robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, very torn here and looking for some advice. Background: I have dual tops that came with my moab, live in New England so the weather changes 8 times a day and I have a top lift pro. I really like the look pure topless look and not a fan of the extra hardware/rails of the soft top and how much of it still shows when down.

Now, i don't hate the soft top look contrary to above. I'm torn if I want to put the soft top on or sell and just use hard top via top lift pro. If there was an effective rain cover/bikini top that I could keep folded up in the back then my decision would be made but I have yet to find anything like that. Am I missing something that can be used in emergency rain storm? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, very torn here and looking for some advice. Background: I have dual tops that came with my moab, live in New England so the weather changes 8 times a day and I have a top lift pro. I really like the look pure topless look and not a fan of the extra hardware/rails of the soft top and how much of it still shows when down.

Now, i don't hate the soft top look contrary to above. I'm torn if I want to put the soft top on or sell and just use hard top via top lift pro. If there was an effective rain cover/bikini top that I could keep folded up in the back then my decision would be made but I have yet to find anything like that. Am I missing something that can be used in emergency rain storm? What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
I had purchased the Bestop TrekTop NX Glide on my JK (I think they have one for the JL). The frame folds back with the top (or comes off if you disconnect it). The only thing left would be the door frames which can also be removed quickly. The NX glide folds back on all the hardware behind the roll bar and in front of the spare. It can then be put up in just a couple minutes to become a bikini top, and it has a sunrider position as well.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Not much for advice here - I have all the same as you (Moab with dual tops and a TopLift pro). I just put my soft top on last week. Still getting used to how it looks compared to a body-colored hard top.
I thought it would be nice to have more of an emergency cover, but the ones I've seen wouldn't work while driving. I guess I'm OK with having the soft top on most of the time during warm months, maybe I'll strip it all the way down a few times if the mood hits me.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Not much for advice here - I have all the same as you (Moab with dual tops and a TopLift pro). I just put my soft top on last week. Still getting used to how it looks compared to a body-colored hard top.
I thought it would be nice to have more of an emergency cover, but the ones I've seen wouldn't work while driving. I guess I'm OK with having the soft top on most of the time during warm months, maybe I'll strip it all the way down a few times if the mood hits me.
Is the TopLife Pro totally worth it? I have hard time spending that much on the lift, after already spending $2K on accessories for my Sahara (which is shipped!). I went with the Harken Hoist, since it was only like $150. I figure I could put up with it, and if I have to, purchase something better down the road if the Harken just isn't the one.

OP
OP
robd1438

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Is the TopLife Pro totally worth it? I have hard time spending that much on the lift, after already spending $2K on accessories for my Sahara (which is shipped!). I went with the Harken Hoist, since it was only like $150. I figure I could put up with it, and if I have to, purchase something better down the road if the Harken just isn't the one.
I really like it. My garage is small and pretty tight so backing in to pull it up with a hoist would've been hard. The toplift allows me to take the top off outside and wheel it in.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Tough question to answer. The garage where I currently store the top only has an 8.5 feet ceiling, which would be problematic, and I don't own the garage (leased). TopLift Pro was one of few options that would work for me. It was a decent amount of money, but I will say it is built and works very well.
I really like it. My garage is small and pretty tight so backing in to pull it up with a hoist would've been hard. The toplift allows me to take the top off outside and wheel it in.
That's what I do too.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Tough question to answer. The garage where I currently store the top only has an 8.5 feet ceiling, which would be problematic, and I don't own the garage (leased). TopLift Pro was one of few options that would work for me. It was a decent amount of money, but I will say it is built and works very well.

That's what I do too.
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure my garage is tall enough and I have enough space. But man, I am not the most handy person in the world. I sit at a desk all day and am worried I can even pull this off. But I purchased a bunch of other accessories that I am going to do myself. I figure, it is never to late to learn. And I probably should, if I want to make this Jeep my own. Good thing my wife is a nurse...

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Just thought I would add, I have been using the Harken for about 10 years now and I have no problem with it. It is manual but it does the job, I can raise the top to my garage ceiling in about couple of minutes with very little effort. I also use it to raise the folded soft top and parts up in the winter time while the hard top is installed.

I screwed a dock cleat to the wall as an extra measure of safety and a place to hang the excess rope.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure my garage is tall enough and I have enough space. But man, I am not the most handy person in the world. I sit at a desk all day and am worried I can even pull this off. But I purchased a bunch of other accessories that I am going to do myself. I figure, it is never to late to learn. And I probably should, if I want to make this Jeep my own. Good thing my wife is a nurse...
I sit at a desk all day too, but that has nothing to do with it. You have a great resource here, and I would encourage you to find a local Jeep club. They can help with advice, and often have wrenching parties as well.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Just thought I would add, I have been using the Harken for about 10 years now and I have no problem with it. It is manual but it does the job, I can raise the top to my garage ceiling in about couple of minutes with very little effort. I also use it to raise the folded soft top and parts up in the winter time while the hard top is installed.

I screwed a dock cleat to the wall as an extra measure of safety and a place to hang the excess rope.
Thanks man! That makes me feel a little better about going with what seemed to be a cheap option. But Harken had good reviews, so I went with it.

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I sit at a desk all day too, but that has nothing to do with it. You have a great resource here, and I would encourage you to find a local Jeep club. They can help with advice, and often have wrenching parties as well.
A Jeep Club? I never realized such thing existed. I probably don't identify as the usual Jeep Club member. This will be my first one as I finally gave up on cars in our winter weather, but don't necessarily get excited for SUVs/Trucks. I've always loved the Wrangler and finally decided to pull the trigger. You have to become experienced somehow at some point, I suppose.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
A Jeep Club? I never realized such thing existed. I probably don't identify as the usual Jeep Club member. This will be my first one as I finally gave up on cars in our winter weather, but don't necessarily get excited for SUVs/Trucks. I've always loved the Wrangler and finally decided to pull the trigger. You have to become experienced somehow at some point, I suppose.
The Harken (at least 10 years ago) came with a great set of instructions. The hardest part for me was getting the knots tied and they even show you how to do them. I just don't do knot tying very well.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There's no "usual" member. My club has all types in it. It's really easy to get into the Jeep.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a quick search I found Titletown Jeepers and Wisconsin Jeepers through google.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
On a quick search I found Titletown Jeepers and Wisconsin Jeepers through google.
Thanks! Titletown (Green Bay, obviously), is only 30 minutes away. I'll definitely check it out.
Sponsored