Spare tire carrier delete

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I'm going to install @Artec spare tire delete and add an all black Jeep license plate b/c I'm keeping my tag on the OEM steel bumpers. I'm waiting for the weather and time to install. What I like about it is the correct height and angle of the camera, the use of the OEM brake light, the aluminum and its compact protrusion from the tailgate.

Artec Spare Tire Delete Plate.jpeg

Jeep Tag.jpeg

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got the Artec Spare Tire Delete installed. It was pretty easy. The use of the stock brake light, camera angle, aluminum material, and clean look make me think this is the best option available. It even looks finished without moving the license plate or adding a decorative license plate.
95727579.png
IMG_20190318_100522.jpg
IMG_20190318_100656.jpg

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I finally got the Artec Spare Tire Delete installed. It was pretty easy. The use of the stock brake light, camera angle, aluminum material, and clean look make me think this is the best option available. It even looks finished without moving the license plate or adding a decorative license plate.
95727579.png
IMG_20190318_100522.jpg
IMG_20190318_100656.jpg
Very nice! I did one of the first Ace installs, this looks way better than mine. Much better camera angle, too. Congrats!

Question: Does the tail gate vent still have enough airflow to equalize when doors are closed with windows up? Hard to see vent holes in the fabricated piece

Sponsored

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice! I did one of the first Ace installs, this looks way better than mine. Much better camera angle, too. Congrats!

Question: Does the tail gate vent still have enough airflow to equalize when doors are closed with windows up? Hard to see vent holes in the fabricated piece
The air vent does indeed have enough airflow to equalize cabin pressure. I’m still running without the interior tailgate trim piece (I’m waiting for a wiring failure as I later move the license plate and corresponding wiring with LED light bolts from Rugged Ridge, lol) and can see the white flaps open and shut. The delete plate itself has holes on the bottom edge, a wire hole on the side, and small air gaps on each side (the sides of the plate don’t sit flush against the tailgate like the top & bottom do) to allow free air flow.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The air vent does indeed have enough airflow to equalize cabin pressure. I’m still running without the interior tailgate trim piece (I’m waiting for a wiring failure as I later move the license plate and corresponding wiring with LED light bolts from Rugged Ridge, lol) and can see the white flaps open and shut. The delete plate itself has holes on the bottom edge, a wire hole on the side, and small air gaps on each side (the sides of the plate don’t sit flush against the tailgate like the top & bottom do) to allow free air flow.
Sounds like a really nice design. Thanks for the detail!

developerlaw

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392; 2022 McLaren; 2023 Range Rover
58939779_2242530982479569_1707260877528367104_n.jpg

I used this one: Body Guard Spare Tire Delete www.bodyguardbumpers.com/18-Jeep-JL-spare-tire-delete

I do not recommend wiring per the instructions because it taps off the right rear brake light. Since you need to unplug the harness for the OEM license location, I tapped into the factory harness and ran power to the new location. Also, the Body Guard kit does not specify that it comes with LED lights for the license plate but they are in the kit and work great.

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Quick question: When you remove the spare tire, does it has in impact on the performance, such as handling (less weight on rear axis) and fuel economy?

I currently have a 37' wheel (>100 lbs) on the spare mount and I can tell that compared to the stock spare handling changed.

ericpascual

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I'm going to order this as well if my factory wheels sell. I just don't trust my heavy wheel/tire combo on the back, and I'm sure with time there will be a rear bumper or carrier I like available.
Let us know how the factory camera needs to be modified to fit.
What rear bumper delete is that?

Sponsored

ericpascual

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm currently trying to assess this situation. I'm the phone with ace engineering now asking about their "JL Gatekeeper" because I'm lifting and going 37s and I don't want to mount a 37 on the tire carrier. I'd rather just wait til DV8 launches their tire carrier. This is ace engineering's product.

5E004AC5-3729-40AF-9D10-3E2DAC36A3F6.png
What rear bumper cover is that?

ericpascual

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm currently trying to assess this situation. I'm the phone with ace engineering now asking about their "JL Gatekeeper" because I'm lifting and going 37s and I don't want to mount a 37 on the tire carrier. I'd rather just wait til DV8 launches their tire carrier. This is ace engineering's product.

5E004AC5-3729-40AF-9D10-3E2DAC36A3F6.png
What rear bumper cover is that

tswillys

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Love this Artec Industries rear tire delete. Back up camera works great and gives the rear a nice custom look!!

Jeep 5.jpg

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've gone back and forth on this so much, pretty sure I'm gonna do it. TBH the only thing stopping me is the potential ridicule from the Wrangler purists. At the end of the day, it's my Jeep, so I'm gonna build it my way. Good luck to anyone else trying to decide.

tswillys

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've gone back and forth on this so much, pretty sure I'm gonna do it. TBH the only thing stopping me is the potential ridicule from the Wrangler purists. At the end of the day, it's my Jeep, so I'm gonna build it my way. Good luck to anyone else trying to decide.
That's what makes every Jeep different, your own taste!!
Sponsored