Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I went with the Rubicon 1) because I really wanted the off-road capability without having to mod it. 2) went with the lifetime warranty and the fewer major mods the better to keep the warranty valid 3) I consider the Rubicon as insurance to help me get out of what my ego got me into. (Never wanna hear that inner voice telling me "Son... your ego's writing checks your vehicle can't cash...").
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Hmmm, my 2018 JLU Sahara was $47,900, my son in law's JLU Rubi, same options except he has two tops was 53K couple months later?? That's a lot more $$$ for a guy that does not do 1/4 if that, of the off road that I do?

I do think if you are not an extreme off roader and only want to mildly modify your rig but want a little fancy Sahara will work! Or now perhaps the Moab...kinda pricey but modified mildly already. Want those front lockers no discussion Rubicon is what you need!

The discussion continues!!!! lol

Go Jeep!!!

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
That's trippy, you can seriously get auto4wd in a Rubicon over there? I wish they'd do that stateside!
Yes.. 4.10 ratio, 44 axles, lockers and 4Auto

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Look, you mentioned it is 5000 more. So right off, the question is your statement about “you get so much more”. If what you get isn’t what you want- why pay for it?

But the bigger question is why you left the sport out. If you are all about off-roading, many pick the sport because you are going to scrap the stock stuff anyway. I always chuckle a bit when Rubi owners stand by their off-road prowess, but end up removing everything that made it different from the factory. And if you don’t, I’ve seen and driven plenty regular upgraded models that torch stock rubis on the trail.

Fact is, if you are asking this question, I would lean to stating that you aren’t intending to hit the trails heavily and the extra bits are going to be utilized for looks and bragging rights. Only you can decide if that’s worth 5000 bucks more.
Look, you mentioned it is 5000 more. So right off, the question is your statement about “you get so much more”. If what you get isn’t what you want- why pay for it?

But the bigger question is why you left the sport out. If you are all about off-roading, many pick the sport because you are going to scrap the stock stuff anyway. I always chuckle a bit when Rubi owners stand by their off-road prowess, but end up removing everything that made it different from the factory. And if you don’t, I’ve seen and driven plenty regular upgraded models that torch stock rubis on the trail.

Fact is, if you are asking this question, I would lean to stating that you aren’t intending to hit the trails heavily and the extra bits are going to be utilized for looks and bragging rights. Only you can decide if that’s worth 5000 bucks more.
BLAM!

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I thought I'd add my two cents in, since I ended up getting a Sahara over the Rubicon. Yes, I would love a Rubicon. So much so, my wife asked me multiple times if I'd be okay not getting one. The fact of the matter is that, for what we need, the Sahara was the better choice for us. I wanted a vehicle that I could take on longer road trips, go hiking/camping, do some occasional offroading, and never feel like I was going to get stuck in inclement weather. The Sahara's running boards actually make it much easier to get in and out of every day (although I'm thinking these will have to be upgraded soon) over the Rubicon's rock sliders. My opinion? Be honest with what you need out of your vehicle. If that includes the upgraded equipment on a Rubicon, then get that. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, a Sport or Sahara will be great and allow you to upgrade it as you see fit.

Sponsored

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Let me just start by saying that I'm a poser. My jeeps hardly got muddy and when they did, I washed them. My former jeep was a 2013 Sport S. No complaints- did all and more than I ever needed. Of course I had to get a steel front bumper, winch, lights, 2" lift. You all know what I mean. After 2 years, rusted front bumper, bugs stuck in the light grills, unused winch with a nasty sun-bleached cover, bag in the back taking up room with straps, gloves, block, tree saver - all the shit. After 2 more years, I pulled all the aftermarket stuff off - left the 2" lift. - put the nice plastic coated bumper back on, sold the stuff and life went on.
Love watching those jeep videos on You Tube. It will never be me.
I like the way a jeep looks, I like the ride, I like sitting in the drivers seat, I like having 4 wheel drive,I like taking the doors off, and I like washing and waxing it.
All that said, I got a 2019 Sahara. Liked the 4 auto. Actually, that was the big reason for not getting another Sport. We have winter here and I've got a long, uphill, curvy driveway. Used 4 auto a number of times - love it. Put the jeep in 4 hi and low once - just to see if it worked.
For off-road, I hike.
Have to add, Don't think I've ever gone to a mall in my jeeps. Grocery and Walmart but no mall - and I park way, away from everyone. Take the wife's car when we go to a mall (seldom).
My next wrangler may be a Rubicon- if I can get it with selectrac and rear cup holders

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Sahara's are for soccer dads

If you want a mans Jeep it comes at a premium
Ha, “mans Jeep”, extra couple thousand for lockers and sway bar disconnect and a hideous red dash and some hood stickers. What a joke.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Hmmm, my 2018 JLU Sahara was $47,900, my son in law's JLU Rubi, same options except he has two tops was 53K couple months later?? That's a lot more $$$ for a guy that does not do 1/4 if that, of the off road that I do?
In fairness, dual tops is a $2k option, so the cost difference is $3k, and I bet he makes most if not all of that up on resale some day.

I was a Jeep newbie, so I went Sport S. I didn't need the extra "luxury" stuff in the Sahara (though the LEDs and 8.4" screen woulda been nice), and I don't need the extra capability of the Rubicon. I wish I did, but I live in a place where I MIGHT be able to use it 3 days a year, just not worth it to me. If I was buying today, I probably would nut up for the Rubi, just because it's the coolest version, but I don't regret not buying it, it would be more a cool factor than anything actually lacking in my Jeep.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Saharas are WAY SUPERIOR at taking trips to the mall. The Rubicon bucks and fights these trips to shopping centers. It really hates smooth finished pavement. So for taking trips to the mall, the Sahara is way way better.
That's an interesting comment. In the past week, I've seen dirtier/muddier Sahara's than I have Rubicons.

Are you suggesting that every single person that has a Rubicon takes it offroad? There is a dude in my neighborhood that hasn't even let his Rubi hit a gravel road, much less dirt road.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Same reason I got Sahara- Limited slip in the snow with 95% on road driving. Don't need lockers/auto sway bar disconnect as I am not rock crawling in Ohio....
Ditto. The 5% off road driving I'll do is light trails and/or access roads back to a blind, or trail head. Nothing the Sahara isn't more than capable of handling. LSD in the snow is much more logical for me than lockers, and additional off-road stuff. Plus I save $3K-$5K in the process.

But the bigger question is why you left the sport out. If you are all about off-roading, many pick the sport because you are going to scrap the stock stuff anyway. ...
I completely agree with this too. If you don't want those features why pay more for them? If you're going really extreme why not get the Sport (S)? Can't leave that option out, because for some people it's a better choice.

4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD PART TIME 4WD - Selec-Trac AWD is better for us snowbound folks.
PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION - Rougher ride, didn't care for it. No thanks.
DANA 44HD WIDE AXLE F&R - Don't need it, not getting giant tires.
TRU-LOK FRONT & REAR AXLES - Don't need it, Sahara/Sport are more than capable than I'll ever need.
FRONT DISCONNECTING STABILIZER BAR - No need to disconnect the stablizier, I'll see nothing more than light trails.
ROCK PROTECTION SILL RAILS - Don't need it, not rock crawling.
TRANSFER CASE SKID PLATE SHIELD - Don't need it, will only see light trails.
TRANSMISSION SKID PLATE - Don't need it, will only see light trails.
FUEL TANK SKID PLATE SHIELD - Don't need it, will only see light trails.
High Rise Fenders - Don't need it, not getting giant tires.
POWER DOME HOOD_Vented - Want it.
LT 285/70R17C - Okay with the rim/tire combo. Could take it, could leave it.

I find these to be well worth the premium one pays for the Rubicon. However, to many people on the forum this is overkill. Spending $5,000 on things that they don't need or even want is wasteful,......
You nailed it. Of the list, only the last two are worth any extra to me. The hood is great, and I'd love it, but not for $5K. The rims/tires are nice, but also not worth several thousand dollars. Especially considering many Rubi owners take them off, and a patient person can get them for $1K.
So yes, you are exactly right. For some people that extra cost is wasteful. I'm one such person, and I know I'm not alone.

If you want the best if both worlds, get a Moab. The ultimate Wrangler!
Had this been available when I bought mine, I probably would have bought one.

So I’m suppose to spend an extra 6k to have something I will never use? Scratching my head. Kind of like when my wife gets a coupon for buy one get 50% of a second Toaster. She didn’t save 50%, she spent 50% more on something she didn’t need. I’m cool with having a Jeep I will never drive through Moab...i don’t need to spends extra just to say I have a rubicon. My bloods red, I breath oxygen, and I will die just like the rest of the Jones
Amen to that. I stopped caring what the Joneses thought a long time ago. I may have a "mall crawler" but I'm happy with it. If the Joneses want to spend extra for bragging rights, good for them. Their money they can do what they want with it. I'm just not spending extra for stuff just to say I have it though.

...... Have to add, Don't think I've ever gone to a mall in my jeeps. Grocery and Walmart but no mall - and I park way, away from everyone. Take the wife's car when we go to a mall (seldom).
My next wrangler may be a Rubicon- if I can get it with selectrac and rear cup holders
Are there even any malls open anymore? Around here they all seem to have closed up.
As for the cup holder. You can add that for something like $40. There's a thread here on the forum about it. I did it, and it's great.

Ha, “mans Jeep”, extra couple thousand for lockers and sway bar disconnect and a hideous red dash and some hood stickers. What a joke.
OMG, that dash!!!!! You're so right. I hate that dash. I think you can actually order the Rubi with a silver dash though.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
We already have 23 pages on this very issue but hey, why not start another dead horse thread! LOL

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...se-to-buy-anything-other-than-a-rubicon.2628/
LOL, man I'm with ya. "What's in my lunchbox is better than what's in your lunchbox".

I thought all jeepers were cool peeps until I signed up for this website. Now, it's about 40/60 (meaning 40% has good info/insights). The rest is pretty much stating why you should buy a rubi, LOL.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is.. never say never, I thought the same before I purchased my JLU Sahara, "I'm never going to off-road anyways, this is overkill" actually even before I was looking at Wranglers I was almost going to pull the trigger on a Subaru Forester because I thought all I'm going to do is drive on snowy roads during the winter. But fast forward half a year later, proud owner of my JL, got it modded and lifted, I'm looking for off-road trails, buying backroad maps, joining 4x4 clubs, planning for my Jeep off-road adventures every weekend. So, yes your lifestyle will actually change as you move forward and adjust with what you have.

So in hindsight, yes I never thought of going off-roading because that was the old me who didn't own any off-road capable vehicles, but now I did, I can see myself going to more serious off-road adventures. Now, I'm planning to trade in my Sahara for Rubicon sometime down the road to adjust to my newly-found interest.
This is a very good point. Its an addiction, once you pop you just can't stop.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I think another factor to consider is your mechanical skill. If I bought a sport or sahara and wanted to add lockers and a track bar and gearing and what not later I would have had to pay a shop a lot of money in service time aside from parts. If I had mechanical skill and knowledge I would have considered a sport and done my own work. I am what I call a bolt on mechanic - If it requires just some straight up bolts and not too many tools I will do the install.
I have installed a steering dampener, rear bumper and tire carrier, rock sliders, and some lights. I had my dealer do the front bumper/winch and mopar 2" lift.

So even if the parts to bring a sport to a rubicon is only $2000 the cost to have a shop install might cost a few thousand more if your like me and have to pay someone to do it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think another factor to consider is your mechanical skill. If I bought a sport or sahara and wanted to add lockers and a track bar and gearing and what not later I would have had to pay a shop a lot of money in service time aside from parts. If I had mechanical skill and knowledge I would have considered a sport and done my own work. I am what I call a bolt on mechanic - If it requires just some straight up bolts and not too many tools I will do the install.
I have installed a steering dampener, rear bumper and tire carrier, rock sliders, and some lights. I had my dealer do the front bumper/winch and mopar 2" lift.

So even if the parts to bring a sport to a rubicon is only $2000 the cost to have a shop install might cost a few thousand more if your like me and have to pay someone to do it.
We are in the same ballpark haha.
Sponsored