Sponsored

LOL, My favorite convenience feature in my JL. Yours too?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
But you have a Jeep JL.........and that is a lot. Nothing to be ashamed of. The JL Sport is a superior Jeep to my previous Jeeps and superior to my TJ.
Sometimes......Less IS More ! If I could have ore ordered my JL Rubicon with Manual windows, Manuel mirrors ..I would have. Those two luxuries come at a $ cost.....that you rarely use.
I am simply getting old now and am able to throw $ getting a more capable Jeep. All my previous “sports” were more than good enough....they were great ! Enjoy the Ride...don’t dwell on conveniences.
Excellent point! As they say, what matters is how you use it.

I know guys who could clean lines in a stock Sport that hack drivers in a Rubicon couldn't do.

Having options doesn't make you a better person or a better driver.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I despise the BUC solely because our nanny state has mandated it.

It should ABSOLUTELY be an option for those who want it, but it should remain exactly that - an option.

I've intentionally been using my mirrors (remember when they used to teach things like that, along with weird things like actually checking your tire pressure?) and not looking at the screen.

Hell after backing CCLB trucks with no camera the JL is a breeze anyway....

Don't bother saying I'm a Luddite - you're wrong. I just know how to drive and I don't need my gubermint protecting me from myself. Again, if you WANT a BUC, you should have one! But it shouldn't be built into the cost of every '18+.

This slippery slope never ends and it will eventually lead us to only self-driving cars and Wall-E (fortunately not in my lifetime)

Last edited:

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not arguing that the SOT is pretty cool, but is it really that much different than having a soft top? If you flip the soft top back but leave the back windows in, you can open and close as needed within like 5 seconds. Sure you have to stop, get out and exert a little effort, but you still get open-air experience in front and rear seats. Pros and cons I suppose.
IMO - the short answer is yes.

I live in a cold climate where having defrost, rear glass, and a rear lift gate really matter to me.

I’ve had every top on CJs, TJs and JKs and there is nothing I love more than my SOT. Heck I even shut my top jumping on the highway.

For what it’s worth I didn’t want the option when shopping for my JL, however, the one I bought had every other feature exactly how I wanted my perfect for me JL. So glad I gave it a try.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

It should ABSOLUTELY be an option for those who want it, but it should remain exactly that - an option.

I've intentionally been using my mirrors (remember when they used to teach things like that, along with weird things like actually checking your tire pressure?) and not looking at the screen.

Hell after backing CCLB trucks with no camera the JL is a breeze anyway....

Don't bother saying I'm a Luddite - you're wrong. I just know how to drive and I don't need my gubermint protecting me from myself. Again, if you WANT a BUC, you should have one! But it shouldn't be built into the cost of every '18+.

This slippery slope never ends and it will eventually lead us to only self-driving cars and Wall-E (fortunately not in my lifetime)
While I agree on items like MC helmets and seat belts for adults (though each time you fly through a windshield and survive in a prolonged vegetative state, my insurance rates go up), the BUC is so you don't back over the neighbor's dog or your 5 year old that your wife thought you were watching while you thought she was watching her. I do agree it requires an adjustment in terms of skill (managing all of the mirrors, the left-to-right-to-left over-the-shoulder checks and the camera), but it's simply a safer system, not a nanny system. It just sees things you cannot, no matter how vigilant you're being. The BUC has a range of vision that no human being can duplicate. Pretty soon, all rear view mirrors will be camera based, or at least selectable/switchable, like the Range Rovers are. Not to mention the added benefit of activating it when hitching/towing and the addition of a front camera when off-roading and the tech becomes invaluable (except there is an actual price tag involved).

As a post-script, I simply cannot sit idly by and have you bad-mouth Wall-E. He had more heart than most people I know, and dedicated his existence (or was programmed to do so) to cleaning up our messes...

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
Under the apps, there is a travel link app. It has a weather link that over on the right you can click on radar and see the weather radar in your area, with your Jeep in the center of the map
Ok. Thanks. I haven't checked the apps out enough apparently.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Heated Steering Wheel
Amazingly one of the main reasons sold my JK and purchased a JL was the heated steering wheel. I have Raynaud's syndrome, basically in cool and cold weather my hands are alway uncomfortably cold because of blood flow problem in my hands.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
The proximity locks and push button start allowing me to leave the key in my pocket is awesome, except it's messing me up when I get in my other vehicles.

2nd place goes to heated steering which I thought was frivolous, but now I'm a believer and my hands are becoming sensitive. I'll be able to pursue a hand modelling career soon all because of my Rubicon :like:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... Again, if you WANT a BUC, you should have one! But it shouldn't be built into the cost of every '18+.

Not to worry it isn't your nanny "state" mandating BUC. That is a requirement per the Department Of Transportation. All new vehicles are to be equipped with them now (or maybe it was within then next year or two).

That said...
.... but it's simply a safer system, not a nanny system. It just sees things you cannot, no matter how vigilant you're being. The BUC has a range of vision that no human being can duplicate....
As noted, the BUC isn't a nanny system. It has no influence on any function of the vehicle or how you drive. There are no alerts or anything associated to it. You can completely ignore it if you so desire. All it is, is an added visual perspective. Call it an extra mirror if you want too, but it doesn't regulate you in any way.
Does it cost more? Sure, but so do airbags, and those have been mandated for decades. If you want a vehicle with no safety mandates, buy a horse. Saddle up and ride with no government involvement. Although, once you hook up a buggy to it, you're back to having DOT mandates, so make sure it's just a horse if you want to be unrestricted.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
The proximity locks and push button start allowing me to leave the key in my pocket is awesome, except it's messing me up when I get in my other vehicles.

2nd place goes to heated steering which I thought was frivolous, but now I'm a believer and my hands are becoming sensitive. I'll be able to pursue a hand modelling career soon all because of my Rubicon :like:
I have proximity in my RAM and it was part of the reason that we purchased the JL. Of course it still took me a couple of weeks to stop pulling the keys out when heading to the Jeep. But the back and forth was driving me crazy, it is hard to get keys out of your pocket after you are in the Jeep.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Not arguing that the SOT is pretty cool, but is it really that much different than having a soft top? If you flip the soft top back but leave the back windows in, you can open and close as needed within like 5 seconds. Sure you have to stop, get out and exert a little effort, but you still get open-air experience in front and rear seats. Pros and cons I suppose.
IMO - the short answer is yes.

I live in a cold climate where having defrost, rear glass, and a rear lift gate really matter to me.

I’ve had every top on CJs, TJs and JKs and there is nothing I love more than my SOT. Heck I even shut my top jumping on the highway.

For what it’s worth I didn’t want the option when shopping for my JL, however, the one I bought had every other feature exactly how I wanted my perfect for me JL. So glad I gave it a try.
The other thing I noticed when I first saw a Sky Touch was how much more secure it looked. Granted, if someone really wants something in your Jeep, they can find a way to break in. But a soft top looks like it could be a bigger target of opportunity since the soft top can be opened/cut easier than the sides of a hard top.

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
My wife really irritates me getting out of the cars. She piddles around and I always have to stand there, often in the rain, until she gets out of the car and shuts the door. Then I can push the button to lock the doors. Well now, with my JL Jeep I can get out and start walking around the Jeep and as she gets out and shuts the door, I can push the button on the rear door latch as I'm walking by. May not seem like a big deal, but after almost 50 years of driving her around it seems like a big deal
SO funny. This happens to me every time. Although not 50 years, still a common complaint. Yesterday in the rain. "what can you possibly be doing". Then of course she rarely fully shuts the door. Just SHUT the door it's not that hard. You know, Jeep doors taking a little more of a push to close from open. I just use the remote from the house door, like yesterday when it was pouring out. I feel for you dude!. .

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
My wife really irritates me getting out of the cars. She piddles around and I always have to stand there, often in the rain, until she gets out of the car and shuts the door. Then I can push the button to lock the doors. Well now, with my JL Jeep I can get out and start walking around the Jeep and as she gets out and shuts the door, I can push the button on the rear door latch as I'm walking by. May not seem like a big deal, but after almost 50 years of driving her around it seems like a big deal
My Favorite feature however, is the Automatic emergency braking. The other day, I was looking at a billboard and suddenly my Jeep suddenly stopped quickly, just behind a guy that suddenly slammed on his brakes to make a sudden left turn. It really saved us from rear ending this jerk. The Jeep made a loud beeping town and stopped itself. That was amazing to me.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Being able to go through the computers parameters and customizing everything to my taste.

1.). Eliminating the horn beep when locking, unlocking, and remote starting.
2.). Eliminating the daytime running lights on the fenders.

Now if I could just eliminate that annoying start/stop. :puke:

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Not to worry it isn't your nanny "state" mandating BUC. That is a requirement per the Department Of Transportation. All new vehicles are to be equipped with them now (or maybe it was within then next year or two).

That said...
As noted, the BUC isn't a nanny system. It has no influence on any function of the vehicle or how you drive. There are no alerts or anything associated to it. You can completely ignore it if you so desire. All it is, is an added visual perspective. Call it an extra mirror if you want too, but it doesn't regulate you in any way.
Does it cost more? Sure, but so do airbags, and those have been mandated for decades. If you want a vehicle with no safety mandates, buy a horse. Saddle up and ride with no government involvement. Although, once you hook up a buggy to it, you're back to having DOT mandates, so make sure it's just a horse if you want to be unrestricted.
And a horse is only ONE horsepower...

Keagan

First Name
Stephani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon, 2014 Z51 Corvette Convertible, 2013 Smart Fortwo
Vehicle Showcase
As Keagan is also my winter car here in New England... heated seats/heated steering wheel. Finally!!!
Sponsored