Sponsored

Wiring Halo DRL / Amber Turn Switchbacks, Fender LED DRL / Switchbacks on JL Sport

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
First off, big shout-out to Rhinebeck01 & American Jeeper for their help & tips!

This DIY setup will allow you to run full time DRLs w/ active turn signal switchbacks on your headlights/fenders on a JL Sport. This will allow you to use your auto-headlight function full time, so no need to switch your parking light on & off to activate DRLs.

I used (and HIGHLY recommend) Oracle Led Fender Switchbacks (thanks American Jeeper!), these can be found at Oracles site or a bit cheaper from Vividracing.com or horsepowerfreaks.com These switchbacks have CANBUS circuitry built in and WILL NOT hyperflash or show a bulb-out display. They are plenty bright in the white and even brighter for the amber turn light. https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...switchback-high-output-can-bus-led-bulbs-pair

If you want to gamble on cheaper ebay bulbs be sure they are 7443 CK bulbs, they must have the CK socket, regular 7443 bulbs are the wrong polarity. And all that I've seen will require an extra resistor wired in so you won't hyperflash. By the time you add that cost into it you're spending as much as the Oracles for an inferior product, so just a heads-up on that!

NO FENDER REMOVAL NEEDED, just remove the one plug clip on the front inner fender and the 10mm bolt further back in the fender liner. A counter clockwise turn to remove bulb socket and PRESTO!

I have the Sii Turbo split-halo LED headlights w/ SUP-light adapter mounts. The mounts come w/ the JL to JK wiring harness adapter and the lights come w/ the 3 pin adapter and the CANBUS anti-flicker adapter. Luckily there's plenty of room behind the lights because you MUST use all three adapter harnesses.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781MXXXD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS7769Q

You must source a 12v fuse that's not being used, fuse #57 is a common choice, this is for heated seats, so if you do have heated seats you'll have to find another place to tap or be sure that both fuses are in the tap socket.

Micro Fuse tap, comes with two taps and 4 fuses, nice set.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ

You will use this 12v source to run into your DRL wire on your headlights (you will run wire down passenger side, tap to passenger DRL, run behind grill in front upper radiator area over to drivers side DRL) and splice off that wire to the white/brown wire on each fender bulb. You will cut the white/brown wire about 2" from the fender bulb socket (put a dead splice on the end going back to the fuse box) and butt splice into that wire.

For your turn signal you will use a T-Tap (best to keep it easy & waterproof) into the White/Green wire, again, about 2" up from bulb socket, you WILL NOT cut this wire, just tap into it. This will go to your Amber halo wire for turn signal switchback function on your headlight halo, mine was a yellow wire from headlight harness (if equipped)

You can run both wires from the fender into the engine bay through that hole in the fender liner, just shine a flashlight through that hole and you'll see how it can thread through. I taped the wires to the end of a long screwdriver and pushed it through that hole to route them through. You then push the wires through the fender liner so you can reach up behind the liner and get them back down to where the socket is. Hope that makes sense :)

100_4077.JPG

100_4076.JPG

I didn't do it since the DRLs are dominated by the headlights, so leaving them on all the time is no biggie, but if you want to be able to switch your DRLs off you can add one of these switches between the fuse tap & your DRLs and mount it in an area below your steering wheel in that extra room on one of the plastic panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B86Z94

And the final video, going from Ignition ON w/ auto-light function (Engine running OR not running), then turn signals, then flashers, then auto-light off but headlights on, then wipers just because I was grasping for anything at that point, lol. Any questions just post up here.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reactions: zyt

rgill

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Very detailed for adding DRL to Sport. Thanks!

Since the front parking lights are going to disconnected from the stock circuit and now connected to the new fuse tap circuit, does that cause the computer to throw an error ? It’s just like your parking light bulbs go out.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, no error codes, everything is normal. And NO Hyperflashing in the cabin. I highly recommend the Oracle Fender DRLs, and those new LED tail lights, too, both are performing well.

Sponsored

rgill

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Thanks for your response, I have the DRL bulbs as you recommended. Below is the exact link.

https://www.oraclelights.com/produc...switchback-high-output-can-bus-led-bulbs-pair

I have 2018 Sport JL. I love the Amber turn signals, very nice and bright.

I don’t have Halo rings that I can use for DRL and I want to use white part of the Oracle switchbacks for DRL.

My question is if I disconnect the factory circuit for front parking bulbs (to be used as DRL) and use the newly tapped circuit for powering up white part of the bulbs, will I see any error codes ?

My thought is that Jeep computer could throw error if it doesn’t see the bulbs in the circuit.

Thanks

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, you won't see any errors wiring it that way (using fuse 57 like I did), it will show a "bulb out" on the display screen if you were to use a non-CANBUS Turn Signal Bulb (if it doesn't have a resistor), but the Oracle LED circuitry keeps it running as stock :)

I was worried that I would get a bulb-out display by bypassing the stock side marker wire but no, it's just fine! If you wire it as I did you'll be golden :)

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions for another fuse to use since I have heated seats? My Sport is still in it's virgin state, which will change soon enough...

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
If I did not want to wire them up to be DRLs whenever the Jeep is on and just wanted them to work as switchback marker lights, could I get away not messing with the fuse? Or do you think I would have to regardless? Awesome write up! Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any suggestions for another fuse to use since I have heated seats? My Sport is still in it's virgin state, which will change soon enough...
You can still use fuse 57, you will have the original fuse for your heated seats in the "primary" slot in the fuse tap and the new DRL fuse in the extra slot on the tap. The tap comes w/ instructions (and 4 fuses) on which slot is which.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If I did not want to wire them up to be DRLs whenever the Jeep is on and just wanted them to work as switchback marker lights, could I get away not messing with the fuse? Or do you think I would have to regardless? Awesome write up! Thank you!
Yes, if you get just the turn signal/switchbacks and only want the fenders lit when the lights are on you don't need any additional wiring, turns into just a 10 minute install :)

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
Yes, if you get just the turn signal/switchbacks and only want the fenders lit when the lights are on you don't need any additional wiring, turns into just a 10 minute install :)
Awesome! I'll have to snag a pair of these and some LED replacement headlights bulbs from them then!:clap:

Josh903

First Name
Josue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
What would I have to do if I just wanted the turn signal switchback bulbs to act as DRLs without the headlights having DRL function since I want to keep factory headlight? I'm not sure what parts of your directions to change or omit to achieve this.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What would I have to do if I just wanted the turn signal switchback bulbs to act as DRLs without the headlights having DRL function since I want to keep factory headlight? I'm not sure what parts of your directions to change or omit to achieve this.
Run fuse 57 setup as is except bypass headlights altogether, just that 57 wire to both fender lights (white wire w/ brown stripe, this is the wire you cut and replace w/ new 57 wire). This will keep the DRL function lit when the ignition is on and you can still use your auto light function on the dial.
Sponsored