Sponsored

If you're going off-road, protect that front differential from damage/leaking!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Damaging the drain plug is only one element of concern. Damaging the diff covers is another real concern for many.
Sure but wouldn't a thicker cover address that?
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Sure but wouldn't a thicker cover address that?
Yes! However, the thicker diff cover and hardware would take direct hits and potentially become damaged. As such, I personally would rather use a skid plate for protection.

Install what will suit your need(s) and preference(s).

Last edited:

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I have the Metalcloak rear ordered, and the Rancho front. once Metalcloak comes out with the front I will swap out the Ranco one for the Metalcloak one. I also have the full Undercloak skid system, and the Rock Hard LCA skids ordered.

after sliding under the JLUR, I was shocked at how exposed everything was. seems like FCA got everything wrong in regards to rock protection.

1. front and rear diff, easy to trash due to drain plug location and ridges.
2. no skid for oil pan or transmission.
3. exhaust loop vulnerable
4. FAD not the best protection
5. STEERING STABILIZER LOCATION SUCKS
6. muffler easy target
7. coolant lines on the 2.0 rear battery. (I have the 3.6, so the one does not impact me)

I'm sure I am missing more, and not counting how the rear bumper and Rubicon rock rails damage the body tub due to flex.

while the Jeep can do so much off-road, there is a good chance of damage that you would expect would be protected against (especially in a Rubicon)
The ridges at least on my diff in the rear are a non issue. They were in the jk for sure I peeled them back my first or second outing but the jl at least from what I've witnessed isn't as much of an issue. I dont have a lip sticking out to peel like my jkr did.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I did research actually, and had planned to order a lot of this stuff. that has no impact on poor design, and why the aftermarket is so important forma vehicle like this. FCA is going to build as cheap as they can to meet the minimum requirements to sell the vehicle.

while you may never need these additional protections based your use, a lot do. in fact quite a few people are already having issues with the drain plug on the diff etc. also, the front stabilizer has been fubar by quite a few as well.

these items are easy fixes, aftermarket takes care of it. however, it is not expecting too much for a manufacturer that only does a redesign every 10 years or so to think of these things, at least on the Model that is designed to be used for harder off-road trails like the Rubicon.
Why would Jeep add all of that stuff, which is easily handled by the aftermarket, when 95% of JL purchasers will never, ever use it for serious rock crawling? Sure Mopar could offer a rockcrawling kit and it would probably cost double what aftermarket can provide.

Why did they put the drain plug there? So it is easy to access when you want to drain it.

These aren't poor design decisions and they aren't simply to keep the Jeep as cheap as possible (although that is certainly a factor).

It's simply a matter of what the majority of the customers actually want. You claim "a lot do" but all you are really talking about is the very small proportion of buyers that take their rigs of the road.

Don't get upset that the JLU is increasingly a mall-crawler. Without the huge increase in sales that the Unlimited brought to the Jeep brand the future production of Wrangler's could very much have been in doubt.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Can anyone verify exactly what diff covers I can use on a 2018 JL Moab? I am confused when looking online, I am new to Jeeps. I see Dana 30, Dana 35 covers for the front and Dana 44 for the rear. I know the rear is a Dana 44, but what covers can I use for the front M186 diff?

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Why did they put the drain plug there? So it is easy to access when you want to drain it.
I replaced the diff covers on my 99 XJ that pretty much only sees street and beach duty with my sister. I put thicker aluminum covers with drain plugs and installed Lube Lockers on them. Why? For the exact reason mentioned above.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Matson from Metalcloak said that their front diff skid would be in production in another month or so.
Any reason one would use theirs instead of the Rancho piece? Curious....

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Any reason one would use theirs instead of the Rancho piece? Curious....
Honestly, I actually have the front and rear Rancho units, now. Was thinking to go all Metalcloak down the road. However, per Matson at Metalcloak, their new front skid plate will integrate into the front diff cover, which is the same as the Rancho set-up.

With the above noted, I may simply keep the Rancho front and rear plates and run the rest Metalcloak.

Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Can anyone verify exactly what diff covers I can use on a 2018 JL Moab? I am confused when looking online, I am new to Jeeps. I see Dana 30, Dana 35 covers for the front and Dana 44 for the rear. I know the rear is a Dana 44, but what covers can I use for the front M186 diff?
Front axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 30 aka M186

Rear axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 35 aka M200

Rubicon has Dana 44 aka M210 front and M220 rear.

Now, if you have limited slip diff on Sport/Sahara/Moab, you’ll have a 44 in the rear (220).

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Front axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 30 aka M186

Rear axles on Sport/Sahara/Moab are Dana 35 aka M200

Rubicon has Dana 44 aka M210 front and M220 rear.

Now, if you have limited slip diff on Sport/Sahara/Moab, you’ll have a 44 in the rear (220).
Thank you for this!!
Sponsored