Help me choose a wheel/tire combo

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Like the title states. Help me choose a wheel tire combo. 35" tire. 30% of the year is spent off road in rocky terrain. I also do wheel it.
30 min highway commute to work each way daily also.

Leaning towards the KO2. Like the look of a MT better if its quiet enough.
Wheels i have no clue. I got the rubi with the "upgraded wheels" which i will prob sell as a package with the stock 33".

I do plan to lift it 2-3" as soon as they become available but would like to get the new shoes on asap.

dont know much about wheels ie proper back spacing ect.
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Check out the Cooper STT Pro's. I love them and will be putting them on my Jeep when my lift is ready. Some good info here and I can attest to the noise cancelling tech in the tire.

Start at 1:39

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic of Fuel Vectors with 33.6" KO2's on my F-150. For the JLU, I'm going with the same wheels with STT Pros (35"). Sorry not on a Jeep yet, but maybe this will help you visualize.

FX4 Compressed.jpg

OP
OP
wesbowhunts

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i need to know what size wheel to go with. 5x5 lug pattern correct? what bs, offset , width? 17x9?

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
i need to know what size wheel to go with. 5x5 lug pattern correct? what bs, offset , width? 17x9?
AFAIK, anything that works with the JK will work on the JL. Difference is, per what I've read, is that you can mount 35's on the JL with no lift. However, I'd still lift it 2" with 35's just to make sure there is clearance at full stuff. To that end, look at Fuel's website or most other large brands and configure wheels for the JK. You should be good.

Sponsored

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
AFAIK, anything that works with the JK will work on the JL. Difference is, per what I've read, is that you can mount 35's on the JL with no lift. However, I'd still lift it 2" with 35's just to make sure there is clearance at full stuff. To that end, look at Fuel's website or most other large brands and configure wheels for the JK. You should be good.
I disagree with this statement, the wheel’s lug nut counter bore on certain wheel designs, may not be large enough to allow for the increased 14 mm lug nut on some JK compliant wheels.

sandtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S 2-door
Like the title states. Help me choose a wheel tire combo. 35" tire. 30% of the year is spent off road in rocky terrain. I also do wheel it.
30 min highway commute to work each way daily also.

Leaning towards the KO2. Like the look of a MT better if its quiet enough.
Wheels i have no clue. I got the rubi with the "upgraded wheels" which i will prob sell as a package with the stock 33".

I do plan to lift it 2-3" as soon as they become available but would like to get the new shoes on asap.

dont know much about wheels ie proper back spacing ect.
For tires also check out:
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Both are AT tires with more aggressive tread like a hybrid MT/AT. I used to run Goodyear Duratrac on my JK but the Nitto Rodge Grapplers are way better on highway and amazing in the snow/slush. My Brother and dad just got the Falkens in their TJ & Chevy Silverado 2500 and they are awesome, just not quite as aggressive looking from the side but they have deep treads. I do like the KO2 but they more expensive than the Nitto RG and Falken.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
For tires also check out:
Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Both are AT tires with more aggressive tread like a hybrid MT/AT. I used to run Goodyear Duratrac on my JK but the Nitto Rodge Grapplers are way better on highway and amazing in the snow/slush. My Brother and dad just got the Falkens in their TJ & Chevy Silverado 2500 and they are awesome, just not quite as aggressive looking from the side but they have deep treads. I do like the KO2 but they more expensive than the Nitto RG and Falken.
I’m going with ridge grapplers, basically a hybrid at/mt and I live in a lot of snow. Most people get 40k+ out of them. Seem like the best all around.
I also researched Toyo open country, duratracs, cooper sst but wanted best for snow and least noise

ZeeCutt

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLUR
I’m going with ridge grapplers, basically a hybrid at/mt and I live in a lot of snow. Most people get 40k+ out of them. Seem like the best all around.
I also researched Toyo open country, duratracs, cooper sst but wanted best for snow and least noise
if you go a 17" wheel look for something close to a 4.5" backspace, the stock wheel is 6.25" so the 4.5 will stick out 1.75 more than stock at a 0 offset... a more positive offset will slide the wheel in towards the jeep and a negative will pop it out.. i would shoot for a 0 offset up to a -18. Get a 5x5 or 5x127 lug pattern and shoot for a 8.5" - 10" wide wheel to open up the 35" tire... the KO2 is awesome, the STT Pro is too, if you want a really nice, quiet mud tire, look at the Mastercraft Courser MXT, its a mud tire that is d rated and lighter than the KO2 and made by Cooper... you can buy it in a 315/70/17 and it is essentially the same size as the 35x12.5x17 but less money and more readily available.

Rubicon29527

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKURHR
I run Trail Grapplers and I have almost 70k on them. Rotation and correct air pressure is the key

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have been running general grabber ATs for a while now and really like them if you are looking at an AT tire.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
Like Mattyp1214 I also run Trail Grapplers in 275/70R18. I have 84K on mine and will go over 100K for sure. For added winter traction, I siped the center 2/3s of the tires (stay away from the edges.

Will run these again on the new JL

jjw
ND

Powdrmut

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2018 JL Rubicon
This question especially goes out to folks who have received their new JLs....The standard features Wrangler Rubicon pages received when I ordered my Rubicon shows LT285/70R17C BSW off road tires. The “All-New Jeep Wrangler-walk around page” - standard content - shows
33”BFG KO2 A/T tires....dealer is no help! Thoughts? I would like to upgrade to 35” tires, on stock Rubi rims if possible....AZCrawl mentioned Cooper STT Pro tires.. Thoughts? Last ? Would like to install these new Rubi tires on my GC Jeep, currently has. Goodyear Fortera P245/70 R17 tires (Dia. 30.5”/width 9.6”/sidewall 6.8”........possible? Thanks for any input
Sponsored