Bestop Sunrider + Roof Rack question

psuslov

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
Hey guys! First time Jeep owner here. Recently got my 18' Sahara and right now I'm in the process of creating a wish list for my car (ultimate goal - capable overland vehicle and comfortable daily driver at the same time).

One of the mods I want to go for is a Bestop Sunrider (living in LA so is a must), and at the same time, I want to have a roof rack where I can put my tent/skis/different stuff.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/best...BqGM7ukoZRZdE3jGFTYaAni4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looking through the different options/threads, I couldn't find a 100% answer to my question - what roof rack is going to work with Bestop Sunrider? I want to be able to open it anytime.

Right now I'm looking at Maximus-3 Short Rack:
https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system-short

And I wasn't sure if I can use Sunrider at the same time.

Maybe some of you guys faced the same issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Biases: love my Sunrider but for different reasons. For me it's a transitional top, between full hard or soft, for say, Spring and Fall in my 4 season locale.

Pavel, I think it's a good choice, but by no means the only, and by no means coming without its share of drawbacks.

I'm not the last word on anything, let alone roof racks, but a similar question came up yesterday and I replied with some of the questions to ask yourself.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-space-rack-and-roof-boxes.27221/#post-645639

In this post you'll also find a link to the forum's roof rack list: good read.

It seems like the Maximus 3 of your post requires drilling through the top. I assume you're okay with that. It will commit you though to running only the hard top (at least in the back) if you need the rack.

Surco makes a similar rack that attaches to the rain gutters (no drilling) and the hard top bolts (the latter just like the Maximus), which I suspect increases its towing capacity, but I don't think they have their JL 2 or 4 door racks out yet(??).

Will you regret that you only bought a half rack? Do you need the rack now? Would saving your money and going with something like the MOPAR rain gutter mounts (150 pound limit I think) and some basket (MOPARs or otherwise) be the wise play until something like this bad boy (bound to be expensive) comes out?

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

It's ability to change the configuration of the basket, and slide it out of the way, makes the Sunrider product OR Sunrider position of the OEM soft top much more doable.

I do though like your choice. It seems stylish and rugged.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan on opening the Sunrider, I don't think that rack will work well. The Sunrider folds back further and from the pictures I think it would run into the rack. I'm suspecting the sunrider top would only be able to fold back about vertical and then would need to be secured.

OP
OP
psuslov

psuslov

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
It seems like the Maximus 3 of your post requires drilling through the top. I assume you're okay with that. It will commit you though to running only the hard top (at least in the back) if you need the rack.

Surco makes a similar rack that attaches to the rain gutters (no drilling) and the hard top bolts (the latter just like the Maximus), which I suspect increases its towing capacity, but I don't think they have their JL 2 or 4 door racks out yet(??).

Will you regret that you only bought a half rack? Do you need the rack now? Would saving your money and going with something like the MOPAR rain gutter mounts (150 pound limit I think) and some basket (MOPARs or otherwise) be the wise play until something like this bad boy (bound to be expensive) comes out?

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

Hey Ronald!

Thanks a lot for your reply! Yeah, I'm fine with drilling my hardtop! I like the options of Gobi Stealth, LodoOffroad - but I don't like that the mounts going through the whole body, the thing I like in Rhino/Maximus is their minimalism (just a few holding points in the back), that's why I'm looking at these options.

I really love MOPAR rain gutter mounts and it would probably be my to go option, but I'm planning to put a tent on it at some point and the 150-pound limit is not enough for this, unfortunately.

If you plan on opening the Sunrider, I don't think that rack will work well. The Sunrider folds back further and from the pictures I think it would run into the rack. I'm suspecting the sunrider top would only be able to fold back about vertical and then would need to be secured.

Thanks, 1quick1! Yeah, I'm still looking at different options, I'm not rushing it so I have some time to do my research and choose the best option for me )

Here's how far back it goes...
It probably would be fine.
Wow, thanks, that helps a lot! From these photos I might say that Maximus 3 Short will work with it! Btw, I sent some emails to Quadratec and Maximus with my question about roof racks and Sunrider, hope to get some reply soon!

Sponsored

nova99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire, 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Ebony Twilight, 2018 JLUR Bright White
If you have a Alien sun shade installed on a JLUR can you install the Bestop Sunrider on top of it without removing the sun shade? I can put the hard top and freedom panels on without removing it. Bestop had no idea so hoping the forum can chime in. Thanks!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@psuslov

Pavel--there is one more "fly in the ointment"

Even if you could get the Maximus 3 to fit with the Sunrider, according to the your website link in the OP, the Maximus 3 is known to cause cancer and reproductive harm....

...but only in the State of California that you report residing in.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Yes I have seen posts of people doing this.

CassieAtBestop

If you have a Alien sun shade installed on a JLUR can you install the Bestop Sunrider on top of it without removing the sun shade? I can put the hard top and freedom panels on without removing it. Bestop had no idea so hoping the forum can chime in. Thanks!

OP
OP
psuslov

psuslov

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara

Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Hey I have had this same question. Did you ever find and answer? Thanks!

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Hey guys! First time Jeep owner here. Recently got my 18' Sahara and right now I'm in the process of creating a wish list for my car (ultimate goal - capable overland vehicle and comfortable daily driver at the same time).

One of the mods I want to go for is a Bestop Sunrider (living in LA so is a must), and at the same time, I want to have a roof rack where I can put my tent/skis/different stuff.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/bestop-sunrider-for-factory-hard-tops-black-diamond-1819-jeep-jl.html?utm_content=XT Tops - Hard Tops|Bestop&T5_Var4=J130606-JL&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Brands+Medium+RLSA&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4qvlBRDiARIsAHme6ovDJb8Y056Pi-NKMbI6-NToC8VWQprfBUbrBqGM7ukoZRZdE3jGFTYaAni4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looking through the different options/threads, I couldn't find a 100% answer to my question - what roof rack is going to work with Bestop Sunrider? I want to be able to open it anytime.

Right now I'm looking at Maximus-3 Short Rack:
https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system-short

And I wasn't sure if I can use Sunrider at the same time.

Maybe some of you guys faced the same issue? Any suggestions?

I installed the Sunrider (love the convenience and how nice it looks) and the EVO roof rack. The front of the EVO rack terminates exactly at the back end of the Sunrider which of course is where the front Freedom Tops end. Now that EVO top will take some time to put together (there are 64 bolts) but very straight forward. It is well built and heavy so it is not a one man job to put it on top but two moderately strong individuals will have not problem. It only adds about 1 1/2" of height.

They both look great and function well together.
Thanks!

IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
Sponsored