Any way to disable auto park?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
True, but you could also just buckle the belt without you in the Jeep then it won’t shift from neutral to park on its own. With that said, I bought a pair of these on eBay myself to have for the occasional car wash.

Question: would auto park be defeated if you left it in park, but put the transfer case in neutral?
Good point. I didn’t think of that. That’s the way you set up for flat tow, so I’d think that would work for what I want.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question: would auto park be defeated if you left it in park, but put the transfer case in neutral?
@ExitLeft

You can also leave the transfer case in neutral but this really is not necessary You'd want the transfer case in neutral if the distance was very long.

Anyway, buckle fastened or use the belt clip and your JL will not go into Auto Park and will move freely through the car wash.

@Jondrew

In your situation I would do the same. Easier to do then fooling with flat tow like approach. Simple is always/usually better. 8-)

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Auto-park is the WORST!! I hate this feature more than anything. Just installed my new winch and can't get in / out of the vehicle to check the line or leave it in N to reel it in. How the hell am I supposed to do this??

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Plug your seatbelt in, or use your transfer case for winching, not the tranny.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just use a basic seat belt extender in my F150. In my case I couldn't disable the alarm thru the normal channels because of a burnt out bulb in the instrument cluster.

The extender hardly extends much at all and I actually really like it 'cause I don't have to dig down so far to clip in. I'm 5'10"/160 so I don't exactly need an extender for the typical reasons

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Car-S...655735531?epid=8018885688&hash=item3d631b40eb

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I used to open the door sometimes when parallel parking to see how far off the road I am. Can't do that now. There are several times when backing I would want to open the door. It's an annoyance
Just plug in your seat belt.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Who wants to attach the seat belt everytime they just want to back up to a boat or trailer, or flip the Jeep around in the driveway so the teenagers can leave and go to town? And who wants to fool with a device that simulates a seatbelt and then have to swap it out everytime you need the real belt? That's just as much of a PITA as the AutoPark feature itself.

The real solution here is for a programming expert to find a way to disable the system in the computer so it doesn't activate at all and until that happens I'm going to continue to be ticked off at FCA over this. It's a stupid feature that is being forced upon Wrangler owners simply because two or three idiots out of hundreds of thousands didn't put their vehicle in park before getting out and going into the house. It's the nanny-state B.S. that really gets under my skin. Jeep Wrangler is supposed to be all about FREEDOM.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I’m sure you’ll spend more time complaining about this feature than you would waste plugging in your seatbelt for the niche scenarios where you feel the need to move around with your door open.

2019RUBI

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Camry, 2017 Camaro 2SS, 1990 Mustang, 2019 Rubi on order
So one scenario... lol That would take a little getting used to.
When offroad it's not at all uncommon for me to open the drivers door to see where a tire is at. Auto park seems like an answer to a question no one asked...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
When offroad it's not at all uncommon for me to open the drivers door to see where a tire is at. Auto park seems like an answer to a question no one asked...
Autopark is disabled when you're in 4 Low. I would think any situation where you would need to peek out of the door to see your tire positioning you would already be in 4 Low.

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I was backing my 2dr Rubicon automatic out of my driveway on my busy country road. Doors closed seat belt on. Now I'm out in the middle of the road trying to put it in D. The auto park engages and I'm stuck. A driver stopped by and we thought we could push the Jeep back into the driveway (tranny and transfer case both in neutral). To no avail. And of course traffic trying to get around me. Shut the Jeep off and restarted and was able to limp it back into the driveway. Tried again to move it and autostart engaged again. Looking in the owners manual I found there is a compartment just ahead of the shifter that has a loop you can grab and pull up and to the left. It disengages the park brake so the Jeep will drive again. I took it to the dealer and they flashed the transmission. So far no more issues. (you have to re-engage the park brake by movin that loop back to the right).
Very scary for a while out in that traffic.
Sponsored