Sponsored

How does everyone mount their cell phones?

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Last edited:

kobejo34

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Thats nice! Did you have to trim the screws on the back of the pro swivel or were they flush enough?
i tried using the screws that come with the proclip swivel mount, but the metal bracket is pretty stout and i couldn't get the little screws to work. so I drilled the 4 holes I made a little bigger and used a set of nuts and bolts from my random collection of things. you see the tops of the bolts in the second pic. there is plenty of space between the rear of the metal bracket and the dashboard so you don't have to be too fussy about bolt length.

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired

cmb

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Have a couple different RAM mounts

20190314_123409.jpg

20190314_123358.jpg

Sponsored

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I Installed the Rugged Ridge mount It was easy to install it works great and I can mount my Go pro to it as well.
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
I just use a suction mount to the windshield on my TJ. There's also not a lot of room for anything in a TJ. But it has never fallen off and keeps the phone at eye level when I'm trying to view trail maps offroad. I'll probably use the same on my JLUR when I get it until I can find something more permanent that I like. I'm definitely seeing a lot of good ideas here.

upload_2018-9-26_12-26-2.png
I have this same one in current vehicle, mounted to the dash. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the JL? Haven't picked mine up yet...

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As i sit in my new Wrangler, i have not seen 1 option in this thread that i like :swear::)

Looking for a solution that can do wireless charging, with a strong magnet. I know that's probably a fine-line, as it needs to be strong enough to hold the phone over obstacles, while being able to release the phone to the owner. Has anyone seen any good options along those lines?

TO make the request more difficult: i would also want to see it mounted on the A-pillar, since i like phone mounts to be out of the way of view, vents and functional things on the dash. Anyone have any good options for this? I will continue to research, but wanted to "ping the field". Thanks!:like:

Sponsored

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
As i sit in my new Wrangler, i have not seen 1 option in this thread that i like :swear::)

Looking for a solution that can do wireless charging, with a strong magnet. I know that's probably a fine-line, as it needs to be strong enough to hold the phone over obstacles, while being able to release the phone to the owner. Has anyone seen any good options along those lines?

TO make the request more difficult: i would also want to see it mounted on the A-pillar, since i like phone mounts to be out of the way of view, vents and functional things on the dash. Anyone have any good options for this? I will continue to research, but wanted to "ping the field". Thanks!:like:
I don’t know if a silver bullet for you.

I have a pitaaka case and vent mount- the vent mount supports wireless charging and the magnetic mount has never let go of my phone in 5k miles of normal road driving. The case and mount work very well together, but only when used together. I hang it low on the driver side center vent, which does not disrupt a ton of airflow and gives good access and visibility. My phone is the iPhonex, so it’s not huge or heavy- anything bigger, I can’t endorse - no experience.

Fyi, I don’t use the wireless charging because it doesn’t support carplay. So I just use the magnetic mount and plug the charger directly into the phone.

Can’t provide any guidance on the a pillar. I am right handed and I wouldn’t survive having it on the A pillar.

Good luck- I didn’t like many of the options either but been really happy with the pitaaka offering.

shadowhunter22

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Here's my setup:

First, I got this Rugged Ridge Dash Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZ94R6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then added a Magnetic Wireless Charger (the ball mount should attach perfectly) and fed the wiring down through the dash mount (any should do, here's mine): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2TLH63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connected the USB under the dash with this 12V to 5V DC-DC converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF293V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And finally, to actually provide power, I simply wired it up using the Quadratec 12V Power Adapter (both the phone charger and power to my CB radio are connected through this, no issues): https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl

End result is a magnetic phone mount that also charges, and almost all the wiring is behind the dash, looking super clean:

jeep mount.jpg

Obviously you'd need a phone capable of wireless charging for this exact setup to work, but you could easily adapt it to any regular mount and leave enough slack on the cable to plug into the phone. The only downside with this setup is that it blocks some of the already-small windshield view, but I find it overall less distracting than when I had the phone mounted lower and had to constantly divert my gaze to check the map.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I leave it in my pocket and use UConnect.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my setup:

First, I got this Rugged Ridge Dash Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZ94R6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then added a Magnetic Wireless Charger (the ball mount should attach perfectly) and fed the wiring down through the dash mount (any should do, here's mine): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2TLH63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connected the USB under the dash with this 12V to 5V DC-DC converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEF293V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And finally, to actually provide power, I simply wired it up using the Quadratec 12V Power Adapter (both the phone charger and power to my CB radio are connected through this, no issues): https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl

End result is a magnetic phone mount that also charges, and almost all the wiring is behind the dash, looking super clean:

jeep mount.jpg

Obviously you'd need a phone capable of wireless charging for this exact setup to work, but you could easily adapt it to any regular mount and leave enough slack on the cable to plug into the phone. The only downside with this setup is that it blocks some of the already-small windshield view, but I find it overall less distracting than when I had the phone mounted lower and had to constantly divert my gaze to check the map.
So - how strong is the magnet with this? sounds like an option for what i'm looking for, but curious on the magnetic strength. Your pic shows your Qi charger verticle, so curious how string it is. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored