Diabolical Slipstream Install and review

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I just ordered the J-tops Soft top Boot, this will condense the top a little and prevent the flapping

Sponsored

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I didn't know about the price increase?! Hmm that could cause me to purchase earlier (good play, Diabolical).

@Last Mango are you still able to lock the soft top down or is it not even close now? And if not, are you securing the top to the tie down rails or is it really not necessary?
Not sure about locking it down, I never locked it down. for us, Safari Mode, coupled with the Sunrider position, has been great. It provides open air, yet maintains full access from the tailgate under the slipstream, and above.

Tannerdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 upgraded (?) to a 2020 JLUR
Just ordered my Slipstream and I have the Mopar cargo rubber mat system (covers the floor up to the back of the second row). Will I be able to use the mats with the Slipstream? Thanks for the help!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It will be close you may have the trim that front edge (near the seat)

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know about the price increase?! Hmm that could cause me to purchase earlier (good play, Diabolical).

@Last Mango are you still able to lock the soft top down or is it not even close now? And if not, are you securing the top to the tie down rails or is it really not necessary?
No, you won't be able to lock the soft top down. With the slipstream in place the top doesn't go down far enough (by probably 2" or more) to engage the lock mechanism. Be aware if you take your soft top off (full removal) with the locks engaged it also won't go down far enough to unlock the locks either.

Another issue if you have a soft top. The tie down rails are too long and stick out enough that the tailgate bar won't snap into the plastic holders. I talked to Alan @ Diabolical about it and he acknowledged that they had redesigned for April release shorter tie down rails but they weren't going to address it for current customers. I cut about 1/8" off mine and ground them down with a dremel and painted them and things are fine now.

Sponsored

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
This all doesn't sound very promising.. I purchased and installed the slipstream with my hard top couple of weeks ago, and I'm planning to install the soft top this weekend, I made sure to ask if it works with a soft top, and Alan emailed me and said yes and sent pictures of it as well... I thought since the jl has been out well over a year that they would have all the kinks out by now, and every time I come on this forum there is always talk of minor upgrades "apparently" being designed..for what I paid..(and honestly way too much for what you get in my opinion) , I hope they do right with existing customers... with that being said,, I do love it, looks very cool, and sturdy and its extremely practical, but I was honestly intending on using it with the soft top or no top...I really hope I don't have to return it...

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Not sure about locking it down, I never locked it down. for us, Safari Mode, coupled with the Sunrider position, has been great. It provides open air, yet maintains full access from the tailgate under the slipstream, and above.
This is good to know! I could end up never putting the top fully down with the other modes available, but I wish I had the option without this much interference.

I hope they do right with existing customers...
Others have said they'll be shipped an updated lid with cutouts so it can be folded back w/o hitting the soft top mechanism, but it'd be a bummer if the tie down rails weren't included with that. So assuming I'd have to purchase the updated tie down rails, I'm probably better off waiting for the price increase with all the updates included :facepalm: Price of early adopting I guess

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
This all doesn't sound very promising.. I purchased and installed the slipstream with my hard top couple of weeks ago, and I'm planning to install the soft top this weekend, I made sure to ask if it works with a soft top, and Alan emailed me and said yes and sent pictures of it as well... I thought since the jl has been out well over a year that they would have all the kinks out by now, and every time I come on this forum there is always talk of minor upgrades "apparently" being designed..for what I paid..(and honestly way too much for what you get in my opinion) , I hope they do right with existing customers... with that being said,, I do love it, looks very cool, and sturdy and its extremely practical, but I was honestly intending on using it with the soft top or no top...I really hope I don't have to return it...
Let me get this straight. You installed a large metal deck essentially, across the entire back of your Jeep. And you are somehow surprised that the soft top doesn't magically fold back and teleport through the deck?

What?

Are you joking?

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Let me get this straight. You installed a large metal deck essentially, across the entire back of your Jeep. And you are somehow surprised that the soft top doesn't magically fold back and teleport through the deck?

What?

Are you joking?
Yeah bro totally joking....
I ordered the slipstream after emailing the owner and being reassured that the product works with “both” tops, I could care less if it sits flush.. I care if I have to disassemble the whole thing just to attach my soft top since it took 3 plus hours because of flakey instructions to assemble it..I’m also concerned of it not functioning properly as well.. like not being able to open all the way and not fitting properly because of the tie down rails interfering with the back window bar.. I also praised the product as well, I’m a former Marine and combat vet .. and I love buying from veteran owned businesses like diabolicalinc
I also purchased cool products from mcleanmetalworks and deepsleep4jeeps.. all American made and owned businesses...I do go to jeep meets and fest every year and I have no problem promoting any quality products, I don’t have Instagram or Facebook and no YouTube channel to promote anything or try to get anything free from any of the companies.. i.e (there’s NOTHING in it for me) I just ask that a company that I spend my money on and promote their product stand by their product, and right the wrongs, like defects or any other over looked problems they didn’t account for.. so step off!!! Keep your condescending comments to yourself... have a nice day...

What?

Are you joking?

TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
Anybody want to buy a brand new Slipstream JL in the unopened box? I don't think I want this thing now that I know I can't put my soft top all the way down. That info should be prominent in the item description, not buried at the bottom of a column of yellow on black text.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Anybody want to buy a brand new Slipstream JL in the unopened box? I don't think I want this thing now that I know I can't put my soft top all the way down. That info should be prominent in the item description, not buried at the bottom of a column of yellow on black text.
You realize it only stops a few inches shy of locking, whereas $5 for velcro straps solves the problem, myself I purchased a boot for the soft top I suspect with the boot on my profile will be as low or lower that the top in the locked position as the boot will condense the floppy top. I think most uf us buy it for security and the versatility of it which cannot be beat. Your choices are limited, I read just the other sat the Tuffy Box also prevents locking the soft top.

TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
You realize it only stops a few inches shy of locking, whereas $5 for velcro straps solves the problem, myself I purchased a boot for the soft top I suspect with the boot on my profile will be as low or lower that the top in the locked position as the boot will condense the floppy top. I think most uf us buy it for security and the versatility of it which cannot be beat. Your choices are limited, I read just the other sat the Tuffy Box also prevents locking the soft top.
Yeah, trying to work through the scenarios to see what the best options are. I just wish this interference information had been more obvious in the description. Having no prior experience with the JL soft top and having never seen the Slipstream in person, it's not always easy to visualize how the pieces will interact until it is too late. I appreciate the feedback however.

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I want to provide an update regarding being able to lock down the soft top while using the Slipstream,

I purchased the Slipstream a few months ago for my 2019 JLUR. After installing the soft top I noticed the top would not lock down. Upon noticing this, I contact Alan at Diabolical to determine if there was a work around. Over the course of several weeks, I've been emailing and talking with Alan on a resolution.

He is getting closer to putting some things into production which will be a 'work around' for not being able to lock down the soft top. First, the tie down rails will be shortened to approximately 23" so when the soft top is folded, there will be no contact between the soft top and the tie down rails. With the current tie down rails, the soft top sits directly on these two thin pieces of metal which in time, will wear through the fabric. Shortening the rails will resolve this issue and allow the top to sit fully on the top of the Slipstream, and not on the tie down rails.

Second, Diabolical will be producing a soft top cover that will wrap around the folded soft top and hold it in a more compacted fashion, allowing better visibility out the back and keeping the fabric from flapping in the wind. The cover will be able to be secured to the tie down rails thereby 'locking' the soft top in position.

From my discussions with Alan, these two updates will be included at no charge for current Slipstream owners.

Pictures attached of the prototype pieces.
-You can see the end of the tie down rail and how it allows sufficient room for the soft top to lay flush on the Slipstream.
-Soft top cover. Work in progress with some adjustments needed but Diabolical is working with their suppliers to finalize.

Soft top cover.jpg

Tie Down Rails.jpg

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
J tops currently has a boot that works well with the Slipstream, this is probably the best option currently

https://www.jtopsusa.com/shop-onlin...Storage-Boot-Available-In-8-Colors-p116028201

852456795.jpg
This options doesn't protect the corners from wearing out on the top of the slipstream though. I just got my slipstream in the mail today and really don't want to run the risk of wearing through the top of the corners that are supposed to sit down in the well as pictured below. I guess this is why the Tuffy box does not cover the entire top of the back of the jeep to allow these to sit down in the jeep.

IMG_0536.jpg
Sponsored