First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
We decided to take a trip up through Crazy Woman Canyon today. It was a beautiful drive. Temperatures in the mid to high 50’s. Part of the trail still had quite a bit of snow! Made it through it with no problems at all.

After driving through the canyon we decided to take one of the trails south to an outcrop of rocks to have a picnic. We got to this open area and came upon a snow drift that was probably about a hundred feet long. Didn’t think it was too deep to plow through it. I could have went around it, but decided to go ahead and drive through it at about 40 mph. Big mistake!

Made it about 70 feet when the Jeep busted through the upper crust of the snow. It wouldn’t budge at all. Of all the places to get stuck this one had no trees so we couldn’t use our winch. I put it in reverse, and without giving it any gas the front and rears wheels would spin at idle.

Luckily I did have my aluminum shovel with us. After about a hour and a half of digging I was able to dig out all the snow that the Jeep was resting on. The Harbor Freight blanket worked great for laying on in the snow! If only we would have made it another 5 feet or so we would have been able to drive all the way through it.

Even tho we got stuck, it still turned out to be a great day.

4FFCE320-1BD7-4DF3-87B0-5962E4B68843.jpeg

66E9E0E0-7D55-47A5-AEBD-0FF90D989DEE.jpeg

69FC77FD-5250-4CCA-B487-79B804EE1B2C.jpeg

B13241DA-4A5F-41FD-A8A1-350DFD44C2B4.jpeg

339C0FD8-6C25-4820-A093-69109E4195BE.jpeg
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I’ve been wheeling for about 15 years now. I still sometimes forget to not do unnecessary things. Shit happens. Glad you made it out ok.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Thats exactly how it happens....or has happened to me on a few occasions. The seemingly simple open field to cross...and then....it bogs down.....you give it a little more gas...but to no avail...and its stuck......YA..that quickly.

I know how you feel. Your not the first...you certainly won't be the last. Glad you were able to extricate yourself and no harm done. Its a Jeep thing. On my worst one....after about 5 minutes, there were waves of ocean water coming in the passenger door. Glad I got out of that one.

Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.

OP
OP
CanAmMick

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I’ve been wheeling for about 15 years now. I still sometimes forget to not do unnecessary things. Shit happens. Glad you made it out ok.
Never really thought about it that way, “I still sometimes forget to not do unnecessary things”.

When I got stuck, my wife just looked at me and said, “Why didn’t you just drive around it”. I told her it’s a Jeep and I didn’t think I would get stuck!

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Never really thought about it that way, “I still sometimes forget to not do unnecessary things”.

When I got stuck, my wife just looked at me and said, “Why didn’t you just drive around it”. I told her it’s a Jeep and I didn’t think I would get stuck!
I am picturing your wife's face and cracking up.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We decided to take a trip up through Crazy Woman Canyon today. It was a beautiful drive. Temperatures in the mid to high 50’s. Part of the trail still had quite a bit of snow! Made it through it with no problems at all.

After driving through the canyon we decided to take one of the trails south to an outcrop of rocks to have a picnic. We got to this open area and came upon a snow drift that was probably about a hundred feet long. Didn’t think it was too deep to plow through it. I could have went around it, but decided to go ahead and drive through it at about 40 mph. Big mistake!

Made it about 70 feet when the Jeep busted through the upper crust of the snow. It wouldn’t budge at all. Of all the places to get stuck this one had no trees so we couldn’t use our winch. I put it in reverse, and without giving it any gas the front and rears wheels would spin at idle.

Luckily I did have my aluminum shovel with us. After about a hour and a half of digging I was able to dig out all the snow that the Jeep was resting on. The Harbor Freight blanket worked great for laying on in the snow! If only we would have made it another 5 feet or so we would have been able to drive all the way through it.

Even tho we got stuck, it still turned out to be a great day.

4FFCE320-1BD7-4DF3-87B0-5962E4B68843.jpeg

66E9E0E0-7D55-47A5-AEBD-0FF90D989DEE.jpeg

69FC77FD-5250-4CCA-B487-79B804EE1B2C.jpeg

B13241DA-4A5F-41FD-A8A1-350DFD44C2B4.jpeg

339C0FD8-6C25-4820-A093-69109E4195BE.jpeg
If you don’t get hung up or stuck once in a while, you’re not wheeling right....:)

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
Crazy. Woman. Canyon.

I won't read anything more interesting all day.
There's a air navigation aid located there. I was flying with a great copilot one day and the air traffic controller radioed us; "...Cleared direct Crazy Woman." Without a beat she keyed up the mic and replied; "...Where do you want me to go?" He responded; "Crazy Woman VOR, charlie zulu india" (the identifier for Crazy Woman). She said; "Oh, I thought you were just calling me what every guy who dates me for more than a week does." Complete silence on the radio for 20 seconds then the controller says; "Oh hi Sue, I didn't know that was you, cleared direct charlie zulu india." :CWL:
Sponsored