Rancho vs. Rock Krawler vs. JKS sway bar links

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I ordered and received the Rancho disconnects. They look to be of solid build, but I had issues on the install that prevented me from completing the project. I followed the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. I got the 2 relocation brackets on the axle mounted and went to install the links and realized they are way too long. I cannot shorten them enough to fit between the sway and axle. The relocation brackets actually raise the connect point which in turn shortens the link. The Rancho links at their shortest point are 3/4" longer than the OEM links. I don't see how that will work.
I've emailed tech support and hope to get a resolution soon. Of coarse it was a PITA because I had to take everything back apart and re-install factory parts. I was so looking forward to not have to wallow in the dirt to disconnect this weekend.
BTW, my local Jeep shop highly recommended the Rock Krawlers. I did like the Rancho solution for holding the links out of the way vs. a strap so i ordered the Rancho's instead. Maybe I should listen to the experts. :)
I had the very same issue!... the links are way too long... and I have the Rough Country 2.5 inch lift kit.. the long links combined with the brackets causes the sway bar to be at a 20 degree angle...

20190111_181312-3_zpspzitrd7m.jpg

also the links do not seem to have the appropriate curved shape to align with the sway bar...
20190111_181545-2_zps8t3z9wgf.jpg

Compare them against the Rough Country links:
20190111_190540-1_zpsluhwvwja.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
All that exposed thread appears unsafe or a sloppy design at minimum. It’s a good thing it’s a Jeep and not an airplane.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I had the very same issue!... the links are way too long... and I have the Rough Country 2.5 inch lift kit.. the long links combined with the brackets causes the sway bar to be at a 20 degree angle...

20190111_181312-3_zpspzitrd7m.jpg

also the links do not seem to have the appropriate curved shape to align with the sway bar...
20190111_181545-2_zps8t3z9wgf.jpg

Compare them against the Rough Country links:
20190111_190540-1_zpsluhwvwja.jpg
Yikes.... @RanchoShocks is this an issue?? I ordered these from 4WP a week or so ago (still haven’t arrived for me to pick up) but if THATS how they’re to be installed and people are seeing too much height like that, I’ll return them and figure something else out.

RanchoShocks

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
This is a non issue, and this is a popular item for us. Check out the install instruction attached. TO show how to adjust.
:)

Yikes.... @RanchoShocks is this an issue?? I ordered these from 4WP a week or so ago (still haven’t arrived for me to pick up) but if THATS how they’re to be installed and people are seeing too much height like that, I’ll return them and figure something else out.

Attachments

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a non issue, and this is a popular item for us. Check out the install instruction attached. TO show how to adjust.
:)
So the photo of the installed links with all the exposed thread is of someone who installed it incorrectly?

Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since they are adjustable a bit of thread show is OK. ;)
No I’m referring to the photo above where the top of the link doesn’t appear to fit into the sway bar itself

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Can we not manufacture a sway bar link so they are bent like the factory ones and still make them adjustable?

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not saying there should be a bent in it, but it doesn’t look good IF it’s supposed to not fully thread into the sway bar, as illustrated in the photo a few posts back. My guess is the person simply installed it wrong, but Rancho is apparently unable to confirm.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not poo-pooing Rancho's design at all just simply comparing them to JKS. The JKS links are straight as well but they do have a poly bushing that takes up that space where the disconnect attaches to the sway bar. I believe it is absolutely necessary to have that if the link is not bent because the way this is installed in the pics above, it will surely round out the hole in the sway bar very quick.

Sponsored

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've had the JKS on for 5,000 miles and so far no complaints. Easy on and off. Really like the pinned disconnect solution too.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not poo-pooing Rancho's design at all just simply comparing them to JKS. The JKS links are straight as well but they do have a poly bushing that takes up that space where the disconnect attaches to the sway bar. I believe it is absolutely necessary to have that if the link is not bent because the way this is installed in the pics above, it will surely round out the hole in the sway bar very quick.
I absolutely agree and I’m trying to get a straight answer from @RanchoShocks on this. For the sway bar link to not sit flush with the sway bar - even if by way of poly bushing - seems kind of silly. Hoping it’s as simple as the photo illustrates an incorrectly installed link.

See post #31, second photo where the sway bar meets the link... simple yes or No - is that “correct”

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely agree and I’m trying to get a straight answer from @RanchoShocks on this. For the sway bar link to not sit flush with the sway bar - even if by way of poly bushing - seems kind of silly. Hoping it’s as simple as the photo illustrates an incorrectly installed link.

See post #31, second photo where the sway bar meets the link... simple yes or No - is that “correct”
No. There is no way there should be a gap between the head of the disco and the sway bar. That would allow for movement and deterioration of both the bolt and the hole in the sway bar.

Sharkbite22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I just installed the Metalcloak disconnects today. They are long but very easy install and everything works great.

zKxJnA5.jpg

uQuglDm.jpg

xBBJlMk.jpg

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed the Metalcloak disconnects today. They are long but very easy install and everything works great.

zKxJnA5.jpg

uQuglDm.jpg

xBBJlMk.jpg
Is that too high of an angle??

I ordered my @RanchoShocks discos almost three weeks ago from 4 Wheel Parts. Still haven’t received them. They said they’re coming directly from Rancho..
Sponsored