Sponsored

Wheelbase...Will it Change in the JLU or JL?

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
JL will probably stay same but get wider
JLU wider and also slightly longer than JKU

That's my prediction.
Curious why you think the JLU will increase but not JL. i would think both will if either of them do.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Curious why you think the JLU will increase but not JL. i would think both will if either of them do.
Because engineers at FCA know the true off road enthusiasts mostly choose 2dr for breakover angle, and soccer moms and SUV bros choose 4dr. So no real loss in extending the JLU wheelbase slightly to make driver and passengers more comfortable, and make ride more comfortable. But wouldn't dare p!ss off the true off roaders, since other firms have competitors to wrangler in the works.

What did you think ?

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Because engineers at FCA know the true off road enthusiasts mostly choose 2dr for breakover angle, and soccer moms and SUV bros choose 4dr. So no real loss in extending the JLU wheelbase slightly to make driver and passengers more comfortable, and make ride more comfortable. But wouldn't dare p!ss off the true off roaders, since other firms have competitors to wrangler in the works.

What did you think ?
While it's true that soccer moms and SUV bros will most likely choose the 4 door over the 2 door, saying that off-road enthusiasts will be more likely to choose the 2 door is far fetched. Have you ever been to King of the Hammers? I was there last year and 95% of the Jeep JK's I saw there were 4 doors. And KOH is home to some of the toughest trails in America. The JKU has the same if not better offroad capabilities as the JK, looks better, and is far more practical and comfortable. I say if you want a 2 door then buy a TJ or YJ.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
While it's true that soccer moms and SUV bros will most likely choose the 4 door over the 2 door, saying that off-road enthusiasts will be more likely to choose the 2 door is far fetched. Have you ever been to King of the Hammers? I was there last year and 95% of the Jeep JK's I saw there were 4 doors. And KOH is home to some of the toughest trails in America. The JKU has the same if not better offroad capabilities as the JK, looks better, and is far more practical and comfortable. I say if you want a 2 door then buy a TJ or YJ.
Oh don't get me wrong, I am only scoping the JLU, preferably electric or diesel with the sunroof panels and lightweight quick release powerless doors, and power mirrors on the A-pillar

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, LOTS of JKU's at Moab when I went a couple years ago. I chose one because I have a bunch of kids, but the JKU wheelbase is both an advantage and disadvantage. Breakover angle is less, but the longer wheelbase helps with hill climbs and wheel travel is more useful, given the same amount of travel. The JKU also rides better, especially over road joints which can play havoc with the 2 door. The 2 door obviously is more nimble and lighter weight. I've had both, and I can tell you I love both. However, if kids are not a factor, I'd still go with the JKU for many reasons, not just off road.

That said, I'm glad they didn't axe the 2 door. It is really the quintessential Jeep. A Wrangler wouldn't be a Jeep without the existence of the 2 door, IMO. I wish I had enough $$ to have both a 2 and 4 door, for different situations.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Oh don't get me wrong, I am only scoping the JLU, preferably electric or diesel with the sunroof panels and lightweight quick release powerless doors, and power mirrors on the A-pillar
One thing I'd LOVE to have would be a sport bar that is separate, but integrated with, the windshield frame in a way that allows simple folding of the windshield. It is just too much of a pain with the JKU to fold it down. Also, I'm planning on the soft top, but if the hard top has see through panels, it will be tempting. I'd really love to see a soft top you could see through! I also hope they don't screw up the powerful heater. Every Jeep I've owned has had a blast furnace for a heater, which really negates the need for heated seats or steering wheels. My JKU heater starts blowing warm air after only a few hundred yards of driving. Its the best winter vehicle I've ever had, with only the YJ competing with it.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Also, I'm planning on the soft top, but if the hard top has see through panels, it will be tempting. I'd really love to see a soft top you could see through!
i cannot overemphasize how much their sales will skyrocket with panoramic-panel soft top and matching-color fabric soft doors, on entry level models, for young people. The weight savings with soft top and soft doors will increase MPG greatly, and decrease cost.

I myself would prefer a panoramic hard top, but if it's not got the panels which are stowable in cargo area to take with, and they do offer a pano-panel soft top, I'll go with that.

Make it happen, Milous !

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.

What did you think ?
True off-road enthusiasts are going to get whatever works best for their needs. The only people I know getting 2dr JKs are kids and/or young folks with no kids, or older folks whose kids are grown and moved out. Everyone else is getting 4drs. And with the growing popularity of overlanding even kidless folks are getting the 4dr model simply for the additional cargo/gear capacity. Go out west (or get on social media) and pretty much all the 'big dogs' are JKUs, not 2drs.

Anyway, I believe that the JL and JLU will both increase in length/wheelbase by the same amount, since we already know that all or most of the additional length is in the hood and cowl, not in the rear of the vehicle, and the JL and JLU are identical from the front seats forward.
Sponsored