Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.)

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (2018), Honda Pilot Touring (2010), Ford C-Max SEL (2013)
Thank you @TTEChris for your detailed write-up. I am waiting for my steps to come in. I am a total newbie about all this car mechanics/electrical stuff so all this is new learning for me. I have a question about waterproofing the connections...how do you make it water proof such that in the event of water fording in the Jeep with the water splashing all over the steppers, will it hold up to that amount of water?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @TTEChris for your detailed write-up. I am waiting for my steps to come in. I am a total newbie about all this car mechanics/electrical stuff so all this is new learning for me. I have a question about waterproofing the connections...how do you make it water proof such that in the event of water fording in the Jeep with the water splashing all over the steppers, will it hold up to that amount of water?

Thank you.
I used shrink wrap and waterproof connectors.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you.
I also used marine grade shrink tubing and waterproof electrical connections that I soldered together with the wire like @Twistedfab mentioned.

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if I want to install the lights and deal with all the electrical work. I'm thinking of just installing the rails for now and then in the future, install the lights. Question: Is it possible to install the lights with the rails mounted on the Jeep or would I have to take them off and then do the wiring?

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if I want to install the lights and deal with all the electrical work. I'm thinking of just installing the rails for now and then in the future, install the lights. Question: Is it possible to install the lights with the rails mounted on the Jeep or would I have to take them off and then do the wiring?
It would be MUCH easier to wire them off the Jeep. Really once you have them mounted and the brackets aligned, it's only 6 bolts to remove them and set them on a table. If you have an impact gun they can be removed in less than 5 minutes.

AgentTML

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so it seems like an easy process to remove them. Thank you!

Sponsored

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
If you use locktite - which I think the roam guys recommend in their instructions - it might take a min to remove depending on your experience with the stuff.

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered my sliders. Looking to order a set on Onzium LED bolts. It seems that the 2019 version is now all IP68 rated, even the 1w aluminum ones based on their site. Any preference on with or without lenses? I was leaning towards the 3w stainless, but it seems the 1w is more then bright enough, and now that they are both IP68 rated, seem to be fine. So I will need to purchase 8 LED bolts, some terminal connectors, the solid state relay, do i need a fuse holder?

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport
I just wired mine with the steps on the Jeep. However, as others have suggested, it probably would have been easier to have taken the steps off. I did take the recommendation of making my own wiring harness. I followed these instructions and I'm very pleased with the outcome. Well worth the time and effort.

Last edited:

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I think you may have answered this but Im thinking of just getting a standard auto relay from the parts store and using that. With it being under the hood, would you hear the clicking all that much? Would this work or is it better to use the solid state relay?

Great write-up and am looking forward to trying this out.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I think you may have answered this but Im thinking of just getting a standard auto relay from the parts store and using that. With it being under the hood, would you hear the clicking all that much? Would this work or is it better to use the solid state relay?

Great write-up and am looking forward to trying this out.
I couldn't live with the sound...
It sounds like a bunch of angry locusts under the hood until the dimming stops. I'm also not sure how long the relay would last as it is cycling on/off very quickly until a steady voltage is achieved.
You could use one temporarily, but I would get the solid state relay long term.
Sponsored