Sponsored

Are you getting dedicated winter tires for your Rubicon?

Are you getting dedicated winter tires for your Rubicon?

• Total voters

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The BFG KO2s that come stock on the Rubicon already have a winter snowpeak rating.

But are you still going to get dedicated winter tires?

If so, tell us which kind in this thread.

P.S. Please only answer the poll if you live somewhere cold enough where you'd normally get winter tires on your car. Or answer how you would answer if you lived somewhere cold.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Preface: I live in Chicago and, depending on the vehicle, usually swap to snows for the winter. I doubt I will have a JL before this winter is over and will probably retire next year and move somewhere that doesn't snow. But - IF I am still here I would stick with the KO2's.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
No. I switched from Falken Wild Peaks to KO2 for the fact I didn't have to change tires in the winter. My KO2s did great last winter so no plans to make any changes.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
No but I am swapping the tires out for 315/70/17 Duratracs which are also 4 season rated.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Ape, you're not getting dedicated winters?

Sponsored

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I’m not sure which tire I’ll get, but I will run winters. I like the added sure-footedness, and the break on my insurance costs.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Ape, you're not getting dedicated winters?
Just to clarify. I run 3 sets of tyres now (Rubicon take-offs w/ rims, stock SilentArmors as in-town winters, and studded GY Territory for work on hill and winter off-roading). I will likely continue this trend with the JLU.

The wuestion becomes what tyres come with the JLU I get, special edition offering, etc.

The KO2s would be fine/better replacements than the SilentArmor for a general in-town winter tyre IMO, so as a $0 option they are good. For my moeny though I’d prefer the Duratracs or Nokian LTs, but that’s my preference having used all 3. But I would still be looking for a serious winter off-road tyre if the Territorys can’t be esily adapted.

I’m concerned that the Sahara’s listed GY Adventure Kevlars are not the LT version, as only the LTs are Mountain Snowflake Rated, so with the plan currently being the Sahara with SelecTrac, and there not being a Special Edition Winter model that I’ve seen, I am thinking that I might be swapping them for some Rubicon take-off KO2s or another option which I would consider at the time. But if the Sahara came with capable tyres like the KO2s, then I would likely keep them and swap them for Duratracs or Nokians once worn out.

Riviera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2022 WL75
While the snowflake/mountain does mean that the tire is a true four season tire, a winter specific tire will still perform better in wintry conditions. I ran blizzaks on my 12 Sahara, and they were fantastic. I sold them to a buddy when we sold our Wrangler and he said he preferred the blizzaks over his duratracs on pavement.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
KO2's are awesome tires, had then on my JK, if you rotate all 5 you will go forever on these things. I had 45k on mine and at trade in time, was told by appraiser that they looked new! I also got though the blizzard of 2015 no problem! (Bout 3 feet of snow).

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
KO2's are one of the if not THE top rated AT tire for snow.
Just like how DWS06 is one of THE top rated A/S tires for snow.
(I do a lot of googling on best NON winter tires for snow)

Sponsored

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
I have Firestone Winterforce LT on winter wheels on my Recon, will use those on the JL too. The KO2s are certainly an improvement over the KMs for winter, but on ice you can't beat a dedicated winter tire with appropriate compound and sipes. I might get a Blizzak if I had to do it again, and maybe when I pick up the JL I'll leave the KO2 on till first snow storm and compare them to my winters.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
From St Louis, so we get a little snow/ice, but not much. So I'm thinking of getting winter wheels/tires (blizzaks?) or similar for winter as we are 0-30F 3 months of the year. I've heard that compound handles well, but never had them.

Thoughts on cold roads without much snow?

And for OP, I didn't vote :like:

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
From St Louis, so we get a little snow/ice, but not much. So I'm thinking of getting winter wheels/tires (blizzaks?) or similar for winter as we are 0-30F 3 months of the year. I've heard that compound handles well, but never had them.

Thoughts on cold roads without much snow?

And for OP, I didn't vote :like:
The tire manufacturers will say that winter tires will be better at any temp below 7 C = 45 F. But that's frankly bullshit and they just want to sell more tires.

If there's ice and snow on the ground, whatever the temperature, winter tires will be much better.

Also, on dry pavement, when it dips below say 0 F, the rubber on all-seasons will start to get very hard, and at that point, having winters will be better than all-seasons on dry pavement as well.

It's up to you if you think you get enough ice/snow and enough subzero F temps to justify winter tires. Also, I would consider whether you have the option to not drive when it's really bad weather outside, or if you have to drive no matter what the weather is for your job.

From what you've described about St. Louis, if it were myself, I would probably just stick with the KO2s.

Blizzaks are very good tires.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks BillyHW!

Coming from a sedan, people swear by winter tires for added cold temp dry traction and use with some snow. I'm guessing K02s would be just fine, but I'm also used to really good hard brakes in my M3! The wrangler will never stop that fast, and I wont expect it lol.

I never bought winter wheels, but always had it on my wish list. I always managed with RWD manual, drove spouse in (AWD) once a year, or can just work from home.

I don't think it's a must have like those up north. The winter setup would be a nice to have, so wondered if the dry grip under 45 (per mfr and anecdotal drivers) was highly reliable.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Thanks BillyHW!

Coming from a sedan, people swear by winter tires for added cold temp dry traction and use with some snow. I'm guessing K02s would be just fine, but I'm also used to really good hard brakes in my M3! The wrangler will never stop that fast, and I wont expect it lol.

I never bought winter wheels, but always had it on my wish list. I always managed with RWD manual, drove spouse in (AWD) once a year, or can just work from home.

I don't think it's a must have like those up north. The winter setup would be a nice to have, so wondered if the dry grip under 45 (per mfr and anecdotal drivers) was highly reliable.

Unfortunately he only tested at 24 F, which isn't that cold. I really start to notice the difference between winters and all-seasons around 0 F, at which point winters are much better on dry pavement.

This is where I live right now:

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 9.53.46 AM.png

-37 C = -35 F in case you were wondering.
Sponsored