Sponsored

Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
1900lbs worth of trailer. Not sure on the tongue weight, but it’s got to be close to 2-300lbs.

I’ll add some airbags in the rear. Towing with the 37s was not ideal, but manageable with a 6 speed.

3F8D8EBF-B05A-4018-B4EC-4B989D80A5C3.jpeg

23D07490-5C32-4221-8E9C-D77A8978DE7E.jpeg

E3B5AC4B-06CB-42EC-991B-2A96B80E0980.jpeg
Sponsored

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Nice setup Brad !

I rented a Tab for our summer vacations... How many inches drop do you use for the hitch receiver?

Thank and enjoy you new Tab,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thanks! I’ll check, but I think it’s 4.5 or 5 inches. Stock Rubi suspension on 35’s. It pulled great on the long drive home from the rv place- followed right behind me as semis passed and some high crosswinds. No sway control.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
The jlu wheelbase is pretty long and the rear overhang from wheels to hitch is short so these things are really stable towing.

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Still going strong? That looks like the trailer we just bought, a Jayco flight 174....same? I pick mine up in two weeks so I'm trying to regear first because I'm running 37s.
Yes. Congratulations. Its the 174bh (bunkhouse). We love it. Perfect size for our family of 5. Two older kids in the bunkbeds, baby in pack n play where the table goes (in the morning we put the table back up) Jeep is towing it great with 35's. Most of our towing with the Jeep is withing two hours. If we take the trailer on long a road trip we take my wife's Yukon XL just for comfort.

But its the perfect base camp for our Jeeping camping trips.

The cabinets have a hard time getting light so its hard to see your food so I just put in six of these puck lights - motion sensor ed and its awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Cordles...&sprefix=motion+se,aps,243&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Yes. Congratulations. Its the 174bh (bunkhouse). We love it. Perfect size for our family of 5. Two older kids in the bunkbeds, baby in pack n play where the table goes (in the morning we put the table back up) Jeep is towing it great with 35's. Most of our towing with the Jeep is withing two hours. If we take the trailer on long a road trip we take my wife's Yukon XL just for comfort.

But its the perfect base camp for our Jeeping camping trips.

The cabinets have a hard time getting light so its hard to see your food so I just put in six of these puck lights - motion sensor ed and its awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Cordless-Battery-Powered-Stick-anywhere-Bathroom/dp/B00T1O1DXY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1ZKR9QAON50WB&keywords=motion+sensor+light&qid=1554229894&s=gateway&sprefix=motion+se,aps,243&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. We also went with the bunkhouse as we have a 5 and 8 year old. When the wife said this would lead to more jeep trips, i was sold!

So you have no issues on 35s? Are any of your trips hilly at all? We will be going to northern Michigan occasionally and by no means is it mountainous, but there are some longer uphill climbs that I'm concerned about with the 4.10 gears.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. We also went with the bunkhouse as we have a 5 and 8 year old. When the wife said this would lead to more jeep trips, i was sold!

So you have no issues on 35s? Are any of your trips hilly at all? We will be going to northern Michigan occasionally and by no means is it mountainous, but there are some longer uphill climbs that I'm concerned about with the 4.10 gears.
Most all of our trips are up mountains. On a long steeper grade where you want to keep your speed up you feel it a bit. We have this one pass where the speed limit is 70mph with three good climbs - I usually end up around 60mph uphill just so I am not burning all my gas. Most of my spots are about 40 miles of 50mph highway and then slow forest service roads - on those trips the towing is butter smooth and I forget the trailer is there.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Most all of our trips are up mountains. On a long steeper grade where you want to keep your speed up you feel it a bit. We have this one pass where the speed limit is 70mph with three good climbs - I usually end up around 60mph uphill just so I am not burning all my gas. Most of my spots are about 40 miles of 50mph highway and then slow forest service roads - on those trips the towing is butter smooth and I forget the trailer is there.
Thanks man, appreciate the feedback and glad to hear its working so well. I ended up going with the weight distribution and sway bar hitch to help the jeep tow it as well.

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Some of these pictures and conversations scare me. The Jeep has a rating of 3500 pounds for a reason. That is max. No a 3300 lb dry trailer is NOT OK to tow. It will be over 3500 with a battery and paper plates. Everyone needs to keep in mind that 3500 is the max when everything is balanced. As you approach that max weight you will more than likely already be overloading the GVWR, GCWR or one or both axle ratings. I urge some of you to run through a CAT scale and get real readings when loaded. You will be surprised. Do it before you get in an accident and get sued, or worse. Weight is a big deal right now and you don’t want the liability of being over loaded.