Sponsored

One Confusing part of the Rubicon vs. Sahara question.

StevieKicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none yet
I was looking at an online build of a Jeep with everything that I wanted from a Sahara, the LED lights, the 8.4 inch Uconnect and the cold weather group. In British Columbia, Canada a 2019 Sahara comes to $62,192 CAD after sales tax.

A 2019 Rubicon is $67,850 CAD, so a $5658CAD differences, It seems like the extra equipment and capability of the Rubicon is worth much more than that price difference so why would someone want a Sahara over a Rubicon when it seems like you're getting so much more for your money? What options or capability does a Sahara have that you can't get with a Rubicon?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The only options available on a Sahara that aren't on a Rubicon in NA are the selec-trac 4wd auto transfer case and CV joints on the front axle, and the leather dash.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I was looking at an online build of a Jeep with everything that I wanted from a Sahara, the LED lights, the 8.4 inch Uconnect and the cold weather group. In British Columbia, Canada a 2019 Sahara comes to $62,192 CAD after sales tax.

A 2019 Rubicon is $67,850 CAD, so a $5658CAD differences, It seems like the extra equipment and capability of the Rubicon is worth much more than that price difference so why would someone want a Sahara over a Rubicon when it seems like you're getting so much more for your money? What options or capability does a Sahara have that you can't get with a Rubicon?
It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you have every intention of taking it offroad and exploring backroads and getting lost, the Rubicon is better suited for the unknown. The Rubicon also has the D44 front and rear with factory 4.10 gearing which will be more useful if you ever decided to put larger tires on. Not that you can't put larger tires on a Sahara or sport, but you'll have to regear sooner than a Rubicon. The biggest option that a Sahara has that a Rubicon doesn't is the Auto 4wd transfer case, sort or a set it and forget it. You can set it in Auto 4wd and the jeep will make the decision whether it needs 4wd or not, especially in the snow. Other than that, everything else on the Sahara is available on the Rubicon.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL

Sahara's are for soccer dads

If you want a mans Jeep it comes at a premium

530->408jeepney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Sahara bias over here. Personally it just depends on what you intend to do with your rig. I only tend to do trail runs and light off-roading no rock crawling. I don’t need the off road perks of the rubi. As long as it’s a stick I’m happy and I really think I made the right decision.

Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
The only options available on a Sahara that aren't on a Rubicon in NA are the selec-trac 4wd auto transfer case and CV joints on the front axle, and the leather dash.
Could you explain it like I'm 5 when it comes to the CV joints. I've read a few things about this but can't find a concrete forum explanation

So the Rubicon has U joints? And this is inferior? If so, why on the rubicon?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Could you explain it like I'm 5 when it comes to the CV joints. I've read a few things about this but can't find a concrete forum explanation

So the Rubicon has U joints? And this is inferior? If so, why on the rubicon?
I’m interested in a good answer as well but my current understanding is that the U-joints are repairable on the trail. If a CV joint gets trashed you are screwed. That’s from reading comments on here. Have no idea if any of that is valid.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not inferior. Just different. CV joints are a bit smoother but more complicated to work on.

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
I was all " Gun Ho" on a Rubi when I went to multiple dealers to purchase. I went with the fully loaded Sahara. It all come down to how you drive the Jeep. Me personally this is my everyday vehicle that I use to go to work. Weekends light off roading and trails. The 4 auto was outstanding in NJ in the snow and took the guess work out of having to worry about placing in into 4wd. The Sahara is a very capable Jeep with a great refined interior.

Good luck with your decision. Just go with your gut.

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
What’s the last product you bought knowing you’d never use it? That’s kind of how I feel about lockers. I’d rather put the money I save into a family vacation or college savings. :)

“It seems like you’re getting so much more for your money” - then buy the rubicon. Note, it may not seem the same to others.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

that $5000 difference is actually more like $1000 once you start upgrading parts, your rubicon take offs are worth their weight in gold on the used market. but Sahara take offs?? Crickets.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I chose the Sahara because I wanted the limited slip rear differential. The lockers on the Rubicon are nice, but the LSD is more useful for the reality of my driving. If I were off roading 50% or more of the time, the Rubicon would have been a no brainer, but seriously I offroad 1% or less of the miles I put on it. And, quite honestly, this Sahara is a beast offroad. I didn't even push it's limits, yet I was incredibly impressed.

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect

Saharas are WAY SUPERIOR at taking trips to the mall. The Rubicon bucks and fights these trips to shopping centers. It really hates smooth finished pavement. So for taking trips to the mall, the Sahara is way way better.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
that $5000 difference is actually more like $1000 once you start upgrading parts, your rubicon take offs are worth their weight in gold on the used market. but Sahara take offs?? Crickets.
Sahara takeoffs are a little more difficult to sell, but still possible. I sold my Sahara side steps and wheels/tires for $700. I bought rubi takeoff rock rails, trailer hitch, and wheels/tires for $850. Well worth $150 for the upgrade.
Sponsored