Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So. The law says complete stop. Not "few inches". While I'm not going to say crap about a rolling stop, we both know there are some officers out there who would.

For the record, I do a complete stop each time. I have the advantage of having a manual, however, and don't have to worry about ESS shutting me down.
North Carolina statutes do not define complete stop.

"When a stop sign has been erected or installed at an intersection, it shall be unlawful for the driver of any vehicle to fail to stop in obedience thereto and yield the right-of-way to vehicles operating on the designated main-traveled or through highway.  When stop signs have been erected at three or more entrances to an intersection, the driver, after stopping in obedience thereto, may proceed with caution."

This is what I do, I stop, yield the right of way and proceed when it is safe. If I happen to move a few inches this law is not broken. I don't just drive through though.
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
North Carolina statutes do not define complete stop.

"When a stop sign has been erected or installed at an intersection, it shall be unlawful for the driver of any vehicle to fail to stop in obedience thereto and yield the right-of-way to vehicles operating on the designated main-traveled or through highway.  When stop signs have been erected at three or more entrances to an intersection, the driver, after stopping in obedience thereto, may proceed with caution."

This is what I do, I stop, yield the right of way and proceed when it is safe. If I happen to move a few inches this law is not broken. I don't just drive through though.
That's kind of a nice little loophole there hahaha

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
They want $150 for a device that turns on or off the ESS and it's not pricey? That is the definition of overpriced. That is waaaaay to much. I'd expect something like that to go for $50-$75 at the most.
No kidding, more maddening is that you have to pay anything for it. At least with the tazer you get a bunch of other functions that are really pretty cool.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I have never had this happen. How long does it take you to put the gear shift in park? I pull into my garage stop, shift to park, press the stop button. ESS never has time to shut down the engine.

Maybe since I am slowly pulling into a garage I am not using heavy enough pedal pressure to make it activate. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If I fail to turn ESS off the jeep shuts down each and every time(s) I put it in the garage. The difference MIGHT be that you just drive in and done. Whereas I drive in and maneuver at bit to keep my jeep as far from the wife's car as possible so I dont kill her for wildly swinging her door open into my jeep. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
That's kind of a nice little loophole there hahaha
you need loop holes with ESS. You also need $150 workarounds, an extra HIDDEN battery to replace, a button to remember to push or not, tons of failure points. But you do save 3 to 10% of gas if you non-stop city drive in you bad arse 4x4 jeep. LOL

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you need loop holes with ESS. You also need $150 workarounds, an extra HIDDEN battery to replace, a button to remember to push or not, tons of failure points. But you do save 3 to 10% of gas if you non-stop city drive in you bad arse 4x4 jeep. LOL
Actually, the loophole was in reference to something else LOL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
They want $150 for a device that turns on or off the ESS and it's not pricey? That is the definition of overpriced. That is waaaaay to much. I'd expect something like that to go for $50-$75 at the most.
@Onyx Dragon

Always irks me... sickens me, when people spew pure crapola. What purpose does it serve.. ?

Anyway, the SmartStopStart is friggin $129.95. If you pm SmartStopStart, they may even give you a few $ off that.

ALSO, as mentioned, and as known, you can sell the friggin thing here or on Craigslist after you sell your JL someday.

You will probably get back about 75% of what you paid for the SmartStopStart.... SO, in the end you got to have... to benefit from the SmartStopStart for what... $50 or so....

IF you can't afford it then press the friggin button and stop whining...

By the way, you can't get shit for $75 electronics wise these days.... who you kidding...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah really, buy a $50,000 Wrangler and worry about a $129 piece of add on electronics costing too much which I might add has worked for me flawlessly.
@nvabill

Yup ..... and after you sell the SSS in the future, you will have in the end, spent, what $50 to use the SSS for a few years..

As for my earlier post ......this condescending old prick was venting.. I just get pissed when people post miss-information. I refrain from posting utter bullchitt, pure crapola, in order to make a point. I just spew accurate info.. I don't intentionally post crapola...

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Onyx Dragon

Always irks me... sickens me, when people spew pure crapola. What purpose does it serve.. ?

Anyway, the SmartStopStart is friggin $129.95. If you pm SmartStopStart, they may even give you a few $ off that.

ALSO, as mentioned, and as known, you can sell the friggin thing here or on Craigslist after you sell your JL someday.

You will probably get back about 75% of what you paid for the SmartStopStart.... SO, in the end you got to have... to benefit from the SmartStopStart for what... $50 or so....

IF you can't afford it then press the friggin button and stop whining...

By the way, you can't get shit for $75 electronics wise these days.... who you kidding...
So no facts have been stated by you. Pure crapola is paying $129 for a device that does what I can do with a button in my vehicle.

So let's say they give me another $10 off on that, and it's $119. Still waaaay to much.

Selling it on craigslist...there's no guarantee I'll get 75% back on what I sold. So that's just a guess on your part.

As for $75 electronics, you can. There are good deals all over the internet for electronics. Try doing a search.

You want bang for the buck? I purchased a supercharger pulley for my supercharged Grand Prix when I had it. It was a WHOPPING $50 and netted me 30 horsepower. THAT is bang for the buck. Not having to push the ESS button each time I get in the vehicle for $129 (or even $119) is a joke, not a bargain.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Rolling Stops in NC: Everyone Does It But It’s Not Okay
Especially if you have a stick-shift, coming to a complete stop is a bummer. Here’s the deal with where North Carolina is on rolling through stop signs:
Still Illegal, So Don’t Do It
A fine of $100 and three points on your traffic record will have you babbling to a police officer about how you didn’t see it, looked both ways, normally ALWAYS stop (hehe), and will never do it again (hah!).
You and the officer both know that’s not true so we’re telling you right now: the fine is $100 and three traffic points will go on your record. Twelve points within three years will get your license suspended in North Carolina.
Take the hit, bro
Accept that you’re going to stop so fully, you could be zero degrees Kelvin (that’s a science joke for you nerds out there). Your MPG is going straight to the floor.
Guess what? It saves lives. It’s what you’re supposed to do. You don’t get a gold star for recognizing a traffic sign that every schoolchild knows.
If you have a hybrid car, take solace in the wonder of regenerative braking. If you have an electric car, take advantage of your superiority in acceleration compared to a gas vehicle.
What is this from?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So no facts have been stated by you. Pure crapola is paying $129 for a device that does what I can do with a button in my vehicle.

So let's say they give me another $10 off on that, and it's $119. Still waaaay to much.

Selling it on craigslist...there's no guarantee I'll get 75% back on what I sold. So that's just a guess on your part.

As for $75 electronics, you can. There are good deals all over the internet for electronics. Try doing a search.

You want bang for the buck? I purchased a supercharger pulley for my supercharged Grand Prix when I had it. It was a WHOPPING $50 and netted me 30 horsepower. THAT is bang for the buck. Not having to push the ESS button each time I get in the vehicle for $129 (or even $119) is a joke, not a bargain.

:puke:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yeah really, buy a $50,000 Wrangler and worry about a $129 piece of add on electronics costing too much which I might add has worked for me flawlessly.
Or look at it the other way. 129-150 bucks for a vehicle that costs that much for such a useless feature is kind a silly too.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

I think it sucks to have to buy something else to rid ourselves of stupidity but since that is the hand that's dealt me I bought a tazer. JUST for the ESSS (First S stands for stupid). I think there are other ways to disable ESSS but the dash lights go on. If that doesnt bother you check into it.

BTW the Tazer has some other really cool features that make the 329 pain go away and even be glad you have the ESSS otherwise I never would have known about the product. LOL

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought you’d like it, some article I found online. :)
Yes it looks like some angry blogger with the big bold letters. I've done gone through stop signs right in front of police officers and have yet to get pulled over for moving a few inches. Now if I just mosied on through I fully expect to get pulled over.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I agree but I believe all manufacturers that have it are that way.
I didnt know that. So they are government mandated to automatically have it so that it stops without intervention with a button? If so it's not jeep that's stupid but yet another government F-up. That makes more sense. I thought it was more a CAFE standard that companys had to meet one way or another and they had some license in how to go about it.
Sponsored