link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the MISHIMOTO location but too long hoses?, UPR more functional?
Which one should I get?

UPR:
18-jeep-wrangler-3-6-billet-oil-catch-can-1.png.jpeg

MISHIMOTO
MG_5895.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I prefer the MISHIMOTO location but too long hoses?, UPR more functional?
Which one should I get?
@Sierra

I'd say neither, and will comment no further in this thread.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
@Sierra

I'd say neither, and will comment no further in this thread.
I agree.

Its a can that catches blow by not a critical part. If you want to get one and like one brands location over the other then go with that. There is no benefit one holds over the others other then location / convenience / design which all are personal preference.

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Its a can that catches blow by not a critical part. If you want to get one and like one brands location over the other then go with that. There is no benefit one holds over the others other then location / convenience / design which all are personal preference.[/QUOTE]

A) Blow-by is a very critical part as it will reduce the rating of the octane and allow cause a weaker and diluted combustion. The lower octane can cause detonation in rock crawling and towing as well as daily driving. The cleaner the fuel mixture the stronger the combustion. The only reason a lot of JEEP owners see such great results with Catch Cans is that they burn a lot of oil.

The oil that gets ingested reduces overall performance and reduces the life of your plugs and impedes airflow as it gums up the intake and runners. These are just a few of the things that blowby does and why it should be properly addressed. Of course, you can run without a Catch Can. But why would you want to knowing the effects of lowering octane and poor combustion?

B) Catch Cans are different and have different diffusers and internal coalescing chambers. Not to mention the flow rate of a catch can is critical as it will determine how much restriction it creates and thew more restriction will reduce vacuum in the crankcase and that will reduce overall performance vs a higher flowing less restrictive catch can.

Benefits can be compared by the ease of installation and servicing as well as how good it controls oil. The simplicity of installation and mounting location are also two important factors. It's also a nice thing when you have all OEM style fittings and no clamps or tools required to drain/empty your Catch Can.

I just wanted to share a bit of info on this and be sure to read part B for choosing a catch can.

Joe

Last edited:

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Not to mention the flow rate of a catch can is critical as it will determine how much restriction it creates and thew more restriction will reduce vacuum in the crankcase and that will reduce overall performance vs a higher flowing less restrictive catch can.
Thanks for info, Joe. Can you comment on how we would be able to compare the flow rates? I see no info on either the UPR or the Mishimoto catch can flow rates.

OP
OP
Sierra

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

B) Catch Cans are different and have different diffusers and internal coalescing chambers. Not to mention the flow rate of a catch can is critical as it will determine how much restriction it creates and thew more restriction will reduce vacuum in the crankcase and that will reduce overall performance vs a higher flowing less restrictive catch can.

Benefits can be compared by the ease of installation and servicing as well as how good it controls oil. The simplicity of installation and mounting location are also two important factors. It's also a nice thing when you have all OEM style fittings and no clamps or tools required to drain/empty your Catch Can.

I just wanted to share a bit of info on this and be sure to read part B for choosing a catch can.

Joe
Thanks for info, Joe :flag:

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
On a stock engine I'd get the cheapest one you can find. On a boosted engine it get a little more complicated with check valves but for what they are I think they are overpriced.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Spend your money on something uselful :lipssealed: wasn’t me.. :CWL:

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Spend your money on something uselful :lipssealed: wasn’t me.. :CWL:
I’m curious why you think a catch can is not useful? Not debating, but looking for your perspective.

Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m curious why you think a catch can is not useful? Not debating, but looking for your perspective.
I have only seen one 3.6 gummed up .. looked like they changed the oil about every 20k .. others I have seen with normal routine maintenance, where clean.. so the small amount that passes through the system and burns can’t be a problem or the engineers would make a fix

I think it has a purpose, just not buying into the hype .. would rather spend money on something else

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Get your hands dirty and pull some intake manifolds before you dismiss a catch can.
I didn’t dismiss it.. just don’t see the need for me.. not trying to tell others what to do

As far as getting my hands dirty .. how do you know I haven’t

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I am starting to think of it more in line with those that run synthetic oil in engines that don't specifically require it. Though it is not needed, it is peace of mind for some. I don't see so many people telling others they're wasting their money when running synthetic...apples to apples in my book.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I didn’t dismiss it.. just don’t see the need for me.. not trying to tell others what to dodad

As far as getting my hands dirty .. how do you know I haven’t
As i said, not directed at anyone.
Sponsored