Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Disclaimer: I am not an employee or owner of GPCA. I do not earn money from GPCA's sale of product. I am a happy owner of purchased GPCA product.

In a thread I started a while back https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-wait-most-for-to-be-built-or-invented.13490/ on things we wish the aftermarket would produce for the JL, I indicated as one of my top desires a cargo cover that you could store things on top of.

Other posters concurred, as they did the idea that--shall we politely say--the JL aftermarket currently falls short of user wishes: something I'm sure time will eventually address, like it has for the JK model.

I'm glad to report that GPCA has not simply met my wishes but exceeded them in their Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Cargo Cover PRO.

https://www.gpca.us/shop/gpca-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-cargo-cover-pro/

This design is not only rugged enough to hold the weight of objects on top of it, but provides numerous ways of securing said items.

I'm not implying that the cover will hold "bags of concrete stacked to the rig's roof" on its top. I am implying that the concrete (in this metaphor) goes below the cargo cover, secured (along with any valuables) from prying eyes by the cargo cover, while the less heavy items go above on top of the cover.

The cover is flippable, providing a more rugged (yet refined) appearance on one side (my preference) that includes MOLLE tie downs, and a more "finished" look on the other side if you prefer.

Regardless of which side of the product you face out, the purchase includes 6 Tie-Down D plates that allow you to further strap down items on top of the cover with separately purchased straps of your liking.

Additionally, (my product at least) featured 2 stainless steel M8 X 1.25 size flat head bolts, threaded identically to the bolts that keep (and come with) the hard top secured. These bolts, given their flat head style, are designed to secure the front most straps of the cargo cover to the tub liner should you be running with a soft top. To point, the two "dog leg" pieces of hardware that secure the soft top at and behind the back doors (of an Unlimited) obscure the front most hardtop bolt down holes.

Simply and temporarily undo each dog leg's 2 bolts with the FCA supplied T 40 torx wrench, lift the dog legs up a tad and install these screws with their Tie Down D plates. Put the dog legs back into position and screw them down again: 2 minutes work tops with written and video instructions.

Essentially, you do the opposite of what Rob Jarrell of Quadratec does here on the soft top install:

Alternatively, if you run with a hard top, the factory supplied bolts will work fine, although I prefer use of GPCA's Tie-Down Anchor Pro screws https://www.gpca.us/shop/jeep-wrangler-jl-jk-hardtop-quick-release/ because their design provides more places to anchor stuff with rope. M8 screws like these, at least 4, are needed for soft top owner users (who don't also have a hard top via a Dual Top Purchase,) who don't have M8 screws otherwise supplied with a hard top.

Anyway, back to the cover. Held in by industrial strength Velcro straps, the cover can easily be removed or partially taken down if you wish, for example, to haul items whose size and orientation demands require the complete cargo area floor to roof height size.

I think many of us will agree the GPCA doesn't "invent the wheel," they just "perfect it."

For example, when they entered the grab handle business such products were already well positioned in the market, but theirs, given is well thought out design and materials, along with their ability to tuck out of the way, made it distinct.

If you need a locking box in your cargo area, this product alone may not be for you--although it might hide the presence of such a box and provide tie down storage abilities above. But if you want a cargo cover to keep stuff in the cargo area from flying around, hid from view (especially in top off/down situations,) and the ability to put items above the tub height and secured (on the cargo cover's top,) this is solid product to do so.

Happy trails.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2624.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
It's a great idea. *Edit to correct my misinformation *
I’m going to try one out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
It's a great idea. But they don't recommend using it with the top down. I'm looking more for something that would also cover while driving topless or top down that is easily removeable for larger items.
I'm sure you have your sources for saying this Carl. If you can cite them that would be great; if not, that's okay.

Funny, the product's description here suggests otherwise https://www.gpca.us/shop/gpca-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-cargo-cover-pro/ "hard top/soft top/topless."

I've never used the cover with a topless Wrangler; at most with a soft top in Sunrider position. I will say that the cover faired well in the wind, and from my own take on its fit and finish, I would think it would do just find in an entirely open wind environment.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s listed in their FAQ section
I'm sure you have your sources for saying this Carl. If you can cite them that would be great; if not, that's okay.

Funny, the product's description here suggests otherwise https://www.gpca.us/shop/gpca-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-cargo-cover-pro/ "hard top/soft top/topless."

I've never used the cover with a topless Wrangler; at most with a soft top in Sunrider position. I will say that the cover faired well in the wind, and from my own take on its fit and finish, I would think it would do just find in an entirely open wind environment.
I’m sorry you are 100% correct.
When reading through their FAQ section I miss read where they start talking about the pro then change to the lite version about not being topless friendly other than driving around town. From their site.
How well does it hold up with the soft top or hardtop removed at HWY speeds?
For both topless and top on, the Cargo Cover PRO is your top choice.
The GPCA Cargo Cover LITE is built as a privacy cover to hide your valuables under a JL or JK soft/ hardtop. it’s not our design intent for off top. We have some users reported no problem driving topless driving around town. But we only recommend using under the top to hide your valuable as we designed and obviously you can use it topless when you park and it will still hide your stuff and protect them from light rain since it’s very nice water repelling nylon material.

Sponsored

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I just received this and the product is incredible. great look and very well built product!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just received this and the product is incredible. great look and very well built product!
Which one did you get ? the lite for the hard top on or the one where can take the hard top off ?

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Which one did you get ? the lite for the hard top on or the one where can take the hard top off ?
I got the pro and it’s worth the extra few bucks. A thicker material feels like a well build product no problems since owning it top on or top off

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I got the pro and it’s worth the extra few bucks. A thicker material feels like a well build product no problems since owning it top on or top off
I also noticed in the picture it look thicker and made better and it also looks like it doesn't sag. On the lite it sags back by the door it's like it's not strong enough there's not webbing on it so the cover just sags in. I Saw The lite for 62 how much is the pro ? I bought two of their grab handles for behind the headrest have not got them yet in that bright red I'm thinking about replacing my Mopar handles the grab handles on the seats for people to grab up above front and rear and go with there are also in the red they look well made you think they're cool looking ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just went ahead and bought the lite for $65 the pro was $99 and i wont use it with the top off because people can just lift it up and look inside anyway. And i dont put many things back there anyway but thought if i ever do the few times i do it would be nice to have this. How much did you pay for the pro one ?

Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the pro not for security aspect as people can just lift it up. It it will prevent anything from blowing out on the highway. Covering my crap with the hardtop is just a bonus.
I just went ahead and bought the lite for $65 the pro was $99 and i wont use it with the top off because people can just lift it up and look inside anyway. And i dont put many things back there anyway but thought if i ever do the few times i do it would be nice to have this. How much did you pay for the pro one ?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I bought the pro not for security aspect as people can just lift it up. It it will prevent anything from blowing out on the highway. Covering my crap with the hardtop is just a bonus.
wow going down the road at 60 70 miles an hour that thing rip or tear or flap really loud

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
wow going down the road at 60 70 miles an hour that thing rip or tear or flap really loud
Nope no problems just drove 2 hours going 70 the whole way no top and no issues! Ended up tailgating and just took it off when we got there to hangout in the back

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I also noticed in the picture it look thicker and made better and it also looks like it doesn't sag. On the lite it sags back by the door it's like it's not strong enough there's not webbing on it so the cover just sags in. I Saw The lite for 62 how much is the pro ? I bought two of their grab handles for behind the headrest have not got them yet in that bright red I'm thinking about replacing my Mopar handles the grab handles on the seats for people to grab up above front and rear and go with there are also in the red they look well made you think they're cool looking ?
I have a pair of the grab handles as well! Only in the front to replace the Mopar ones I never have people in the back they’re nice what I like over the Mopar ones is you can adjust and move them closer or further on the sports bar since they don’t use screws to secure like Mopar grab handles

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well time for an update. I’m not really happy with the cover anymore. No matter how I try to adjust the cover, the end by the tailgate must have stretched due to heat, wind, time or whatever. It no longer can stay flat and dips down leaving a large gap that flaps in the wind. Keep in mind I still haven’t installed my soft top yet. I’ve been thinking about adding a hard piece of plastic to the end to strengthen the end. If that doesn’t work I’m giving up on it. It was a great product all winter but with the heat I don’t think I will be able to keep using it. Probably will look at the hard covers. Is anyone else having the same issue?
Sponsored