Wrangler JL 2018
I would like to see how one turned out.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've done one on a JK and it was fine. With the bolt snapping stories of the JL, I think I would avoid it.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I've done one on a JK and it was fine. With the bolt snapping stories of the JL, I think I would avoid it.
Was there any noticeable gap between the frame and body or the bumpers?

Sponsored

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Here is a picture of the rear bumper gap. It was a bit more noticable above the Smitty Bilt side armor steps.

20170106_172922.jpg
Thanks for replying. I want a little bit more lift, but Not sure I can stack a spacer lift on the one I already have.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
8” Roam. Last weekend when I got in s bind I had a little bit of rubbing. I use it in the mud no rock crawling.
I definitely wouldn't add spacers to that. I'd assume the control arms and drive shafts are already at terrible angles. How does it handle at that height?

If you really want to go taller, I would say your only option is the body lift. However, you are already higher than any JL I'm aware of. I'm running a 3.5 inch kit and clear 40s with no issue.

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
I definitely wouldn't add spacers to that. I'd assume the control arms and drive shafts are already at terrible angles. How does it handle at that height?

If you really want to go taller, I would say your only option is the body lift. However, you are already higher than any JL I'm aware of. I'm running a 3.5 inch kit and clear 40s with no issue.
Yes sir you are correct about that and that’s kind of what I was thinking. It actually rides really well. Now you get on a road with lots ruts in it from all the 18wheelers and the wide tires 19.5” want to pull really bad. Bad thing is theirs a lot of crappy roads in Louisiana. I appreciate the help!

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
With the cost of a spacer lift. Why would u?
Sometimes you want to add a body lift because it keeps the drivetrain low and frame at a lower level and thus keeping the center of gravity lower instead of adding to the suspension. If your suspension is flexing well and is not the limiting factor in your flex, it can be very relevant to think about a body lift to prevent increasing the height of the center of mass/gravity more than it is already in the case where you're doing a lot of off-camber areas etc.

Another reason you can and sometimes its "better" to add a body lift on top of a suspension lift is if you want to change the angle of trust of your engine/tranny combination so that your rear driveshaft angle is better. For example, in the old days of the TJ, you'd install a body lift so that you could put lift blocks on the two front motor support mount to change the angle of the transmission pinion output shaft and lower it thus elimination possible driveshaft vibrations even further because if you are going with high suspension lift, sometimes, the driveshaft angle becomes your limiting factor even with a custom double cardan driveshaft and by changing the motor/tranny alignment angle, you fix that problem and thus, the need for a body lift.

Obviously, most applications would not require this, but considering a high level build and considering someone is doing mud running which usually require a lot of power, you want to ensure that your driveshaft is at its best angle and as such, I can see a use in this application if the goal is to change motor/tranny alignment. Or if one just wants to prevent tires rubbing because in mud bugging tires are usually spinning at higher speeds from rubbing because the rubbing could cause a wave of vibration during rotation that could easily break an axle especially if one's running Interco Boggers....;)...we use to call those tires axle shredders...;)

hopefully I didn't confuse people more...;)

Last edited:

Taurmini

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
1.25" body lift with Mopar 2" suspension lift.
Why I did it!!
Why 2 reasons 1- I wanted the gas tank away from the skid plate. Because I watched fellow Jeepster enter a puddle with the consistency of a chocolate milkshake hit a pointy rock puncturing his skid plate where the skid plate itself torn a little puncturing the fuel tank.
2- I will be putting 37x13.50r17 and Im trying to maximize the play while still being able to get into my garage.
By doing so with the two separate lifts I'm avoiding a rabbit hole of mods that I would need for a single higher suspension lift or body lift.
So I say do it but never more than 1.25" my Jeep Guru says I would increase the risk of body shift with 2" or more.
Sponsored