In praise (or not) of ESS? **NO POLITICS**

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Though I agree with this statement, the method to "turning off" is BS. We should NOT have to depress a button during each use to disable, we should have a semi-permanent other than a TazerJL naturally provided by FCA in SW.
How many buttons did you push to complain about having to push a button? SMH
Sponsored

Ryno458

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU “Vader”
Vehicle Showcase
I've experienced an issue with ESS on my manual transmission where I've depressed the clutch, put it in first gear, and tried to go without the engine turning back on. So I've had to [quickly] put it back into neutral, take my foot off the clutch, and depress the break and start the process over in order for the engine to turn back on. This has happened a few times...most commonly in medians and other scenarios when I'm in neutral, almost stopped, and ESS and stopped the engine--but not a complete stop with the break fully engaged as it would be at a stop light/sign.

I suppose it could be because of my specific driving style...but it feels very unnerving in the moment when you want/need your vehicle to move and the engine isn't on.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes this has happened/ still happens to me. It normally happens when I’m at a light with a line of traffic behind me and in neutral. It is a problem imho.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Though I agree with this statement, the method to "turning off" is BS. We should NOT have to depress a button during each use to disable, we should have a semi-permanent other than a TazerJL naturally provided by FCA in SW.
That is a different issue than I was initially discussing, but I am 100% with you on the fact that ESS should be a setting that does not get re-set every time the engine starts (and I like how ESS functions).

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
So I've seen a lot of negative comments about ESS and I don't get it....

For me personally my experience of ESS is:

1 - it saves fuel and money
2 - it reduces emissions that contribute to climate change
3 - I actually like sitting at junctions or in traffic without the noise and vibration of the engine running (it's hardly the smoothest engine in the world)
4 - it reduces engine wear
5 - the engine always starts within the split second of taking my foot off the brake and moving to the accelerator so quickly and smoothly it's never an inconvenience

I don't subscribe to the view that the constant stop start increases wear on the starter motor etc to any great degree - pretty much every new car here in Europe comes with this system, but if there are other real life experiences I'll listen...

So what's not to like...?
Dislike.
There is no way the starter will last as long if it has to restart the Jeep 15 times on the way to the store.

I believe starting and stopping an engine causes more wear and tear that short moments at idle.

I think the fuel savings is negligible.

Not a fan and am going to but the module to disable it.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Dislike.
There is no way the starter will last as long if it has to restart the Jeep 15 times on the way to the store.
I think this thread is still having issues with the differences between the 2.0 & 3.6 ESS.

The 2.0 system uses the BSG to re-start the motor. Does the 3.6 operate in the same way?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
A bit less than a year ago (Apr 10, 2018), C&D issued an article titles "The Real Reason Stop/Start Systems Won't Stay Turned Off" that offers some interesting insights. Negative feedback on ESS is "extremely low", and that the off button was added to address the minority's opposition to the ESS system.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

The ESS Off button is non-latching (meaning you have to press it every time), "Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the EPA." Stop / start is estimated to boost fuel economy by 4-5%. Apparently Americans are more resistant to the new technology than folks in Europe, Japan, and elsewhere (shocker).

So those of you who want FCA to make the ESS disable permanent, fuggetaboutit... ain't gonna happen. CAFE standards aren't going away anytime soon. There are multiple aftermarket options to do this so I really don't get all the vehement reactions... seems like a silly thing to get all worked up about.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think this thread is still having issues with the differences between the 2.0 & 3.6 ESS.

The 2.0 system uses the BSG to re-start the motor. Does the 3.6 operate in the same way?
I'm interested in how the motor choice affected ESS like/dislike. Late last week I posted a poll to differentiate the motor and ESS like/dislike but nobody even replied. Thought it would have been an interesting discussion.

EDIT: I sit corrected.. there have been a handful of responses. So far 10 to 2 in favor of ESS total.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
A bit less than a year ago (Apr 10, 2018), C&D issued an article titles "The Real Reason Stop/Start Systems Won't Stay Turned Off" that offers some interesting insights. Negative feedback on ESS is "extremely low", and that the off button was added to address the minority's opposition to the ESS system.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-to-deactivate-stopstart-systems-temporarily/

The ESS Off button is non-latching (meaning you have to press it every time), "Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the EPA." Stop / start is estimated to boost fuel economy by 4-5%. Apparently Americans are more resistant to the new technology than folks in Europe, Japan, and elsewhere (shocker).

So those of you who want FCA to make the ESS disable permanent, fuggetaboutit... ain't gonna happen. CAFE standards aren't going away anytime soon. There are multiple aftermarket options to do this so I really don't get all the vehement reactions... seems like a silly thing to get all worked up about.
From the article linked above, will this work on the JL?
That has not stopped some people from turning to the internet for ways to shut it off for good. In one example on YouTube, a young man plugs a trailer-light tester into the hitch receiver of a 2018 Ford F-150 to show viewers how to permanently latch an otherwise nonlatching stop/start system.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From the article linked above, will this work on the JL?
There are a number of options out there to permanently disable the ESS system on the JL. Tazer, Superchips, and SmartStopStart to name a few all offer ways to disable the ESS system.

Personally, if I wanted to disable the ESS I would go with the SmartStopStart system:

From their website:
'18-'19 Jeep Wrangler JL (3.6L gas, 2.0L BSG gas and EXPORT 2.2 Diesel). The Wrangler JL SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

If ESS didn’t kick in the engine when you are shifting to park for a brief moment and then off again as you proceed to turn off the car I might have been fine with it.

Makes me cringe every time.
EXACTLY!!!! This aspect of the feature, where it turns the motor back on because it is shifted into park (typically to then be immediately turned off) is absolutely moronic and must be bad on the motor! ESS should be a user configurable preference within the control panel and I would much rather not have the headache of a second battery (that creates it's own logistical issues). I wish I could turn it off all the time so I didn't have to remember to turn it off each time I start it.

Unfortunately, the act of chasing any "politically correct" ideology rarely provides either utilitarian or economic benefit.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
There are a number of options out there to permanently disable the ESS system on the JL. Tazer, Superchips, and SmartStopStart to name a few all offer ways to disable the ESS system.

Personally, if I wanted to disable the ESS I would go with the SmartStopStart system:

From their website:
'18-'19 Jeep Wrangler JL (3.6L gas, 2.0L BSG gas and EXPORT 2.2 Diesel). The Wrangler JL SmartStopStart module easily plugs into two connectors under dashboard in about 5 minutes. The SmartStopStart DOES NOT disable the Security Gateway Module or require the OBDII port like 'programmer' type products do.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

I am mostly interested in the trailer light tester because of the cost: $3.99

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am mostly interested in the trailer light tester because of the cost: $3.99
No idea if that works on the JL or not. Since it's not a vehicle used to tow a lot, I have doubts the ESS would be tied into the trailer light circuit.
Sponsored