Cookiedawg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I just noticed last week that my freedom panels when stored in the bag will not fit in the cargo area with the slipstream installed if I want them to lay down in the floor rather than standing them strait up which causes you to have poor rear visibility. Very disappointing when I am not at home and want to remove them on the go.

However I figured out if your remove the bottom pins of the back panel and let it hinge at the top and you lift the bag over top of the hinge on the door it will close. Very tight fit but it will work.

Thought I would pass this along in case anyone else runs into this issue.
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Put the Soft top on this weekend while at it I took off the tie down rails and cut them back to 22.5" and re applied the edge trim. They were easy to cut down with a hacksaw and dremel to round and smooth edges. then used some self etching primer, black paint and a artist paint brush to paint the edges you would never know it was cut. This gives plenty of leeway for the soft top.

with reports and concerns of wear on the soft top where it is in contact with the slipstream I ordered self adhesive 1/4 neoprene pads and stuck them to the slipstream under the corners where the top meets the metal, this provide a nice cushy resting place for the top with no chance of damaging the soft top.

Pictured below 22" cut down rails
Slip%20mod%205_zpsbimzt2lr.jpg

1/4" Neoprene padding for soft top at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07483R2GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

slip%20mod%203_zpsedntu5ry.jpg

Slip%20mod%204_zpsjxygqgxq.jpg

slip%20mod%201_zpswlha86sy.jpg

Last edited:

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
I just noticed last week that my freedom panels when stored in the bag will not fit in the cargo area with the slipstream installed if I want them to lay down in the floor rather than standing them strait up which causes you to have poor rear visibility. Very disappointing when I am not at home and want to remove them on the go.

However I figured out if your remove the bottom pins of the back panel and let it hinge at the top and you lift the bag over top of the hinge on the door it will close. Very tight fit but it will work.

Thought I would pass this along in case anyone else runs into this issue.
Ugh!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I ran my Slipstream with my hardtop since Nov, for me I do not see value in the slipstream with a hard top, freedom tops are problematic to store without damage without the slipstream, If you plan to remove your tops consider leaving the slipstream lid and wall at home and put the tops in the back, if you need to secure your rig put your tops on it only takes a couple minutes.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
A little Slipstream mod. Added 1/4" longer bolt and cut down a 1" long 3/8" spring to the pivot on the little wire hatch. Now it pivots out if the way without leaving it loose to rattle. I can't figure out how to upload the video, but you'll get the idea.

IMG_20190428_131012079.jpg

IMG_20190428_131326712.jpg

IMG_20190428_132824755.jpg

IMG_20190428_133529551.jpg

Sponsored

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
I ran my Slipstream with my hardtop since Nov, for me I do not see value in the slipstream with a hard top, freedom tops are problematic to store without damage without the slipstream, If you plan to remove your tops consider leaving the slipstream lid and wall at home and put the tops in the back, if you need to secure your rig put your tops on it only takes a couple minutes.
And the top sat down ok even though it is made uneven?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
And the top sat down ok even though it is made uneven?
If you look at the pictures the corned of the top sit evenly on the neoprene pads.

you can see here the two corners on the pads and the gap in between so the top is supported by the corners that now rest on the soft neoprene

top%20down%20slip%202_zps5xstxfni.jpg

view from inside

top%20down%20slip%203_zpswyqyqq8g.jpg

top%20down%20slip_zpsqsidceuq.jpg

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I just installed my Slipstream the other day and haven't had a chance to really play around with things. Today I thought I'd see how I'll carry my top panels while still using the Slipstream. I'm most likely going to be always using the security enclosure, so removing panels from it isn't an option for me.

Using the OEM bag, some clips and Husky Hangalls I may have found a solution? I'm most likely going to be not doing this if I have passengers. The bag hangs from the corners but it's "looming" over the back seat. The bottom of the bag also sort of rests on the glass.

I first load them into the bad as it rests on the Slipstream. Then I flip it around and clip it into place.

IMG_20190429_122509.jpg

IMG_20190429_122826.jpg

IMG_20190429_123640.jpg

IMG_20190429_123710.jpg

IMG_20190429_123724.jpg

IMG_20190429_123830.jpg

IMG_20190429_123856.jpg

View attachment 174705

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

BaconIsAFruit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I want this product but I can't accept the extra work to get it to play nice with the soft top when it costs $700.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I want this product but I can't accept the extra work to get it to play nice with the soft top when it costs $700.
What extra work? I only added the neoprene pad (couple bucks at amazon and 5 min to install) AS for the rails I understand they are shipping with shorter rails now. Most people use it as is with no problem whereas I simply added some extra protection. If you want security your options are limited either the Tuffy Box or Slipstream, whereas the Tuffy box is not very attractive, does not breakdown easy for hauling larger items, and leaves the sides as wasted space. Granted Tuffy is $250 less it is still just a box bolted to the floor.

By the way there are many reports of soft top wear damage issues when open even without a slipstream installed. Having the slipstream with minor added cushioning allowed me to protect my soft top.

Sponsored

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
What extra work? I only added the neoprene pad (couple bucks at amazon and 5 min to install) AS for the rails I understand they are shipping with shorter rails now. Most people use it as is with no problem whereas I simply added some extra protection. If you want security your options are limited either the Tuffy Box or Slipstream, whereas the Tuffy box is not very attractive, does not breakdown easy for hauling larger items, and leaves the sides as wasted space. Granted Tuffy is $250 less it is still just a box bolted to the floor.

By the way there are many reports of soft top wear damage issues when open even without a slipstream installed. Having the slipstream with minor added cushioning allowed me to protect my soft top.
Has it been confirmed that it's shipping with shorter rails? I don't see any mention of that on the website and it still specifically says the soft top will not lock in the retracted position.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Has it been confirmed that it's shipping with shorter rails? I don't see any mention of that on the website and it still specifically says the soft top will not lock in the retracted position.

Even with the shorter rails the top does not lock, in fact even without the slipstream installed many are saying they cannot get their tops to lock anyway, I also just read that some were having failure issues with the lock (kike getting stuck in the locked position, and then the lock breaking. I have no faith in the lock whereas two velcro straps around the top and you are as good as locked. There have also been issues when locked pinching and creating holes in the top since it compresses everything do much, so the locking function is flawed to begin with. The shorter rails only make it so the top does not rest on the rails however with the rubber door edging on the rail again a non issue.

Email or call Alan at Diabolical he can confirm the current rail length. Hurry I think the sale goes off tomorrow

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
Alan just confirmed that the shorter tie down rails are being shipped with all JLU kits. It allows the soft top to sit flat on the slipstream, but does not address the soft top locking since the locking mechanism sits below the level of the body tub of the Jeep. Next week they will be listing a soft top cover wrap to hold the soft top panels together and which will use the slipstream tie down rails.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Alan just confirmed that the shorter tie down rails are being shipped with all JLU kits. It allows the soft top to sit flat on the slipstream, but does not address the soft top locking since the locking mechanism sits below the level of the body tub of the Jeep. Next week they will be listing a soft top cover wrap to hold the soft top panels together and which will use the slipstream tie down rails.

Note the soft top does not sit flat on the slipstream only the outside corners are in contact with the slipstream that is the location where I added the neoprene pads (pictured below).

top%20down%20slip_zpsqsidceuq.jpg

top%20down%20slip%203_zpswyqyqq8g.jpg

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
So what about pre-existing customers? are they shipping the shorter tie down rails to everyone or just new customers??
Sponsored