Sponsored

Problem with Mopar Soft Top (little flap won't stay shut). Anyone else?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I hate to say this on this thread, but my "gripe" is on the other end of the spectrum. Those flaps (each side) cause me the most problems trying to get them out. I have a '19, might make a difference. I have a heck of a time on occasion trying to pull on the corner and getting it out of the channel, everything else seems to come out with little effort.
Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just installed the soft top and holy hell, what a b*tch job it was. The zippers on the JK were frustrating at times but the JL windows are 100x more frustrating. The D-pillar (is this the correct term?) won't even clip into the mount that you bolt above the taillight. The passenger side clipped right in so there seems to be some sort of manufacturer defect with the clip. Yet another trip to the dealer will be happening.

Not even looking forward to the day when it's nice enough to take the windows off....:(

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the soft top and holy hell, what a b*tch job it was. The zippers on the JK were frustrating at times but the JL windows are 100x more frustrating. The D-pillar (is this the correct term?) won't even clip into the mount that you bolt above the taillight. The passenger side clipped right in so there seems to be some sort of manufacturer defect with the clip. Yet another trip to the dealer will be happening.

Not even looking forward to the day when it's nice enough to take the windows off....:(
Wow it must be isolated as mine is easy as sh!t to take on and off.

Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wow it must be isolated as mine is easy as sh!t to take on and off.
Hopefully it's because it's still new and needs to be stretched out. The overall installation still took much longer compared to the JK.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully it's because it's still new and needs to be stretched out. The overall installation still took much longer compared to the JK.
You’re probably right.

It needs to heat up and stretch out.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Took mine to the dealer. They replaced something. It doesn’t pop out anymore.
That's because they put Gorilla Glue on the tab:angel: Seriously, I have noticed that since the weather is warmer, it doesn't seem to be popping out as much. That or I'm just totally oblivious to it now :like:

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

I don’t have nowhere those kind of problems but I do agree threading the windows onto those rods isn’t much of a time saver over starting a zipper.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That's because they put Gorilla Glue on the tab:angel: Seriously, I have noticed that since the weather is warmer, it doesn't seem to be popping out as much. That or I'm just totally oblivious to it now :like:
Brandy: if I'm getting your description in my head as described, wouldn't using gorilla glue on the tabs (i.e. the plastic pieces sewn into the back window on either side that are tucked in) make the back window (in fact all soft windows because they're dependent on back window removal first to be removed) a permanent install?

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Brandy: if I'm getting your description in my head as described, wouldn't using gorilla glue on the tabs (i.e. the plastic pieces sewn into the back window on either side that are tucked in) make the back window (in fact all soft windows because they're dependent on back window removal first to be removed) a permanent install?
:giggle: yeah I was just yanking his/her chain

NJRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yes, I have same issue with flaps popping out in back. I'm pretty sure there have been several other threads about this.

The other thing about the soft-top that drives me crazy is if you happen to exit the vehicle during heavy rain...they might as well route a drainage tube right into the cabin as soon as that door opens!

I also have a weird "groaning" noise that occurs over bumps or when there is any flex from the DS B-pillar area but the noise only happens with the soft top on. Hardtop on and it goes away. Between the look and these annoyances I'm planning on leaving hard top on this year.

islanderjeeper

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Apparently this is the new 2019 retainer system. I still have to make my call to Jeep wave to begin a case for this to force my local dealer to swap the 2018 back panel for the 2019 new one (pictured) which is a redesign.

255C3243-68AC-489F-957D-BA0D2B3C269C.jpeg

HPJEFF

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
I have the same problem, guess I'll either take it back to the dealer (big PITA), or I may try rubber tape or something like it to make it stay snug.