Sponsored

Tire Pressure - rely on TPMS or old fashion manual air pressure gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Wow....this thread really blew up, I’m confused now, as to what the argument actually is. All I know is my rig rides and drives the best at 32-33 psi. So in order to achieve this I set my pressure in the morning when tires are cold to 30 psi. I have my tpms set at 26 with tazer so I don’t get any alerts. This is what “ I DO” RIGHT OR WRONG I DONT CARE, this is how I assure that I’m not driving around on pressure higher than what I want it to be. I understand that it’s going to fluctuate, but at least I’ll be around my desired psi.... :)
@Roky your exactly right

Concept is actually simple

They are trying to confuse the issue now

If you SET your psi to desired driving psi when the tire is cold....your desired psi will increase above what you want once you start driving and the tires warm up. Sometimes by 4-5 psi.

Which is what I've been saying this entire time.

Dont take my word for it, test for yourself in real world.

If you want your tires at i.e. 35psi...you dont set your tires to this number when they are cold because once you start driving that number will increase to 38/39.

Set YOUR desired target psi after driving for about 20-30mins...

EVERYONE, dont take my word for it, test for yourself today

...some of the folks here are a bunch of google heros who dont have a clue
Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
The tires should be checked cold to ensure consistency. If the tires are warm, the PSI will reflect applied loads (ie. driver). Setting when warm will result in varied pressures when the tires return to a "cold" state.

Its an interesting thought to have all tires at the same pressures when warm, could be more efficient. Its really never occurred to me, but I'd probably freak out to see a different PSI on each tire. Of course, non-TPMS vehicles wouldn't create this OCD behavior.
This is correct

Your psi will not fluctuate if you set while they have been warmed from driving because that is there peak increase in pressure.

Of course the numbers will change depending on season and ambient temperature.

My psi is dead on every day when I check tpms while I'm driving.

Test for yourself

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
You obviously missed his last sentence... And you are choosing to misinterpret the manufacturers' instructions. They couldn't be more clear.
His last sentence has been my point this ENTIRE time

It's you who cant read or interpret things correctly

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys use the tire pressure monitoring system to set tire pressure , or do you use an old fashion manual tire pressure gauge...reason i'm asking, i'm getting different readings from both, and the manual says "
The TPMS should not be used as a tire pressure gauge
while adjusting your tire pressure."...i get that, but i set it with a manual tire pressure gauge at 38 cold, and the next morning, after using it for a day so the system can set, i check it again with the tire gauge, it reads 38, and on the tpms when i start the truck, it reads 41...not sure whats right ..??...i would like to keep it at 38 cold....
Anyway.... OP, to answer your question, my advice is to set your pressure and check it with gauge, and use tpms to make sure your pressures are maintaining, they will fluctuate, so if you want a true reading just make sure your checking pressures at the same time. In other words, don’t check in morning one day and check after driving the next day.....Sorry your thread got blown up...... :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can't believe this thread is still seeing action. I was not going to comment in this thread, but ....

Anyway, the best time to adjust tire pressure is when the vehicle has not been driven in hours. Best time to adjust pressures is in the morning before the Sun warms the tires and the after vehicle has sat all night.

When you adjust your tire pressure when tires are cold, do keep in mind what you want your target tire pressure to be after the tires have warmed up.

You can try to adjust tire pressures on a vehicle that has been driven / when the tires are warm, but this is not the recommended / preferred way.

It's recommended by tire manufacturer's, in your owner's manual...everywhere., to adjust pressure when tires are cold.

Any talk in this thread about always drive your vehicle a few miles to warm up the tires before you adjust tire pressures is pure bullchitt.

Again...Yes, do keep in mind your target psi, but don't be fooling with / adjusting your tire psi, when the tires are warm/hot unless you have to.

Of course, if you are in a situation where you must adjust your tire pressures when the vehicle's tires are warm / the vehicle has been driven, then do follow-up, the next morning with a proper tire pressure adjustment.

In closing, do not believe all the bullchitt in this thread ..... and the follow-up smoke screen posts to cover up the nonsense. This thread is the poster child so to speak, for why you should always, verify/double check the chitt you read on a friggin forum.

Take the time to Google research and learn for yourself what is right in regard to adjusting your tire pressures on a vehicle.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

this is the best thread so far for drinking my coffee on a Monday morning. page 238 in the wrangler owners manual. for all of you none googler's that like to follow the specs given by the manufacture.:like: Have a great day.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Can't believe this thread is still seeing action. I was not going to comment in this thread, but ....

Anyway, the best time to adjust tire pressure is when the vehicle has not been driven in hours. Best time to adjust pressures is in the morning before the Sun warms the tires and the after vehicle has sat all night.

When you adjust your tire pressure when tires are cold, do keep in mind what you want your target tire pressure to be after the tires have warmed up.

You can try to adjust tire pressures on a vehicle that has been driven / when the tires are warm, but this is not the recommended / preferred way.

It's recommended by tire manufacturer's, in your owner's manual...everywhere., to adjust pressure when tires are cold.

Any talk in this thread about always drive your vehicle a few miles to warm up the tires before you adjust tire pressures is pure bullchitt.

Again...Yes, do keep in mind your target psi, but don't be fooling with / adjusting your tire psi, when the tires are warm/hot unless you have to.

Of course, if you are in a situation where you must adjust your tire pressures when the vehicle's tires are warm / the vehicle has been driven, then do follow-up, the next morning with a proper tire pressure adjustment.

In closing, do not believe all the bullchitt in this thread ..... and the follow-up smoke screen posts to cover up the nonsense. This thread is the poster child so to speak, for why you should always, verify/double check the chitt you read on a friggin forum.

Take the time to Google research and learn for yourself what is right in regard to adjusting your tire pressures
this is the best thread so far for drinking my coffee on a Monday morning. page 238 in the wrangler owners manual. for all of you none googler's that like to follow the specs given by the manufacture.:like: Have a great day.
Most accurate way to get your target psi is adjusting after they are warm from driving.

I said "adjust" not "check"

After driving 30mins my psi are SPOT ON, every single day I get same psi in each tire. 36front/37rear.

Everyone is misenturperuting the instruction. Jeep owners manual even says to account for the increased pressure once they are warmed up. Read it thouroghly.

Read this article if so choose(tons out there)
http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/tire-pressure.html

Ya'll crack me up with your check "google" scholar bs. I dont rely on google, I live in real life while the rest of you sit home and google everything.
Screenshot_20190401-090607_Chrome.jpg
20190401_090818.jpg

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Well crap! Now I’m gonna have to redo mine, you have link to which phase?....;)
No but it’s online somewhere. Just remember if you have e rated tires you have to sacrifice a chicken first too;)

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

:LOL: i love how defensive people are on this tire pressure. i can tell you that tps is ruining people. grownin up i only check the air cold and once every couple weeks. as long as my 76 pickup has air in it it was all good. happly drove me from a to b and back. to much information is making people crazy:turkey: anyways i set mine to factory cold spec and its always running about 38 unless im aired down. never failed me doing it from cold know its going to be about 4-5 psi higher while driving further than 30 mins. its not rocket the rocket science everyone is trying to make it out to be.....

dont forget to check your tread life with a penny :like: anything lower than Lincoln's head your due for a tires . let that check the arguement lol!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Wow....this thread really blew up, I’m confused now, as to what the argument actually is. All I know is my rig rides and drives the best at 32-33 psi. So in order to achieve this I set my pressure in the morning when tires are cold to 30 psi. I have my tpms set at 26 with tazer so I don’t get any alerts. This is what “ I DO” RIGHT OR WRONG I DONT CARE, this is how I assure that I’m not driving around on pressure higher than what I want it to be. I understand that it’s going to fluctuate, but at least I’ll be around my desired psi.... :)
It would ride even better at 25.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
@Roky your exactly right

Concept is actually simple

They are trying to confuse the issue now

If you SET your psi to desired driving psi when the tire is cold....your desired psi will increase above what you want once you start driving and the tires warm up. Sometimes by 4-5 psi.

Which is what I've been saying this entire time.

Dont take my word for it, test for yourself in real world.

If you want your tires at i.e. 35psi...you dont set your tires to this number when they are cold because once you start driving that number will increase to 38/39.

Set YOUR desired target psi after driving for about 20-30mins...

EVERYONE, dont take my word for it, test for yourself today

...some of the folks here are a bunch of google heros who dont have a clue
Great. Now you are the JL forum hero. After reading numerous posts on this forum I would trust @Rhinebeck01 experience and knowledge over yours. Everyone should do what they wish with their tires. There is plenty of info available for everyone to make their own decision without having to be insulted or accused of wearing tin foil hats.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This thread is funny. I think it boils down to semantics. Some people, Northeastbst, think target psi is the PSI they want when the tires are warmed up while others think target psi is the PSI the manufacturers suggest when tires are cold. I don't think anyone disagrees that air pressure builds with heat.

I set my tire pressure to 29 cold, I have large tires on stock wheels, knowing full well the tire pressure will eventually rise 3 degrees. I don't lose any sleep over one or two degrees either. Another note, it's better to be over inflated than under inflated.

And for your amusement:
pressure.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.