Sponsored

Initial Impressions: Sky One-Touch Power Top

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
After over a year of following this forum and dreaming of buying a new Wrangler JL, we finally pulled the trigger and bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JLU). I never thought I'd buy one with the retractable soft top, until I saw my wife's eyes light up when I pressed the button during the test drive. It really is easy to operate and I imagine it will save us the hassle of storing multiple tops. I was getting ready to "compromise" and get a 3 piece hard-top and an aftermarket sunrider for hard top. Anyway, I thought I'd share with you some initial impressions of the Sky One-Touch retractable top. 1) It's super easy to operate, 2) it's a little noisy compared to the hard top, but not overly so, 3) you don't get beat up by the wind going 55+ mph, 4) I haven't taken out the rear windows yet, but they easily store in a bag that comes with the Jeep. I saw someone remove them and it took about a minute to remove and store them in the bag. 5) the top can be slow to close, but not overly slow, 6) cruising around town with the top retracted and windows down is a great feeling.

There are two cons thus far from what I can tell - the mopar grab handles do not fit and I do not know how great looking the Jeep will be with the top on (retracted), doors off, and back windows out.

Obviously, all of this is subjective. I hope someone finds the above useful.
Sponsored

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Completely agree with you. I have a 2019 JLU Sahara . Love this top so far as well as the family. So much more convenient. Enjoy your new ride!!!

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My 2018 JLUR was totaled by a jerk on his phone. So I had the opportunity for a re-do. In my 2018 i was always taking the freedom panels off because I love the open air driving. I have a very small garage and no where to store the hard top so I was never able to take it off. I figured the Sky One Touch would be perfect for my situation. And boy was I right. Had it less than a week but I absolutely love it and already taken the side panels out twice.

Sponsored

trail_runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring, 2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR

JeepWannaBe

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
I've dreamt of owning a wrangler since I was a teenager (decades ago) because I loved the open feel, especially the back of the car which differentiated it from a sunroof. I'm so torn because the convenience is so wonderful but that back portion stays on making it feel more like a double sunroof. What are current owners' feelings about this?

ekoii

First Name
Emmitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I love the Sky One-Touch. It gives me a lot of flexibility, allowing me to go from open air feel to closed top easily. I agree that the totally removed top looks better and if I were choosing just for looks, I'd go that way, but I don't have a lot of room or time to remove the top and store it. With the one-touch, I can react to weather changes here in Hawaii when the sun is shining on one half of the island but raining on the other. I have no regrets with the top. It may look a little "odd" as something new to the wrangler, but it works great for me.

2965.jpeg

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
The Sky One-Touch Power Top is so different from any other top. I raise and lower it 15 times a day.
I see more sun and wind than ever before. I never want to go back to either the soft top or the Freedom top.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you install them (how did you make them fit with the sky one-touch)? Pics?
Sorry for the delay in getting an answer to your question. You just thread the straps of the grab handle through the gap between the roll cage and the top itself. It is a tight fit. Here are the photos as well. You can see that it bunches up a little on the one side.

Edit: I failed to mention that I cut the excess Velcro off to make sure it fit, while the top operated smoothly. If you don't cut the extra Velcro, the top may scratch up against the Velcro when opening/closing.

Image-2.jpg

Image1.jpg

OP
OP

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's wrong with the factory pillar grab handles?
Nothing wrong with the pillar grab handles per se. From our experience, we aren't used to reaching for that location when seeking to hold/grab onto something. The pillar handles are excellent for getting in the vehicle.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Nothing wrong with the pillar grab handles per se. From our experience, we aren't used to reaching for that location when seeking to hold/grab onto something. The pillar handles are excellent for getting in the vehicle.
Ah I see, when they finally came out with factory pillar handles, I was like WOW FINALLY! You can swing in instead of your own arm getting in the way because every paracord grab handle is right on top of the doorway.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
I love the idea of the Sky Touch and not having to store pieces or go through folding a top down. Now that some of these have been out a little while I do have a couple of questions for those lucky enough to have them.
Always wondered how leak resistant it was in a downpour and if there is a manual release if the motor was to fail in the open position? Is there a release pin you can pull and manually slide it shut?

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I love the idea of the Sky Touch and not having to store pieces or go through folding a top down. Now that some of these have been out a little while I do have a couple of questions for those lucky enough to have them.
Always wondered how leak resistant it was in a downpour and if there is a manual release if the motor was to fail in the open position? Is there a release pin you can pull and manually slide it shut?
I do not believe there is. I guess you would have to tough it out, just like anybody who removes the Freedom Top and then receives an unplanned rain shower. I used to carry a roll of contractor trash bags for just such an occasion. (Trash bag ponchos) I drove a 66 Willy's that did not have a top .
Sponsored