What oil did my dealer put in my Jeep?

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Looking at this report does anyone know what oil they put in my Jeep? I would google it but I noticed this right before going to work.

Thanks

6C2CA171-2CB4-4C80-A8AC-C10E854B4745.jpeg
Sponsored

TurpJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon manual - Ordered 3/3
5w20 and put in (or charged for) six quarts

Check your oil level...

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Isn't the default oil for JL Wranglers 0w20 for the 3.6l engine?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah wasn't there just a thread here that it's supposed to be 5 qts (and of course the 0W-20 is obvious) and all dealers are getting it wrong?

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
looks like they put 6 quarts of 5w20, so they did everything wrong but the filter.

or it is a oil change kit, that comes with 6 quarts and they only put in 5, but charged for 6, but even then they used the wrong oil.

First time I got mine changed at dealer, I looked at the invoice ( it was a jeep wave freebie) but they used a kit with 6 quarts, and on the breakdown was a credit for the 6th quart they didn't use, I did go ask the girl if they used 5 or 6, and she said 5, checked oil and it was not overfilled.

I Highly suggest everyone getting oil changed at dealer, make sure they know it is 0w20 and 5 quarts when you make the appointment, seems to be a lot of dumb people in the world and they all work at car dealers

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like 6 quarts of 5w20 Penzoil conventional. They are supposed to use the semi-synthetic (or whatever they call it) 5 quarts 0w-20 and they won't use full synthetic for your free oil changes.

They have been screwing up all changes for a year and half now.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Call them and have them flat tow it back on their dime as it is now unsafe for the engine. That will teach them to learn their jobs, one tow at a time.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Sorry to hear this is still happening.
This is why I tend to preemptively strike this issue before they even touch the Jeep...
Every time I go into a dealership for anything, I have a pile of nicely stacked print-outs with highlighters spelling out Every. Single. Detail. of what needs and needs-not to be done. I know it's a hassle, but more of a hassle when you have to go back and possibly cause even more issues.

I also sit by the service writer and hold his hands, and Spell. It. Out. for him and ask him to type it word by word into his computer, and have it printed out, and I also call him on my way to work/home to double check he remembered everything that needed to be done, and I also make hourly phone calls to helicopter on the progress.

Never had a fuck-up since.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
This is why you need to preemptively strike this issue before they even touch your Jeep...
Every time I go into a dealership for anything, I have a pile of nicely stacked print-outs with highlighters spelling out Every. Single. Detail. of what needs and needs-not to be done. I know it's a hassle, but more of a hassle when you have to go back and possibly cause even more issues.

I also sit by the service writer and hold his hands, and Spell. It. Out. for him and ask him to type it word by word into his computer, and have it printed out, and I also call him on my way to work/home to double check he remembered everything that needed to be done, and I also make hourly phone calls to double check on the progress.

Never had a fuck-up since.

I do the same thing. I was going to type basically the same thing, but chickened out as I thought everyone would think I was overthinking it..ha ha!

StingJL_GA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
Yeah wasn't there just a thread here that it's supposed to be 5 qts (and of course the 0W-20 is obvious) and all dealers are getting it wrong?
I think depending on weather and climate it does change I wouldn’t want to run a 0W20 if I had the choice I’d run a 5W20

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is the EASIEST oil change on the planet, no need to lift it up, no oil running over cross members since the filter is on top, no need to carefully measure the amount since most oil is available in 5 qt jugs. Costs about $30 w/ current oil deals, takes about 15 minutes, AND YOU KNOW IT WASN'T F'D UP!

$30 and 15 minutes of my time is much cheaper IMO than taking it to the dealer, waiting, and then having to check their work, not knowing if they over-torqued or cross threaded the drain plug, over tightened the filter cap, added too much oil. Wish I could transfer my free oil changes to someone that wants them.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I told my salesman right before I drove off "you'll never see me or this Jeep again". If they can't even get an oil change right do you really want them in your engine or transmission? You know the FCA warranty is good at any ASE certified mechanic (read your warranty paperwork), if you're not going to work on it yourself find a mechanic you can trust and take it to them.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The 5w20 wouldn't concern me if its synthetic which this one isn't. They used conventional per the part #. Filling with 6 is more of an issue as well. They screwed up in just about every way possible.

I just went through a similar situation this past weekend. Filled with 6 qts and was told I was wrong about 5 qts. They ended up doing the oil change again and admitting their fault.

Here in Fla, Id rather use 5w20 to give a little better protection at temp due to the ambient temps here. Its still negligible between 0w20 vs 5w20.
Sponsored