supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Got it fixed yesterday, Amazon was one day earlier, drove about 120 miles and no wobble and firm.

Turn out the passenger side ball joint was also bad, so regardless oem parts I was glad to go with better aftermarket option.
There is no need to get alignment, you adjust the length of your new link to your original one, mine happens to be 105mm, and correct steering wheel centerness if necessary. I'm lucky, dead center without any adjustment.

682c63295b2756abd48877be6671c7c.jpg
aa1e3f55231ab55b4e7e670de0c5579.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey supermike. Did you get the new part installed? If so, did it fix your death wobble for good?

It happened to me in the highway for the first time this weekend. A 2.5 inch spacer lift is the only suspension mods that have been installed. Having a hard time believing that caused it. Going to check the pitman’s joint after reading your post today. Thanks

yes mine was fixed. Every single ball joint, bolt down there can cause your jeep to wobble. don't assume and overlook anything. hope you can fix it soon.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this. My dad and brother laughed at me when I started asking them about how to do mods & maintenance & asked them to show me once my Jeep arrives. B/c all the times I could of learned and didn’t—now I want to know. . But hey a girls gotta learn sometime. Save me $ instead of having to pay people to do stuff for my Jeep.
well, drive a land cruiser/prado you only leaned how to open the hood to fill windshield washer fluids. Driving a jeep it will let you become a certified master technician.

OP
OP
supermike

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Purchased my JLUS in June 2018. Steering was tight, no issues. I have owned many straight front axle vehicles and did not expect it to handle like an independent suspension'd sports car, but it's steering was more than adequate. Until, Sept 2018 I started experiencing "the wobble", never felt in danger of loosing control of vehicle but it was a violent shake. Took to dealer and they replaced the steering stabilizer. Problem solved...until Jan 2019 "the wobble" returned. Dealer promptly replaced the steering stabilizer again. This is still a BONE STOCK vehicle, no lift, street tires. Since I have a little experience with straight axle vehicles, I know that the vehicle should steer just fine without a steering stabilizer, given all other parts are functioning properly. I think the steering stabilizer is just masking the actual problem. I will check my ball joints and links as the OP suggests. Just wanted the forum to know "the wobble" occurs on un-lifted, un-oversized tires, un-modified JL's as well.
I got my JLU Wrangler in May 2018 and have had a similar experience. The Jeep is completely stock, with the stock tires that come on a Sahara.

I've not taken it off-road yet, and use it as a daily driver to bop around town, and for road trips. From city to highway driving, it handled really well until it didn't, and the front end went into a violent shake after hitting a patch of asphalt on the HWY @ about 75 mph. Since then, anything above 70 mph feels like a different vehicle than running below that speed.

My local dealer was surprised to hear that a new stock JL was having this issue. This post is just to second your experience, with wobbling being an issue for new, unmodified jeeps.
This is to third your experience.....I have a fully stock Sport S. Stock everything with only 2500 miles. Had the DW around 1000 miles and the dealer put a new stabilizer and it worked for about 2 months. Last weekend, hit a bridge joint and it shock violently. I have an appointment tomorrow - so frustrating. One more thing I have to deal with that I shouldn't have to deal with. Not thrilled about this.

death wobble is 99% caused by loose bolt and ball joints. steering stabilizer only improve the ride/drive quality, and sometime will mask the problem. dealer is just lazy and full of bs. Again, we are talking about Chrysler, the finest of the finest, both build quality and customer service.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got it fixed yesterday, Amazon was one day earlier, drove about 120 miles and no wobble and firm.

Turn out the passenger side ball joint was also bad, so regardless oem parts I was glad to go with better aftermarket option.
There is no need to get alignment, you adjust the length of your new link to your original one, mine happens to be 105mm, and correct steering wheel centerness if necessary. I'm lucky, dead center without any adjustment.

How many miles are on your Jeep?

Sponsored

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport

This is so embarrassing on Chrysler's part. These parts should last 40k miles with regular road use at minimum!

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased my JLUS in June 2018. Steering was tight, no issues. I have owned many straight front axle vehicles and did not expect it to handle like an independent suspension'd sports car, but it's steering was more than adequate. Until, Sept 2018 I started experiencing "the wobble", never felt in danger of loosing control of vehicle but it was a violent shake. Took to dealer and they replaced the steering stabilizer. Problem solved...until Jan 2019 "the wobble" returned. Dealer promptly replaced the steering stabilizer again. This is still a BONE STOCK vehicle, no lift, street tires. Since I have a little experience with straight axle vehicles, I know that the vehicle should steer just fine without a steering stabilizer, given all other parts are functioning properly. I think the steering stabilizer is just masking the actual problem. I will check my ball joints and links as the OP suggests. Just wanted the forum to know "the wobble" occurs on un-lifted, un-oversized tires, un-modified JL's as well.
Mine is bone stock and I've had DW 3 times Going back to dealer when they have a loaner.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
That is funny, as I am a single finger and thumb guy.

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
Mine is back in the shop today for the third time (original, plus two replacement steering stabilizers so far). Dealer said that they had one (yes, they said they only had one other complaining of "death wobble") last week and that Chrysler had gotten involved and the dealer changed/adjusted/aligned several things, per Chrysler, and the customer had not complained again...yet. Again, mine is bone stock JLUS with street tires, not sure my next step if this doesn't work, but they are going to fix it. I fully understand the folks here putting aftermarket (aka, stronger) track bars, stabilizers, etc. to fix Jeep engineering issues. And as a former business owner, my mantra was always; "Don't throw good money after bad", but it is now a matter of principal. It is not how much, or little I paid for the vehicle. It is not how much, or little I would have to pay for the aftermarket parts...it is about making someone own up to what they agreed to do in the purchase agreement and warranty. I would be letting the dealer/manufacturer off the hook, if I fixed it myself and I would be saying that it's okay for them to sell me a defective vehicle and get away with it. I know, I may eat these words soon enough. It may boil down to whether or not I want to pony up and hire an attorney $$$$$$$$ or just add the aftermarket parts $$. We will see. Good luck to all my "death wobble" compadres, have fun and stay safe. I'll keep you posted. (pun intended)

Sponsored

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara

Can u let usknow if this works. This is my next thought to help my wheel shake shimmy wobble oscillation whatever its being called not death wobble by any means

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Can u let usknow if this works. This is my next thought to help my wheel shake shimmy wobble oscillation whatever its being called not death wobble by any means
I still get a wobble/ bumpsteer with my steer smart stuff. Not as bad but its still there. I like the way it steers and handles better, but still cant shake the slight wobbles

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
I still get a wobble/ bumpsteer with my steer smart stuff. Not as bad but its still there. I like the way it steers and handles better, but still cant shake the slight wobbles
That is sad to hear apparently if your build date is before 5/8/18 you most likely have a bad steering box

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That is sad to hear apparently if your build date is before 5/8/18 you most likely have a bad steering box
I had a new gear box replaced already. Only thing i can think of is a beefier stabilizer to hide it. The metalcloak one i have isnt very firm