Sponsored

Bought JLUS 2 months ago, now want a Rubicon instead....

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
So the wife and I bought a Sport 2 months ago, and now we definitely want a Rubicon instead. I know we’re screwed trading in our recent purchase, but would it be best to do it now or wait a year? I say a year because that’s the longest we’re willing to wait. Who’s done this and how did it go?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So the wife and I bought a Sport 2 months ago, and now we definitely want a Rubicon instead. I know we’re screwed trading in our recent purchase, but would it be best to do it now or wait a year? I say a year because that’s the longest we’re willing to wait. Who’s done this and how did it go?
You have my utmost condolences, I was in the exact same dilemma with my Sahara after purchase. And found myself in a very awkward situation, financially as well. Definitely not a situation I wished anyone to be stuck in. I initially bought my Sahara for “snowy roads” driving, but I also found that the more I frequent this forum the more I wanted to go off-road and more willing to take on wilder adventures, and felt that at certain point my Sahara will not be enough.

Luckily I was able to talk myself out of it by believing that Selec-Trac was somewhat of a useful “feature” to have.

Which is true... I think deep down, seeking self comfort, I only wanted Rubicon because it was a Rubicon, not that it would transform my life dramatically or anything.

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase

If you got a year, spend some time to find the best deal on the Rubicon you want. Negotiate the sale price without any other factors like trade in or loans. Minimize your loss. If you could afford it, do it. You'll love the Rubicon .

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why would you wait? The value will continue to go down. You will be a year older and you'll have one year less of enjoying what you want. Life's short. Live in the present.

On the other hand....
This could be a big opportunity to build a Rubicon slayer. A couple air locker Dana 44s or even 60s and some huge tires. (first thing half the Rubicon owners on this forum do is chuck the stock tires, rails, bumpers and suspension and have to re-gear both axles). That pretty much just leaves the transfer case and electric swaybar disconnect of the main Rubicon features. The transfer case you can change to a Rubicon or an Atlas. Tell me you have the V6.

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
If your not rock climbing why change?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain! While I did get the Rubicon I compromised on some of the packages and have almost considered trading to get those packages (but She Who Must Be Obeyed would disown me). She DID support the Rubicon in the first place (and tries to steal her away from me every chance she gets ;)) so I have learned to be content with the awesome Jeep we do have.

I realize there would be financial benefits to waiting, but if you have the means and desire do it sooner rather than later. Take out your frustrations on the adventures you and the Jeep will be enjoying together!

But then again I'm an instant gratifications kind of person and that hasn't always worked out for the best... :facepalm: But in this case I vote go for it!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Why would you wait? The value will continue to go down. You will be a year older and you'll have one year less of enjoying what you want. Life's short. Live in the present.

On the other hand....
This could be a big opportunity to build a Rubicon slayer. A couple air locker Dana 44s or even 60s and some huge tires. (first thing half the Rubicon owners on this forum do is chuck the stock tires, rails, bumpers and suspension and have to re-gear both axles). That pretty much just leaves the transfer case and electric swaybar disconnect of the main Rubicon features. The transfer case you can change to a Rubicon or an Atlas. Tell me you have the V6.
Also with the 8 speed automatic, if you are not crawling you don't really need the Rubicon T-case, the higher geared one does just fine for what the majority of people will do in their Jeeps. For my purposes out in the desert, the sport T-case is actually better.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I was in a similar situation with my 2014 JKUS, but I kept it for over 4 years. I ended up trading it on a 2018 JLUR and got nearly $28,000 for it(softens the blow on a $50K purchase). I think that's excellent value retention for a 4.5 year old vehicle that I paid about $35,000.
I would keep the Sport for at least a few years and trade it on a Rubi; if you still think you need/want one, after that time.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Why do you want a Rubicon instead? Capability? Looks? Options not available with the Sport/Sport S? No wrong answer here, but may help you make a decision.

You could shop around, but you may be able buy a lift/wheels/tires with the money you might lose on trading yours in. So, for your same amount of money, your choice may be a Rubicon, or yours+upgrades.

If you are still set on getting a Rubicon, might as well wait to see what the 2020s may have, since you aren't in a rush.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Take it to the dealer and see how bad a hit it’ll be. If to much, just build your sport like a rubicon but with Rubi takeoffs or superior parts. You might be surprised how much you can do with the hit a dealers going to give you

Brett

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I agree with the above:

#1 - why do you ant a Rubicon?

#2 - talk to the dealer and see the numbers

The answers to those 2 will pave the way... or unpave them since we're talking jeeps ;)

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Look for rubi takeoff parts on the forum, Craigslist, FB marketplace and other Jeep forums. You can build a good clone for pennies while increasing the value of your sport. Then put it up for sale in a couple months and you might turn a profit.

OP
OP
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
You have my utmost condolences, I was in the exact same dilemma with my Sahara after purchase. And found myself in a very awkward situation, financially as well. Definitely not a situation I wished anyone to be stuck in.

Luckily I was able to talk myself out of it by believing that Selec-Trac was somewhat of a useful “feature” to have.

Which is true... I think deep down, seeking self comfort, I only wanted Rubicon because it was a Rubicon, not that it would transform my life dramatically or anything.
Glad you worked it out with yourself. I want the Rubicon for more reasons than just wanting one for the name...
Sponsored