filter and heaven help you if it crushed and you had to chisel it off....been there, done that.
Glad to know it’s very easy to do. That way, it won’t be an issue if I have someone else do it so I don’t have to deal with the mess and getting rid of the oil and rags. Or, maybe I will do it sometimes. Either way, since it’s easy to do, it makes sense to either do it or pay a small amount to have it done by someone else.

OH Bandit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Bronco, 23 Jeep JT Willys
Add me to the list. Went in today and checked the receipt and it said 6 Quarts. I checked the stick and showed the service tech it was too high, but they kept arguing with me that it was perfect. Even the service manager looked and said it was perfect. Got tired and went home and drained an extra quart out and it is now at the top of the fill line.

Jeep has a real problem with this.

Qu1nt

First Name
Quint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl sport s unlimited, 2001 Ford Ranger
don't you get 2 free oil changes per year with the "jeep wave" program?
Yes I currently got mine 1 month ago and my membership last for two years and I get 4 free oil changes and tire rotations.
Sponsored